Faulty Lodging - Hotel & Motel Fails

@mark_m suggested a fun topic for hotel and motel horror stories, the inspiration for Faulty Lodging.

3 Likes

Not necessarily.

Around a decade ago, we had the misfortune to stay overnight at the Windmill Motel in Mackay.

The totally disinterested, discourteous and unhelpfull employees claimed thet the only available room for 2 people was the disability “suite” on the ground floor in the separate building, which seemed very strange as we ended up being the only vehicle parked outside it…

The queen bed had collapsed in the middle and all we could do was to keep trying to climb out of the depression all night long.

To add insult to injury, the wi-fi would not work so we could not get updates on the road conditions between Mackay and Cairns following a cyclone that had passed throught the area that night, and we ended up getting badly bogged when trying to circumvent the flooded highway.

This was the worst mattress and the worst motel we have ever experienced in our lives.

The 1 star reviews on Tripadvisor sum this place up perfectly.

5 Likes

Rest assured! There are worse. Mattress optional.
(Accidental pun)

Thought bubble:
Probably deserving a topic heading of it’s own if there is not one already. “The worst night in a motel or hotel - share your stories”. Not sure if the most unappealing room experience qualifies for an award. The accommodation provider might.

We have stayed at that Windmill at least five times starting from the very first few months it was opened. I doubt our views are still relevant. Motels change chains, owners, managers and need refurbs on a regular basis. It had dropped in standard, the last time we stayed not quite 8 years back, but not to the point it was terrible. Just very ordinary. I’d not comment on how good or bad it might be today. Many of the Mackay motels had empty car parks as it was a regular stop over for coach tours. As we both also know it has also been a regular halfway stop for the coastal Brisbane to Cairns road trips. Although Mackay might look like the motel capital of NQ, it would often book out on any week night and some weekends.

4 Likes

Many years ago on a spur of the moment we went for a road trip down the south coast of NSW. We hadn’t booked or planned, we just packed a bag and went. On arriving at a nice motel that had a decent looking dining room we got the good news and the bad news. Yes we could get dinner but no they didn’t have a room. But they were professional and offered to help. So they phoned ahead down the coast while we ate and then came the worse news, no vacancies nearby but one at the pub about two more towns south. Having no choice we said OK.

The “room” was a converted first floor verandah right on the main street. It had certainly seen better days but it was late and we were very tired so paid in advance.

The mattress was a honeymoon special, it was so collapsed in the middle that you rolled/slid in until each prevented the other from going any further. It was a hot night and we were exhausted so cuddles were not on the agenda. The floor was not inviting as the “carpet” had almost no pile and smelled bad. Then the mossies attacked, a quick inspection revealed no screens on the windows. Despite being really hot (no aircon of course) closing the windows would have done nothing as there were gaps everywhere where the enclosure of a once open verandah had failed. I dressed and went downstairs to demand fly spray from the night clerk. Then the semi trailers started. This was before bypasses were common and most towns were still on the highway. It sounded like the trucks were coming through the room not passing by outside. As the night wore on and the chance of a speeding ticket waned their speed through the deserted town increased.

We arose and dressed in yesterday’s clothes before sunrise, sweaty and still exhausted and were the first in the door for breakfast and coffee at the truckstop just out of town. I can’t recall the name of the town or the pub - must have blocked it out.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, I did not join Tripadvisor until 2015 so I could not retrospectively give this dump a well deserved bad review as it was more than 12 months prior.

However, judging by the 1 & 2 star reviews, nothing has changed in the past decade.

Whilst trying to find it, we happened to drive past an old style single storey motel called Bona Vista which had a sandwich board outside “Under New Management” but we kept going.

It actually had better ratings on Tripadvisor.and it was much cheaper. It certainly could not have been worse.

As they say, you can’t judge a book by its cover.

PS.
I recall that there was no toaster in the room and there was a sign on the wall stating that if the smoke alarm went off, the fire brigade would attend, and the guest would be charged $1,200 for the callout fee.

What sort of a dive not only fails to provide a toaster, but threatens to charge guests $1,200 for a fire brigade callout?

2 Likes