Eating Apple Cores

An article claiming that eating the core of organic apples has health benefits.

A few years ago whilst on a flight to Brisbane, the cabin staff offered apples after breakfast to the passengers and a man seated diagonally across from us took one.

He momentarily stopped playing with his tablet and ate the apple in a normal fashion until only the core was left, and then proceeded to devour it as well.

My wife and I were amazed but I seriously doubt that it would have been an organic one.

3 Likes

There are myths about apple seeds containing harmful levels of cyanide,. While they contain cyanide like some other foods, they are not at levels which would cause any concern:

Our child used to eat everything but the stalk…but now only eats the flesh (maybe we have influenced this). I think not eatng the core is more of a texture in the mouth which is not overly to my taste/satisfaction.

5 Likes

lol I eat the core every time I have an apple, but I wouldn’t say I’m any healthier for it :smile:

Apple seeds contain amygdalin, a substance that releases cyanide when it comes into contact with digestive enzymes in our gut. The seeds have to be chewed as the covering is quite resilient and the seed will pass through if the covering is not broken. It would also take a lot of seeds in chewed form to be dangerous but other fruit seeds also are similar in effect, eg apricot kernels, and peach kernels.

5 Likes