DTMF Issues with Fritz router VOIP fon

Hi
I have got an issue with my Fritz fon. I have a Fritz box 7490 router. I just changed provider from Exetel to Aussie Broadband. Since then I am having troubles .
When I ring a shop/compagnie and they asked me to press 1 for this and 2 for that my phone does not recognise or does not register the actual pressing, Hence I can’t reach the adequate dept.

Does anyone know what to to suggest in order to get this working. I am at my wits end. I have emailed Fritz Australia and ask them what to do and NO reply for over 2 weeks.

Thanks in advance.
Gigi

2 Likes

It may be that the tone setting that is the problem, if set to a long tone on a digit press the other end may be interpreting this as multiple presses of the same key, short tone is normally best. If currently set to short tone you might try the reverse ie switch from short to long tone.

A page that might explain what could possibly be a cause of the issue

https://www.voipmechanic.com/dtmf-issues.htm

4 Likes

FWIW I recently found AussieBB’s voicemail system would not recognise my tones. Just tried setting it up for the first time… I have a D-Link DVA2800 that might have other issues so expect a repair, replacement, or refund and buying another router in the near future.

In my experience when that happens the systems do something other than ignoring the input. In my case the ABB Voicemail ignores all my inputs.

It might not be the Fritzbox, it could be ABB’s VOIP system? When I rang ABB to confirm DTMF settings the friendly on-shore support agent with a metro area accent did not know what DTMF was until I called it touch tones. He went away long enough to read a DTMF for Dummies book but in the end confirmed my settings were correct and he had no other suggestions… in-band should work, what is RFC2833 again? Argh! (I had tried both to no avail).

I had not considered it might be an issue with ABB’s VOIP… anyone else on ABB having DTMF issues?

2 Likes

Thanks PHIT
I will ring them to find out if they can fix it. Maybe not they can may be not. Let’s see.

3 Likes

If you have not tried their voicemail it is far from well documented. Getting into its menus shows some features are top of the game, and some things one wants to do need a ring to the friendly support desk.

From trial and error (and there may be a way I have yet to find), their voicemail does not send any sort of signal or message that there is a new message. It seems one has to ring it to check. Not nearly as convenient as the old school answering machine on one’s table even if more capable.

2 Likes

The answer may be to set DTMF (Telephony section of the setup) to RFC2833. That did not work with my just removed D-Link but does work with my new TP-Link. I hope it works with your Fritzbox.

2 Likes

To conclude this chapter, I had to get rid of my Fritz modem.

It blew up anyway. Could not get any signal from it and would not pick up internet in the end. I bought a TP Link AX50.3000 and got rid of my VOIP phone. Problem solved in the end. I did make a mistake as I did not the fundamental meaning of router and Modem.
The TP link I bought is not a modem therefore can’t link my VOIP phone. As I said got rid of it the VOIP and use my mobile for calls.

4 Likes

Thanks for your update.

My mobile service is (to be polite) crap (Telstra and Optus networks are equally bad) so I need VOIP for when my signals ‘are not’ and I need to make a call. Likewise incomings are marginal to worse on the mobiles so I prefer incomings via the VOIP system. Normally the voicemail in my TP-Link VR600v will pick up if I am not about, and I also have a fall back ‘long to answer’ voicemail on the VOIP number at the RSP side telling callers if they got ‘this message’ the NBN, my RSP, or just my VOIP service is down.

If you decide you want VOIP phone service again there are VOIP adapters that plug into your ethernet as well as WiFi VOIP phones. A search will return many products.

2 Likes

No it doesn’t need to be a modem to support VOIP. There are many VOIP software “softphone” packages available eg Skype, if you want to use a normal phone on the network then you may need an Analog Telephone Adapter that allows you to use the phone with the Router. Some routers come with VOIP support built in and this may include a dedicated port on the router or it may mean that a single port can be configured to use VOIP rather than it’s normal Ethernet connection.

The usual problem is that if you don’t use the ISP supplied Router many ISPs will not supply the VOIP settings needed to use their VOIP network. ABB as @PhilT points out are one ISP who are very happy to support providing details needed for VOIP setup.

5 Likes

Aussiebroadband is very BYO friendly, including VOIP :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks to all. PhilT and Graholl

Very good input. Will search for a VOIP adapter that is compatible with my new router and see what happens. Will definitely report on that one in due course.

5 Likes