Do you shop online?

I prefer to see and compare items in 3D on a shelf in store rather than try to work out each product using a 2D image. I find seeing a photo isn’t as satisfying as being able to hold it in the flesh while deciding what brand and size of product I want.

I also find it more difficult to read a computer screen to compare products and their labels, providing I remember my glasses when shopping.

And with and increasing sedentary lifestyles, walking the aisles is a way to get some extra steps in a busy life.

I also usually don’t buy fresh produce online…as the independent green grocer doesn’t provide such services. Even if they did, I still prefer to look, smell and touch when selecting fruit and vegetables.

While online may be for some, I am happy to continue doing it the non-digital way.

4 Likes

Like the rest of you, I prefer to shop for fresh food in person. However, a recent deterioration in health means that I very frequenly cannot make it round the supermarket or fruito, so I need to shop online. Having seen how the coles personal shoppers choose fruit and veg, I wanted to avoid them but I gave that a try recently… disaster… old tomatoes and broken eggs. I had been getting Woolies and the extra cost of delivery is worthwhile. You can leave a note for each item in terms of how you want your item to be. For example… I always ask for a large fresh head of cauliflower, but point out that fresh always beats large (the first time, without the note being left, the cauli was huge, and old and rubbery). I havent had any real issues since I began being specific about things. eg no substitutes in cat food, Toby is too darned fussy, and cream must always have a long expiry. and so on. Works for me.

2 Likes

I would never consider buying Xmas foods, or any other fresh foods online, unless we were in lockdown and had no other options.

During my regular forays to our local Coles and Woollies stores, I see the online order staff going from one point to another, and they never inspect the quality, or otherwise, of any product.

They simply grab one off the top and put in the bag or bin on their special trolleys.

When I went early to our local Coles the other morning so as to try to get “fresh” greens, they had some great sugar snap peas, but the previous day’s leftover broccoli, as usual, had been dumped on top of the “fresh” broccoli.

I “fished” underneath the pile and managed to find a couple of pieces of “acceptable” quality.

I said to another shopper beside me that the broccoli was rubbish and that he should dig into the bottom of the pile but he just grabbed a piece off the top and replied that he did not care as he did not eat it

And as for product quality, who wants just any ham instead or a really good ham at the same price per kilo?

With items such as dairy, I always ensure that I get the longest dated product and not just ones at the front of the shelves.

In the case of meat, I pick the best looking and longest dated items if there are no mark downs.

With bread, I ensure I get a uniform loaf and not one which has muffin topped or has a weird shape on the base.

With fruit, I cherry pick everything after checking if it even looks fit to purchase.

The only thing that I would trust online shopping for is non-perishables.

4 Likes

In case anyone is not aware, the fresh ducks and the fresh turkeys that Coles and Woollies have at Xmas are normally dated 26th December and 27th December.

As Xmas day is 1 of only 4 days they are not open in most areas of Qld, they normally drastically discount the remaining stocks during Xmas Eve.

Anyone living in the areas of Qld such as Mt Isa, which will see Coles and Woollies closed from 25.12.2020 to 28.12.2020, should seee some great bargains on fresh poultry and meat late on Xmas Eve.

I have often bought ducks and turkey buffets marked down by 50% and more late in the afternoon, and when we had a chest freezer at our previous residence, I put several turkey buffes and around half a dozen ducks in it one Xmas which we cooked throughout the next year.

Of course, you need to be sure that your local Coles or Woollies won’t sell out before you buy, which I do by visiting the store several times to monitor stock levels and discount amounts.

We live only 2.4 km from our local shopping centre so it takes very little time and fuel for me to do so.

1 Like

I had to buy online this year, but I ran into problems. Three times I ordered sneakers because they came in the wrong size. Besides, I like to choose clothes for a long time, I don’t buy a lot of them, I wait for an opportunity to go to the store.

1 Like

I’ve just stocked up on fishing tackle for the coming season . All purchased online at DFS Geelong ( Ebay Store ) and Melbourne Tackle ( Ebay Store ) . Postage is free and the prices are at least 50-60% cheaper than some tackle shops . The fishing line I use , Sunline Siglon Float is a Japanese product that seems to be only available online . ASSO Float is another line I use . It is an Italian product that I have never seen in a tackle shop so again I buy online .

4 Likes

Oooh buying clothes online is always fraught. I did manage to guess at the right size for my Birkenstock “Boston” knockoffs that came from Germany, and have been very happy with those, but clothing… everything I have bought has been bequeathed to someone else because sizing is always wrong.

2 Likes

I buy a mix of goods i admit… Some places are better than others. I had a bad experience with footwear didn’t properly fit and the returns policy stated if i sent goods back i have to pay. Ill never buy through fila, again they should be put on shonky list. Most retailers allow a, return free of charge but not fila. I would warn anyone be careful as you will be charged to return back via post.

2 Likes

Yes. I buy a lot online. Books from Booktopia. Plants and seeds from a great range of Australian suppiers. Perenialle Plants in Canowndra NSW providing very well grown tough waterwise plants) and Hancocks Daffodils - very good quality daffodil bulbs.
Clothes and sheets (superb quality and great fit - particularly the swimwear) from Landsend in the US and Huckberry US for stylish mens clothes and shoes. Excellent service