Feedback on CHOICE Unfair Trading article

Edit: To avoid the discussion on Unfair Trading laws going off topic, which we feel is a critically important consumer issue, feedback on the way this article has been presented has been moved to an appropriate thread so we can address accordingly. The article is here:

What new laws? Has something been signed into law that has escaped everyone’s notice? Is there something before Parliament?

And if just a proposal discussion paper, that says nothing about financial products, how can something that doesn’t exist, help boost your super?

How has Choice become so ‘tabloid’ in just a few years!

The English language being what it is and not Latin often delivers more than one way to interpret a phrase or sentence. We rely on context to determine what is intended more often than we may realise. Reading the linked article in full provided the context I needed.

The message I took away was worth the time to read.
One might take the opportunity to ask one’s Federal MP whether they also want to boost one’s super by supporting fairer.
Worth asking knowing their employer super contribution is 15.4% of base salary.

5 Likes

This is exactly like click bait. And I have noticed more of this coming from Choice.

You see a headline that encourages you to read something, in this case boosting your money, and then see the real story, which in this case is just a hope that sometime maybe a Gov would consider dealing with some minor issue. Brought up by some interest group.

Context has nothing to do with it.

1 Like

In short:

1. The federal government is in the consultation phase about unfair business conduct.
  2. Super Consumer Australia is lobbying to have financial services included in the scope of the deliberations.
  3. Choice published an article describing the situation.
  4. The article’s headline speculates that action could boost your super.

Your complaint skims across all those points.

Should governments not consult before framing new laws or should lobbyists not lobby until they are enacted?

The point here is that the lobbying is trying to get the scope expanded to include superannuation but strangely you criticise the fact that hasn’t happened yet. Would you rather they sit and hope the scope is increased by some other method and then get in the game?

Do you object to Choice publishing articles on their action campaigns (or an affiliate in this case) in progress? Part of lobbying is to encourage public interest and support. Publishing only after the event is fine but loses an opportunity.

Would it be OK if the headline said “Our aim is to have unfair trading forbidden from the super industry as it will help boost super balances if customers can more easily choose better products”? If this is not the aim then what is it?

“How unfair trading laws could boost your retirement fund” is saying the essentials only more concisely. There is nothing wrong with brevity when the details and the reasoning behind it is in the following article. Yes it is speculative but lobbying campaigns do describe the result they aim to bring about which is in the future.

So you would like to avoid short and attention getting headlines and make them comprehensive and detailed. But then they wouldn’t be headlines.

A long answer to a short question but that’s the nature of the Gish Gallop

5 Likes

This may interest those who research interest groups. As I do.

Let’s call it SCA. It is effectively a part of Choice.

Pay attention to page 13 of their annual report. Now it is not the most recent year but the last. Almost all of their revenue is from Gov grants, and almost all their costs are payments to Choice for provision of services.

Busted Choice!!

So now you gallop away from claims of click-bait advertising over to innuendos of collusion. If Choice is so terrible why do you have anything to do with them?

Choice makes a point that they evaluate products without any influence from providers. That is why I subscribed decades ago.

Choice has campaigns to try to influence Gov decisions. Good stuff.

Choice tries to educate consumers on issues, whether a subscriber or not, that affect everyone. Great stuff.

Choice provides a Community, warts and all, for interested people to provide their experiences and help.

But I DO NOT subscribe to Choice to put up with self-promoting articles, as in this case, or clearly CLICK BAIT.

Lobbyists of all flavours and politics tend to cooperate with others of the same persuasion.

You have applauded that Choice runs campaigns to influence government, why is an article on the work of an affiliate any different?

Why do you claim revealing their financial arrangements is “busting” them? This kind of thing is very common and as you found in this case it is not kept a secret.

You haven’t said yet, how do you distinguish between click-bait and a headline? If Choice is to publish such articles how should they do it differently?

3 Likes

Seriously?

