Email spam when you leave a service

I decided not to renew my Club Jetstar this year (not flying as much etc, was only renewed last year due to vouchers etc).

Since dooing this I’ve received 20+ Emails (8 a day) from Jetstar saying sorry to see me go.
Now I know I can unsubscribe, but I don’t mind checking the sales they have, so I don’t want to lose access to that, but I feel this level of email tends to fall under spammig (or Bullying) .

No point in approaching jetstar, but is there any oher valid avenue to persure (I have a rule running now so I don’t see them, but still, I can’t be the only one getting these)

D

2 Likes

Welcome, @Draggunfyre

I empathise with this. I’ve had similar problems with other companies.

Normally you might find that you can control your subscription preferences i.e. if you have some kind of login for the sender. From there you might be able to enable just some particular kinds of email.

At the end of the day though, the law gives a business with whom you have a relationship the right to send you too many emails as long as they also give you the right to unsubscribe.

My advice: Unsubscribe.

I have in the past contacted companies and asked them to “dial it down” i.e. told them I am happy to receive the “occasional” email from them but not “3 a week”. I am yet to find a company that is responsive to such a request. Their systems just aren’t that sophisticated. So I usually end up unsubscribing.

3 Likes

I think I would unsubscribe from the sorry to see you go emails, and then go to their website and see what options there are for a customized email notification of deals that may interest you.

2 Likes

I am receiving large amounts of spam in my email so crazy daily up to about 20 all rubbish. No idea who sends it nearly ready to close the account

Well have a look at what the ‘spam’ emails are. Most is marketing, and companies have got your email from places you have agreed to allow sharing of your email address to ‘partners’.

There will usually be an unsubscribe option which will end the email sending.

I get pestered by emails from Choice, for instance, on an email address I never gave them. So they are in on the email address sharing game too.
:roll_eyes:

On the other hand, I have email blocking rules that disappear anything coming from domains other than the usual .com or .org or .gov or .net…etc. So I don’t see a lot of the BS emails coming from the newly created domains like .info.

1 Like

With all the data breaches in the past few years, it is possible that your email was acquired in a data breach and added to a spamming list (sold to spammers). One of our email addresses was subject of a breach and number of spam emails increased substantially soon thereafter. This chart shows impact of our email address being added to a spam list from the breach:

You can check if your email has been subject of a data breach:

1 Like

I jad occasional spam ones previously but now ot seems daily just recently copping it Gmail needs to be cleaned out. Pretty frustrating. I guess worse things on life than this

Only from a reputable business.

From a disreputable business or from a scammer, this will only confirm to them that the email address is valid and is looked at.

As a general rule, I never “unsubscribe” - but of the small amount of spam that gets through to me, it is nearly all completely bogus (e.g. someone died and wants to give me USD 2,500,000 or e.g. marketing products that are unrelated to anything that I have ever legitimately engaged with).

Bear in mind that a lot of senders are falsified or bogus. So, yes, you mostly don’t know who sends it.

If you are implying that you yourself use a gmail address and you are received a ****ton of spam then you could bring that to the attention of Google.

That depends. If you are getting 20 a day spam and as a result you miss an important legitimate email then that could be a real problem.

I run multiple email addresses. This may help to keep important, legitimate email away from spam email. It also dramatically increases the chances of detecting spam inside the network.

1 Like

Most spam is legitimate and not trying anything malicious. It is just bulk mailouts to address lists that companies maintain. If you want to get off that list, then unsubscribe.

The trick is know the harmless but unwanted spam from the potentially harmful emails which are not really spam at all. Very few of the latter get through to my main account. The email server does a good job of blocking most, and my email rules take care of the rest.

2 Likes

I’ve unsubscribed twice from Tynan Motors emails in NSW, and yet they still send them to me. I’m going to ring them up, and have sent an email telling them to stop but is there anything more I could / should do?

Depending on how long it has been since you asked them to stop you still might receive ‘pre-packaged’ emails for weeks before the unsubscribe takes effect in the system they use.

Your option for least frustration in the meanwhile is to make an email filter that deletes every incoming email from Tynan Motors. How to do that is dependent on your email client. Here is a how to for yahoo. Filters can be very selective depending on how you define one.

If you use a client like Thunderbird, it is under tools->message filters and fairly straight forward.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Yes, when you ring them up say that if they continue to sent unsolicited emails after you have unsubscribed/advised you no longer want them, that you will be reporting them to ACMA:

By law, Australian business are required to stop ending spam/unsolicited emails if they are advised by the recipient that they no longer wish to receive them. There are hefty fines if they fail to adhere to the law.

You shouldn’t be receiving them nor have to deal with them at you end by email filters, deleting them etc.

2 Likes

Do you have an existing and ongoing relationship with Tynan Motors? They are allowed to spam you if you do.

As earlier responses indicate, it is often the case that a business outsources the distribution of their spam - and this leads to or exacerbates a pipeline effect where, even if you unsubscribe, you continue to receive spam for weeks. But it should stop eventually.

Keep good records of your communication with Tynan Motors in respect of attempting to unsubscribe.

1 Like

No they aren’t. Unsolicited emails/spams are not allowed to be sent from any Australian business unless one gives consent. As the above post indicates there was an option to unsubscribe it would be an unsolicited (commercial) email which are required by law to have option to unsubscribe. If a business, even if one has a relationship, with sends unsolicited emails after an individual has unsubscribed, it is unlawful and subject to action by ACMA/under the Spam Act 2003.

A business can legally send factual emails as part of engagement of services or sale of product. For a car dealership, this could be reminders about an upcoming booked service, confirmation of a service date/time or recall notices. These don’t need a unsubscribe option and can lawfully be sent - even if one doesn’t necessary need to receive them.

It is worth reading the LegalVision website linked in my previous post as they provide a good explanation and examples of what are factual or commercial emails under the Spam Act 2003.

This is good advice if one makes a complaint with ACMA and they decide to take it further.

2 Likes