Eat, drink and be merry! - Champions Challenge

Here are 2 of my favourites.

Fred123Total recall

Jul '18

I had planned to cook another Duck Madras curry in our pressure cooker this week, but after reminiscing about the Chicken Tikka I ate in Hong Kong some years ago, I decided to put the duck on the backburner and do the Chicken Tikka instead.
I bought a tray of 6 bone-in skin-on chicken cutlets from the Supa IGA which weighted just under 1.2 Kg and 2 packets of Taste of India Tikka Masala sauce from the butcher. After browning the cutlets, I added the sauce and spices and once the pressure cooker had reached high pressure, I cooked it for 20 minutes.
It may not have been quite as good as the meal in Hong Kong but it was completely satisfactory to me. I had it for dinner the past 2 nights and plan to eat the remaining 2 cutlets tonight.
Rather than have rice as the accompaniment, I also cooked my favourite Cous Cous dish with toasted pine nuts, cooked finely diced onions and chopped spring onions blended through the Cous Cous.
The chicken cutlets, the 2 packets of sauce, the Cous Cous, and the other ingredients cost around $20 total for 3 delicious meals.

And of course, something to wash it down with.

Fred123Total recall

Jul '18

Each day around 5:00 PM, I really enjoy an icy cold Corona with a wedge of lime pushed into it.
At our previous residence I planted a Tahitian Lime which grew around 4 metres high and was loaded with fruit but many were almost as large as an orange.
When we bought our present home in 2015, I bought some planters and fruit trees to grow in them around the swimming pool, one of which is a Key Lime which is also known as the Bartender’s Lime in the US.
It is now around 1 metre high and 1 metre in diameter. After it only produced a few limes in the first 2 years, I have picked a bag full so far this year with the last 4 fruits still ripening and the tree is already covered in flowers.
The fruit is yellow when ripe and are around 2 to 4 cm in diameter, perfect sizes to fit a Corona bottle and the tree does not have any thorns. When I cut the first wedge from one with a razor sharp utility knife, there is always a pool of juice on the sink. I can actually bite the flesh without the usual bitter taste of Tahitian Limes or lemons.
Key limes are grown from seed although the base of our tree appears as though it was grafted. I bought it from Bunnings.
So for all those Corona drinkers who enjoy a wedge of lime with their beer, this is a great way to get nice small limes without paying a fortune for them.

6 Likes