Edible coffee cups

Would you buy a coffee cup that you can eat once you finish drinking your brew? Check out these Good-edi

Huskee - materials include recycled coffee husks, and have recruited many cafes for a cup swap network.
https://huskee.co](https://huskee.co/

There are stories here about reusable coffee cups. A big plus about both of the above is that they are locally made. That certainly reduces their environmental footprint in travel miles.

1 Like

At $5.50 per single use cup, plus 450kj when you eat it, it could end up a rather costly exercise. It is 10% sugar 61% carbs, 8% fat 10% protein. Just wonder what it tastes like? And if it goes soggy or stays crunchy after being filled with tea or coffee.

3 Likes

The bag is, costly also.

2 Likes

The carbon foot print of a manufactured product is very approximately proportional to its selling price. For the edible cup it’s many times the cost of a disposable cup and neither are as green as a reusable cup.

As to your favourite brew it too comes with a carbon footprint.

Someone in the community might like to find the same for a cup of tea.

For the Good-Edi cup their site FAQ’s provided no details on the carbon footprint of their product - paddock to plate. Noted the edible cup is a good source of fibre. Great idea to add fibre to a double shot of your fav.:slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

This is an elaborate hoax, isn’t it? A joke web site to mock the green movement created by a more subtle and smart branch of the anti-environmental mob whose neanderthal division brought us rolling coal.

4 Likes

Appreciate @TheYoya bringing us the Aussie product details. There are also various Aussie media releases from 2022 onwards to be found online. Perhaps more marketable at $1.00 a cup or slightly more if the cup can double as a bacon and egg roll. A higher price might add real value.

Seriously, from 2015.
Those who choose one chicken joint over another know how that turned out.

I’m waiting to try a Fruit Loops flavoured version. A whole meal and breakfast in a cup. :joy:

3 Likes

I have a reusable cup that I carry around for take-away coffees. However, I noticed at my local they were offering edible cups like the ones @TheYoya shared above. It was about an extra dollar for the edible and they only had a medium size (sorry I can’t remember the brand, no idea if the cafe is subsidising the cost of cups). I hadn’t thought about comparing the carbon footprint of paper disposable compared to edible, but I was factoring in that you’re also potentially getting a snack with your coffee so I tried it as a curiosity.

The edible cup held together well, I’d imagine you’d need to have it sitting a long time for the cup to degrade and cause any spillage. It remained hard on the outside softened a bit on the inside. I did have the thought after the purchase, you want to take care with your hands if you’re planning to eat the cup or if you were to sit it down on any surface. Standard food hygiene I know, but with takeaway coffees you might be tempted to sit them down on a table or another surface.

The flavour wasn’t much to write home about. A bit ‘wheaty’ and course. Maybe this was just the brand I tried? In any case, I didn’t make a habit of it, sticking with my trusty reusable for now.

5 Likes

Regarding reusable cups like brands keep cup i noticed that 7 eleven give a, discount if one uses the in store purchase reusable cup. Why doesn’t all cafes /service stations just allow myself to bring my own cup like keep cup. I was only aware some business allow one to bring reusable cup. Im so much against throwing away the cups that are used once. Maybe one day it could change.

1 Like

I’m guessing on that lauding reusable cups in this community would be preaching to the converted. Still, interesting to see what’s new, especially as single use throwaways are phased out. And not before time.

Detpak and others do offer a selection of take-away hot cups and lids that are fibre based (includes from sugar cane).

Every product has a carbon footprint to produce and another to recycle or dispose of in a low impact way (compost). Some products appear better than others environmentally. Some may be a better option in different situations. What is not apparent or evident is the relative difference in life cycle outcomes for each option.

A skeptic here. Sounds like a gimmick.

Two aspects particularly bother me, the price and the taste/texture.

The first is far too high to get widespread adoption, very few will willingly pay an extra $5 or more for a coffee on ideological grounds. If the makers don’t have the funds to subsidise it heavily until mass production numbers reduce their costs to an acceptable level the project is doomed as they will never get those numbers.

The second is simply not mentioned! How can you sell an edible product with no mention of how it tastes and feels in the mouth? Lacking any reports on the topic I assume they did many taste tests and know full well what it tastes like. If it tastes good you would think they would say so.

1 Like

Totally agree with everything you have said. I think they are seeking crowd funding too.

The taste effect on the coffee? Plus, gluten free? Drinking coffee has such a bad environmental footprint in general that it might behove people to cut out the ones they drink walking along.