eVTOL, Flying Taxis and Uber Air

For years at both our previous and current homes, the rescue helicopter would fly over our place when heading South and again when returning, and the sound never bothered us.

More recently, it flies over our area up to 3 times a day on up to 3 days a week tracking juvenile grubs for break and enters, vehicle thefts, car jackings, armed robberies, and numerous other offences.

It flies low and slow circling and weaving over our area and adjacent areas but the sound does not bother us, and it is reassuring that the police are doing their job, despite the lack of support they receive.

C) see power lines or other aerial cables
D) see other flying things, including around corners of buildings.

I remember in the 1980s reading similar articles that we would be all using flying vehicles by now…I would bet the sheep station things won’t change in the next 30-40 years. As long as there are dreamers, we can all imagine the future.

3 Likes

There was a development in Florida USA a few decades ago that targeted those who had turboprops or bizjets to commute. There was no recognition of ATC, instrument flight, or any practicality. The issues surrounding ‘free flight’ are lost on the salesmen.

4 Likes

It isn’t a Wankel, they say. Looks like a Wankel to me.

More like one that has been turned inside out. The combustion chambers are definitely not the same. Possibly a better Wankel.

Aside from technical comparisons, do we really need one more way to consume fossil fuels?

Noted:
Improved energy efficiency - 45% suggested maximum, on hydrocarbon fuels.

In comparison the complex Toyota Hybrids use an Atkinson Cycle ICE which achieves 37%.

Kinda cool concept though, not going to lie. I would love my food delivered via drone. The future is what we make it.

Will you and your neighbours enjoy the roar and hum of them coming and going at all hours overhead?

Drones are noisy, the bigger the payload the bigger the noise.

1 Like

eVTOL? Drone? :thinking:

Yes, some people are weirdly sensitive. Whether it’s a real problem, time might tell.

1 Like

Its real, its loud and it is in the audible range, nothing weird about it. We are not talking about the supposed problem of infra-sound from wind turbines.

Having spent some time near a drone that can lift a rather small camera and a helicopter that can lift three people the noise goes from loud to ear shattering. Unless there is some development of silent blades, which seems very unlikely to me, a drone that could deliver a couple of pizzas or your groceries is going to be really loud.

Here is one real world trial.

At 69 decibels from 15 metres away, the noise level is equivalent to a loud television, a busy office or a leaf blower.

And it exceeds the 45-decibel daytime noise standard for residential areas in Canberra, the site of the world-first service.

At night with a quiet background such noise levels are going to be more objectionable.

That’s one perception. Yes, there’s noise. Whether it’s a problem we’ll find out in due course.

There is no objective reality just perception…

Politics is based on perception. When all else fails, legislation is founded on the median perception. In the end, it will probably come down to who makes the most fuss (or spends the most money).