Fetch TV purchased digital content stuck with Optus account

If you have a Fetch TV that you got with your ISP, all your TV shows and movies you have purchased on Fetch are only available if you stay with that ISP.

Am I the only one who thinks this seems unfair?

I have used a FetchTV for several years with my Optus cable account which eventually became my NBN account, optus have all of a sudden increased the cost though so I think it’s time to leave. I was going to buy a fetch outright this time, but I checked their FAQ and also asked through a support ticket if it’s true and it is, you can buy a new fetch but you won’t have access to the the content you purchased, well you can through their app on your phone but that stinks. I would have thought it was a fair assumption if I buy a show on one fetch I can always use it on another of the same device. Thoughts?

2 Likes

Thats how it ought to be but sadly, if you buy through a provider, it isn’t. Optus owns your Fetch and its content forever. Its a bad deal. Friends of mine were considering doing it but fortunately they took my advice to heart and just got a mighty second hand. It’s served them well. I bought mine new but have been v happy with it (until they dropped some channels from the Variety bundle)… now I hardly ever use it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks for making me feel not crazy haha. Yeah I never would have bought any content if I’d had known it was locked to the ISP. I’ll have a look to see if it’s buried in the terms and conditions. It’s certainly not a normal expectation that this is how it would work. Thankfully I only bought a couple of seasons of shows as you can’t rent shows of course. Good on you for convincing your friend to get one outright. I was considering the JB refurb ones, I don’t need 4K yet.

2 Likes

Here’s another, similar, trap. I had a BBC First subscription for a couple of years and during that period I recorded a number of their programs. Eventually I decided that there was very little new and interesting material on offer, and I cancelled the subscription. The downloaded episodes were still listed among my recordings, but when I went to play them I’d get an error message saying that in order to view them I’d need to have a current subscription. To me that too seems all wrong.

3 Likes

Yeah fetch do this too. Annoying but at least each episode wasn’t paid for individually. I think the most annoying part of my issue is that these days you would assume if you buy a show with google or Apple or Amazon or whatever that you take that content across their respective devices. Imagine if you bought a series on Apple TV and then you had to pay for it again on an iPad. Getting a new fetch box should mean you keep your old content you bought on it, (recordings I understand are too big to transfer), linking to the ISP account isn’t expected behaviour I don’t think anyway.

2 Likes