Any article to be taken seriously should declare possible sources of influence, funding, references to external information, and disclosures of bias.

This article posted is a fail on all the above and either Choice declare, or just delete the entire topic.

Discuss or delete?

I would I hope that Choice is influenced by allies and affiliates and is influenced in turn, there is no point in collaboration without it.

So before galloping over to better disclosure, what happened to click bait, is that done?

Of course not.
What part of “How new unfair trading laws could help boost your super” is not click bait to entice one to an article of no merit. Talking about stuff that is fairy dust.
But at least it didn’t entice one to sign up to read the full content. But hey, maybe it did to readers who may not be a member. Not sure on that point.

Thank you for the comments and feedback @mark_m, @syncretic and @Gregr. As mentioned in my edit at the top of this post, I’ve moved this part of the discussion to a new thread to allow for on-topic discussion about unfair trading laws, which are important developments to our country’s consumer law. Please refer to our guidelines about staying on topic for more.

I’ve placed a cooldown timer on this topic for 24 hours, to allow us to reflect and respond to this feedback. Your comments are important to us and we believe we have enough information for the purpose of consideration for now, and we don’t wish to cause any unnecessary frustration or for conversations to become circular, which does not improve improve the discussion (again, please refer to the guidelines if needed).

Thank you @syncretic, you have succinctly summarised the purpose of the article, our need to have a voice in consultations on new laws and new regulations (these consultations are a Cabinet requirement and an important part of the process).

We are always happy to receive feedback, positive and negative, and will consider it carefully. So far, the negative feedback is that the article lined at the top of this page is ‘tabloid’. For reference, the Collins definition of tabloid:

A tabloid is a newspaper that has small pages, short articles, and lots of photographs . Tabloids are often considered to be less serious than other newspapers.

Objectively, I don’t think this article meets the definition of tabloid. Generally, if what is meant is lower quality or sensationalist pop culture material, I also question whether this is the best way to address the issue of the presentation of this article. While we do take on all feedback, please understand we need to encompass all the feedback we receive from our 200K+ members, and that constructive feedback is most highly regarded.

Informing consumers about important issues and the way we are contributing to the conversation forms a part of our content. The article on unfair trading laws and their affect on super, attempts to summarise some of this activity. We acknowledge that it assumes some context, so for some people, for example those unaware of regulatory processes, it may require further reading outside the article. We provide links to the Treasury’s Regulatory Impact Statement in the article for this purpose. For others, it may not provide enough information. CHOICE is not a tabloid by definition, but it is not an academic journal either. We will do our best to bridge the gap and present information in an accessible way for consumers.

@Gregr, I note that this has been a frequent criticism you have levelled at CHOICE. You are a CHOICE member, your feedback and support is valued to us. I’m sorry that you feel this way, it’s not our intent to frustrate anyone. CHOICE produces a wide variety of content. During our 60+ year history, we have also produced a great deal of lifestyle content, some of it is not serious in nature. It occurs alongside harder hitting investigations that are very serious, and in our more recent history - campaigns and policy work, which is the case with this article.

It can be quite difficult to get people interested and talking about financial regulation, even if it is important at an individual level such as is the case with superannuation. If you have constructive suggestions on how we can better cover these issues and attract attention to these important consumer topics, please feel free to make your suggestions below.

Next, we have an allegation that this is clickbait. From Merriam Webster:

: something (such as a headline) designed to make readers want to click on a hyperlink especially when the link leads to content of dubious value or interest
It is difficult to remember a time when you could scroll through the social media outlet of your choice and not be bombarded with: You’ll never believe what happened when … This is the cutest thing ever … This the biggest mistake you can make … Take this quiz to see which character you are on … They are all classic clickbait models.
—Emily Shire

We do aim to write headlines that entice readers to want to click through to our website, this is true. Is this content of dubious value or interest? It should be apparent without further explanation as to why CHOICE, a consumer group, feels this matter is of interest.

