Fairy Lights & Spray Bottles

There are 2 purchases I have seen that always fail, and are a danger to the environment. Solar powered fairy lights, and the small 500ml-1litre spray bottles.
First fairy lights, no matter the price, they all fail. And why do they fail in my eyes? They are not made to last in the sunlight or the outdoors! Does that sound stupid? Yes, I’m sure it does but they are so badly made that the solar panel degrades and stops working, or they collect rainwater as they are not waterproof and the cheap materials degrade. They are not recyclable so all end up in the bin or just remain in the environment.
The others are spray bottles. If you just use water in them, after a short period of time they just stop working. No matter if your clean them out or pull them apart, they will never work again. Can someone help me get them going again, please. I have had so many but I just can’t get them working so Ive wasted many dollars. Again they then are uselss and need to be thrown out.

10 Likes

Spray bottles - I’ve had a few and most die as you say, particularly the spray mechanism. However I now use Proc Plas (it might be Prac Plas - bit hard to make out o or a). PBT Seals. Withstand solvents & harsh chemicals 500ml bottles Made in Australia.

I bought them at our local Rural Supplies and found them to be long lasting and the spray uptake goes right to the bottom with a small screen, with a sturdy adjustable spray mechanism. $6.50, but you may find them cheaper closer to civilisation.

Over years, only one failed, and that was the bottle cracked. I use them for small quantities of chemicals (Round-Up, mildew milk mix, Rogor etc), vinegar to spray on ants, water for haircuts, metho for sterilising orchard cropping & pruning tools.

Fairy Lights - I have given up on solar lights as even the expensive ones have the solar fail, either corroded electrics and/or batteries, or the panel fails. I bought battery operated fairy lights and only put the 2 AAAs in when I want them on. They seem to have lasted out in the weather. I bought them from a “cheap” shop, so I don’t have a brand. About $2, more than 3 years ago.

7 Likes

We don’t purchase spray bottles, but repurpose the spray bottles when we buy products such as bathroom cleaners. The triggers on these bottles last many months of daily use. The added benefit is they cost nothing.

When the original contents are used up, give them a good rinse, including filling and spraying with clean water a few times, and they are a perfect alternative.

Agree that most are poor quality and aren’t made to last.

Fairy lights also serve no purpose and are a product which highlights the worst points of consumerism. That being, buying more plastic for no real purpose or function, other than looking at them thinking ‘they look nice’.

7 Likes

If the tiny LEDs were not so cheap to make it would not be possible to buy long strings of them for so little. There are districts that have competitions to determine who has most gone overboard with festooning their house with this rubbish. This never happened before they were so cheap.

Their availability and cheapness has created a market that was not there before.

4 Likes

I’ve tried to reuse spray bottles from purchased cleaners, and they do work for a longer period, but when you buy refills and use other cleaners, you end up running out when they fail! In the garden I have had a 20 year old Hills 10l spray bottle that has never failed. I have brought one or 2 since, and they barely last a few years. I’ve again used the outside ones with pretty much just water and that makes no difference. I suspect its the same as a lot of things now adays. Designed to fail.

4 Likes

If the nozzle of a spray bottle is blocked, soak it in near boiling water. Then, if the bottle is empty, part fill with near boiling water and and test the sprayer.

2 Likes

Good tip. I’ve tried a variety of cheap and not so cheap brand name spray bottles. They may suit soapy water. They always fail before the first fill has been consumed or within a refill or two. I no longer bother with them and use a Hills branded hand pressure sprayer with brass nozzle instead. The last thing one needs is garden chemicals or herbicide dripping all over your gloves and hand before dripping where it’s not wanted.

4 Likes

Had a look at my spray bottles. One the same as the ProcPlas has a label ProTecta with Canyon Nozzle. The Nozzle is branded Canyon Corporation, Model CHS-3AN. All the nozzles are Canyon. The label on the bottle is fading like an inkjet printed sticker making it hard to read.

