Driving Electric Vehicles (BEVs)

While this is from the US it cites data coming from China where Tesla is not dominant as it is in the US to reflect some confidence in what is being seen. I have not read about our road authorities, auto clubs or insurance underwriters looking at the aspects raised about driving them. Is there any?

I have yet to drive a BEV but did many laps in dodgem cars and would probably struggle getting used to similar one pedal operation, reflecting how some but not all BEVs drive. Should a new BEV driver be required to display something akin to an ‘L’ for some period after purchase? We already have ‘driver under instruction’ placards for drivers getting approved for heavy vehicles so could that be in our future and if so, would it matter on the roads?

7 Likes

About a year ago I drove my brother’s Tesla Y for about 20km, half of which was on gravel roads. The steering wanting to move the car away from the edge of the road, and warnings was a bit annoying - tall grass, shrubs etc right on the edge of our narrow gravel road (and our rough dirt driveway) were not to the car’s liking. One pedal driving was pretty intuitive and I quite liked it.

I’m not sure there is a huge difference between EVs and modern cars with all sorts of fancy features not found on the old cars we have here (2010 Peugeot van and 1996 Hilux), as far as getting used to them and being distracted whilst driving when looking for controls.

7 Likes

Another mostly single pedal usage BEV is the Nissan Leaf, they call the technology e-Pedal Step (prior to 2020 it was the e-Pedal). The car still has a brake pedal, and the previous e-Pedal caused the vehicle to come to a complete stop but wouldn’t hold the vehicle if it was at an angle of slope more than 30 degrees. The e-pedal Step now does not come to a complete stop but instead creeps. If wishing to now come to a complete stop the brake pedal must be used regardless of slope. With either version of e-Pedal how much release of the pedal determines the deceleration that is applied, a fast complete removal is the hardest deceleration and a gentle easing is much less, speed also affects the amount of deceleration applied. When decelerating, the motors use regeneration to help recharge the battery and provide some of the braking power.

6 Likes

If they bring in special plates for people new to BVs then it would only be fair to do the same for people who can’t seem to master parking a large SUV.

12 Likes

My BEV experience has been mostly delightful. The change from a manual ICE car to BEV not much different from manual geared to automatic. Getting used to differences in the electronics is more significant, and the fact that there are two separate batteries. The conventional 12 volt battery is vital to the car’s operation.

5 Likes

I first drove a BEV in 2015. A model S test drive. I had to get one but couldn’t afford it so I had to wait until the model 3 came along in 2019. Drove that for four years and traded it in on a Model y. I find them much easier to drive than ICE cars and much safer. I also don’t believe everything the big media companies write. They are all on the take.

1 Like

Why is that?

As far as I can tell vehicle manufacturers try hard to make BEVs drive like ICE vehicles. That includes needing to use the brake pedal to control speed and slow down*. One noticeable difference is the low speed torque of BEVs - the power is available instantly (and without releasing unburnt fuel out of the exhaust pipe!)
Many modern cars (ICE & BEV) have an auto-hold feature that engages the parking brake if the vehicle comes to a stop, say at traffic lights. The parking brake disengages when the driver presses the accelerator pedal. That may take some getting used and could be leading to some minor accidents.

• There is an exception - I regularly use regenerative braking (on a PHEV) in conjunction with a manual speed limiter to control descents on hills without needed to apply the brakes. This includes when towing a caravan. On my car the speed limiter is very easy to engage, disengage and adjust with controls on the steering wheel.
3 Likes

As driving can also include ownership costs, this post in another thread is also relevant:

1 Like

Interesting. We were thrilled to discover when we got our Tesla in 2023 that our insurance costs went down. Then because no servicing is required, we save a bucket load there. We do charge at home and have solar but have done plenty of long trips and have not found it to be too expensive using Superchargers compared with fuel at all. Currently staying in Sydney for a couple of months where we are charging exclusively outside the home but mainly using generic chargers. I don’t have the figures but we haven’t felt that cost is an issue although we don’t drive every day and just locally mainly.

5 Likes

I am an ‘innocent bystander’ with no experience with BEVs, but have you met with the 2024 price increases for many chargers and if so does your statement still hold?