I take it to mean that the headline, ‘How unfair trading laws could boost your retirement fund’ is pointing out these unfair trading laws will have an impact on retirement funds, and that this information did not meet expectation. We say in the subheading, " it’s vital that new unfair trading laws also apply to financial services, including superannuation." In a literal sense, our position is that including superannuation under these laws will boost retirement funds. In the article, we include the example of ‘fund failure letters’. This is a specific example to expand on the real world consequences of the current law and its effect on retirement funds, and explains why it should be improved.

Regardless, we understand in this case from your response, that the framing has clearly not worked for you and we apologise. Headlines, and how articles are framed, are open to some interpretation. How would others frame this issue, or what is the best way to talk about this topic? Constructive answers to this question will be valued and considered.

The below disclosure is contained in the article:

This content was produced by Super Consumers Australia which is an independent, nonprofit consumer organisation partnering with CHOICE to advance and protect the interests of people in the Australian superannuation system.

More information about Super Consumers Australia, is readily available. We would not be discussing this if the information and declaration was not readily available.

Funding is a common complaint that we need to address. All the information about our funding is provided transparently on our website, it is quite lengthy and not practical to include in full on every published article when the information is already provided in a dedicated space. We occasionally undergo partnerships in various areas, and this is always clearly disclosed. We believe our current disclosures meet best practice, and follow or improve upon other entities. Nonetheless, I will raise the disclosure notice, including this discussion, with a team independent to the CHOICE Community for review.

The simple reality is CHOICE needs funding for its continued existence, and this is mostly via memberships. For some people, any funding whatsoever = is outright evil, and for those people, CHOICE is unlikely to meet their standards. I hope they apply them to all aspects of their life and wish them well. Over the years, no matter how many times or the different ways we provide this information, we are still met with criticism and scepticism on this matter.

But, this is okay. I’m glad we attract skeptical people, those who take the time to look into these matters. Hopefully, when they look, they will see the details that we have attempted to make plain. I hope the prompts contribute to the independent, enduring nature of CHOICE. If collaboration, partnerships and the need for funding, and the way CHOICE is going about it, are concerns, that is something for each individual to assess and decide for themselves. Hopefully the value of the information and reviews we provide, coupled with the value of the advocacy work we carry out benefiting all Australians and the support we offer consumers each day contributes to this decision.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 20 hours.

So any time Choice has a campaign for change that is not yet accomplished they should not produce articles on it as such have no merit?

If you take the contrary view that at least some articles on work in progress have merit you might tell us specifically why in this case it has none. How would it have been written to be meritorious in your eyes?

1 Like

Thankyou @BrendanMays for a very considered and detailed post on the objection I raised.
I have been a subscriber of Choice for a long time. Over 30 years now, and feel I get very good value for that money over those years.

My first issue is with headlines that indicate a different story to what the content actually says.

In this case the first part is ‘new laws’. Well there aren’t new laws, just discussion papers for consideration by the Gov. The second part is ‘boost your super’. Which is the opposite of what the article says since financial issues are not being considered.

A more suitable topic headline would, in my view, be ‘Proposed new unfair trading laws will exclude super and why that could continue to affect retirees’.

My second issue is with journalism standards.

And yes, I do comment on articles that I see as lacking journalistic rigour. That do not seem to be subject to fact checking. Articles purporting to factual that are simply not checked by any editorial process. Articles that are clearly biased and that bias is either not disclosed, or hidden at the bottom of an article in tiny print.

Not talking about Choice here, but posts from others that include links or copies from other sources.

But if I pay for content, I expect quality. Sometimes Choice as a content provider trips up. And I feel free to comment.

Now, a third point.

All very well to have partnerships with other organizations like SCA, and carry their campaigns to a wider audience that Choice provides, but it should be prominently disclosed that almost all their funding comes from the taxpayer, and is then directed to Choice to provide services. Interesting that SCA location is Marrickville. Same road too. Sounds familiar.

3 Likes