Do you have the NBN?

It does, but making a cable in a factory is not.

Hopefully we both understand the difference.

As to the question previously asked which states ‘pre-made’, not installed?

The question seems clear enough. The discussion that followed, I doubt has too many interested.

Hopefully the opportunity for greater travel and tourism is not too far off. :+1:

OP here: This is exactly what I did. I used to work with telecoms engineers and do some crimping decades ago, but I know I was bad at it and/or needed far nicer tools. Using a highly rated pre-made Cat 7 or Cat 8 cable neatly bypassed all the connection quality issues and the hundreds of instructions about DIY wiring. Then it transformed into a more basic threading challenge — how to get one 20-metre off-the-shelf product inside another 20-metre off-the-shelf product.

Which leaves us with the potential dangers posed by a data cable outside the house, travelling through a weather-protection conduit. The worst-case scenario I’m imagining is if someone accidentally drilled into it and cut the cable and did it in such a way as to touch high voltage from somewhere else. This would be another tradie though, because I’m never going to run high voltage myself.

But safety measures aren’t written just for me, and they’re not written for the dangers I’ve already anticipated.

1 Like

I’m very confused. From the way I read the magazine article, it looked like “we didn’t receive enough replies” and it sounded very much like a Choice survey.

The ACCC has a program to measure empiric aspects, eg the boxes (performance) and so on. Choice does a consumer survey (eg opinions from the surveyed population)

If still not clear perhaps @aangoveplumb, @SteveDuncombe, or @BrendanMays from Choice can make it crisper.

1 Like

OK I think I was asking about the consumer survey — is there a thread about that or that article? I only wanted to find out if that survey was coming back, and if it’s closed for now.

Hi @ckent1, we still survey people for their experiences on NBN/ISPs. It’s done periodically via our Voice Your Choice program, which also looks at a number of other topics. Please sign up if you’re interested to contribute!

1 Like