A good question. I was certainly nervous before I first drove our Tesla and made a point of starting somewhere quiet just like a learner driver would. I would happily have worn some indicator but really it was very intuitive. My husband describes it as like driving a golf cart and I very easily got used to not using a brake pedal. Even in Brisbane I have driven from home to the shopping mall without touching the brake pedal. Truly. Anyway, I did have my husband with me when I first drove as we were both still working things out. That certainly made it easier while learning where things were. Having said that, it took one session to master the basics and I saved the fancy stuff until I was comfortable with the rest. I must say it is a constant delight to occasionally still discover it does things we hadn’t realised. Also, with 8 cameras etc, it is an extremely safe car. One surprise was the power involved. It accelerates faster than a Porsche.That could cause a bit of trouble when the accelerator is first encountered. I always drive in Chill mode but still choose to use cruise control around town. When this is on the car practically drives itself. Recently a pedestrian crossing the road decided to come halfway and stop on the white line super close to where I was passing. He got such a shock when the car came to a sudden halt. As I said to him through the window - "It wasn’t me, it was the car. It didn’t want to hit you! " My husband wouldn’t have needed a warning indicator to other drivers but I would perhaps have even welcomed it for my first drive as I was a bit anxious.

2 Likes

Will check this out and get back to you! Maybe it will.

1 Like

Strong Crash Test Ratings:

• Tesla vehicles consistently earn top scores from independent crash test agencies like the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP). Their low centre of gravity due to battery placement minimizes rollover risk.

Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS):

• Tesla features a suite of ADAS tools like automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and blind-spot monitoring, actively assisting drivers in avoiding collisions.
  • Autopilot, Tesla’s semi-autonomous driving system, can navigate highways, change lanes, and maintain speed using cameras and radar, and they’ve just released a full neuralnet AI version of their self driving system just way ahead of any other system available.

Electric Vehicle Design:

• Unlike gasoline-powered cars with flammable liquids, Tesla’s electric powertrain eliminates fire risk associated with fuel leaks or collisions.
  • The rigid battery pack also adds structural integrity to the vehicle, improving occupant protection in crashes.

Data-Driven Safety Improvements:

• Tesla collects anonymized driving data from its fleet to constantly refine its safety systems and autopilot features. This continual learning and improvement enhances safety over time.
1 Like

I have no experience at all of these features, I read many articles from ordinary people and those in the business saying that they are of some value. They also say the gadgetry can do things the driver does not want or expect, especially in less than ideal conditions of road or weather. I cannot guess if Tesla is way ahead or this is just Elon’s Coolaid talking, spruiking features now that may actually be good after ten years more development.

Are there any statistics showing that per kilometre travelled these features actually reduce accidents or the severity of them? What about stats on them causing accidents?

I notice one brand appears in your post several times. Is this representative of the technology? Let us not beat about the bush it reads like an advertisement for Tesla.

1 Like

I have 5 years’ experience now driving Tesla cars, last two cars have been Teslas, Model 3 Performance and now a Y Performance. Prior to that, BMW X3, Merc ML350, Audi TT, VW Golf, Mini Ray, Mitsubishi (?), Holden Berina, Ford Falcon, Mazda 626, Honda civic. So, I’ve tried a few different cars.

I believe that news and internet articles are quite skewed because of the threat Tesla poses to the oil industry and other car manufacturers. But you can’t deny that Tesla has set the car industry direction for the last few years with all the big names trying to catch up.

It was interesting watching the stock market short selling underway before the model 3 was released.

Are there any statistics showing Teslas are more dangerous than other self-driving cars? Very difficult because there are very few self-driving cars that have the same market penetration as Tesla. But I can attest to the fact that after driving my Tesla from central QLD to Geelong a couple of times I can’t go back to an old-fashioned car. And I love the tech in the car just like I love the tech in my smart phone. In fact, if you’re not good with smartphones then a Tesla is probably not for you. I’d say they are more suited to young people (even through I’m a boomer).

Nobody has the Tesla full self-driving capability in Australia (except maybe a couple of testers) as it hasn’t been released here. You can buy the licence but it’s very restricted and not well maintained as Australia is not a major market for Tesla and they haven’t spent any time tuning it to Australian conditionals. USA and Canada are the only places the last time I looked, but it’s not far away. So, the advanced features are limited, and most people drive them as ordinary EVs in Australia.

3 Likes

How does all that tech work in the regions where the roads are of dubious standard? Or do you just turn most or all of it off?

1 Like

I like the way the car spots the roos and stops for the ones on the road.

Well I guess we will have to wait and see then. I was talking about the safety of EVs overall not just self-driving.

Maybe, maybe it is because they are new and different, maybe these biases are like the patents for water powered cars that were bought up by the oil companies and then buried :slight_smile:

How does the gadgetry work in difficult visual conditions on poor roads with bad or non-existent lane markers and undefined edges as are found on many country roads?

1 Like

How do you know it ‘spots the roos’ since it seems to keep speed and drive by them. They are on the side of the road. It was nice it recognised a static object on the road and declined to run into it though.

Do you have some clips that have traffic coming in the other direction in addition to some roos or cattle or pedestrians hopping and walking about? Curious to get a feel for how much ‘clutter’ the tech can deal with.

2 Likes