Double glazed window failures

I had a new house built in 2016. Since then I’ve had 21 Stegbar windows fail & replaced; the failure being a flare of fogging occurring inside the glass (one actually shattered on the inside pane).
None of the replacements has experienced subsequent failure but the method of replacement on some (remove frame around glass, reinstall on new glass) doesn’t always mean windows now fit as well.

There are 35 windows in the entire house and the failures cover a majority of square metres of glass.

Stegbar has pushed back on warranty, denied any major problem requiring a field replacement program, taken their time to install replacements but eventually came through.
At the time of purchasing these windows, warranty was 7 years from date of delivery to the builder. Subsequently they changed wty to 10 years and I have rec’d confirmation , following VCAT complaint, that all replacements have 10 years from date of replacement.

As it was the builder that had the contract with Stegbar, I ended up having to take the builder to VCAT but really, Stegbar’s response has at best been marginal – the builder’s wasn’t much better.

Clearly my experience can’t be isolated and I suspect that there must be many other less determined home owners who have put up with these failures.

My research shows double glazed windows (known apparently as IGU’s – Insulated glass units) have a life of only 20 years! Amazing and must significantly impact the economics of slated energy savings. Nobody ever says “Gee the glass in these single glazed windows looks old! I think I’ll replace it!”

From talking to the guys doing the replacements, it’s not at all uncommon to have multiple call outs for replacements at the same house.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @Daddycr

I asked Google the following question:

“uk how long will my double glazed windows last”

Many responses to consider all suggesting 25, 30 years or longer. One caution is that for windows exposed to the weather (note UK conditions), 20 years might be more usual.

It’s a good point to consider the relative value of energy savings vs premium window cost. To note there are competing manufacturers and designs for double glazing panes as well as the matching window framing systems. To ask whether the builder and supplier properly and reliably informed themselves as to the fitness for purpose (suitability) of the product supplied for your home (design, location, orientation, climate zone).