I highly recommend the Canyon spray mechanism. The one bottle that cracked, I replaced with another screw-on bottle, but not all fit.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’ll have a look around for a couple.

1 Like

Is it this product?
https://protecta.com.au/spray-bottle-empty-500ml-multipurpose-cmp-sbe.html

3 Likes

These are the bottles. I couldn’t find them with a quick search. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Got it!

Canyon is a manufacturer of Trigger Sprays in a variety of designs. Appears they come from Britain/Europe or Japan. The black triggers in the style of your pics appear to be purposed especially for chemicals. Hence important to know the difference and check with the supplier before purchasing per @zackarii post.

I found numerous cleaning supplies companies selling them in multi colours for “light liquids” with or without bottles. The black chemical grade appear to be more commonly sold through companies selling chemical or paint related products. I’d expect any half decent local rural or agricultural supplier would carry them. Also possibly available from the larger cleaning products suppliers. Not a Bunnings stocked item.

EG
CANYON SUPER BLACK – CHEMICAL RESISTANT
Canyon Chemical Resistant Trigger Spray | Sydney Solvents

2 Likes

I now suspect that the bottle and nozzle are separate, but put together by various companies for retail. The nozzles are all Canyon Model CHS-3AN, but the bottles are different brands.

There are two distinct makes in the bottles. One type has raised letters: PLASPAK, the other unmarked. Both have the recycle symbol 2 - HDPE or High Density Polyethylene. One type has two base indents, the other one, one type is slightly rounded on the bottom which make it a little wobbly on flat surfaces, the other a slight concave which sits firmly. All bought from the same Rural Supplies.

2 Likes

Regarding spray bottles reusing ones, seems to be effective and hardly seem to fail. Fairy lights are sold as an item which look glamorous in a online advert or on packaging but commonly fail as everyone else says. Bring back the older style normal globe size where one can change globes. Mind you one needs to connect to mains power. At least a globe is only thing to fail. I suppose its just money to retailers. I only noticed shops already selling Christmas things… Meaning selling outside lights.im not sure if choice has ever tested on quality of fairy lights

1 Like

Wow,I’m not sure where you buy the solar lights that are for outdoor use. I’ve got some that are almost 5 years old that still work. They have rechargeable batteries so if we have a few days in a row where it’s cloudy I can give them a boost. As for spray bottles again I have 3 that I use for dishes solutions without any problems. The ones I do have problems with are products that kill weeds. Once the bottle gets to about half full they definitely stop working so, I buy a new bottle and tip half into the previous bottle and they work !!!

Is why i use “Trinature” spray bottles. They work!!!

1 Like

I tried the everyday spray bottles with a variety of chemical mixes because they were readily available. They seemed like a good idea at the time when only a small quantity was required.

The most common failure was the trigger pump leaking out from just above the trigger all over my hand (chemical safe gloved). That might be ok if it’s a weak dish washing liquid solution, dilute KOH etc. Although what they then drip on might be something one cares for.

There’s ongoing press about the possible effects of contact exposure with a common weed killer, and known risks for a variety of other chemicals. Would wisdom be to choose a chemical grade trigger spray, or potentially negligent to choose otherwise to suffer in the future?

1 Like

I have been having a discussion with (and writing it up in the Newsletter) for the Rare Fruit. We came up with these for the ideal garden sprayer:
• A good bottle should have a comfortable trigger and adjustable nozzle.
• The trigger & nozzle should not leak or drip
• It should resist most chemicals.
• It should be clear enough to see how much product is left.
• The uptake should reach the bottom.
• It preferably has a screen on the uptake to avoid undissolved lumps or grit.
• It should sit or hang stably.
• It should last for years.

Anything to add?

3 Likes

Size?

2 Likes

Is this the one? They are for use with their products. Reusable Polyspray Bottle | Cleaning, Concentrates, Eco Home | Tri Nature Australia

2 Likes