Diabetes Treatment Research

Articles regarding type 2 diabetes and diet.

https://www.9news.com.au/health/type-2-diabetes-reversed-by-low-carbohydrate-diet-csiro-research-suggests/26a5008c-9d26-49d5-a719-605c1ab8fca6

1 Like

These are about 10 years behind. LCHF works.

1 Like

An article regarding testing for atrial fibrillation in diabetes sufferers.

2 Likes

Thats why any doc worth his salt will have you doing bloods and urine testing around 6 monthly.

3 Likes

Would be interesting to see the rates of kidney disease in those controlling their diabetes through medication Vā€™s those controlling through diet. Many are prescribed insulin, which is a growth hormone. While good at quickly controlling blood sugar, it isnā€™t something Iā€™d want to be injecting long-term.

Also seeing increasing uptake of Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGMs). Theyā€™re still expensive and some can be invasive, but a great way to see exactly how the food youā€™re eating is changing your blood glucose in real-time.

1 Like

I use the Freestyle Libre from time to time, but at $92.50 per sensor which only lasts 2 weeks, the expense is prohibitve for someone on a pension. However, for that time, at least, I am far more in control than when I am not using the sensors. I think everyone who is insulin dependent should be subsidised, but the subsidy is only available for a very small subset of Type1s and type2s are excluded entirely.

1 Like
1 Like

I have just finished this course - University of Leicester - itā€™s free, at your own pace.

This covers a number of the studies and trials and theories of cause. I donā€™t have T2 but Mr Zā€™s family has a lot of younger members with it and I wanted to understand it better.

The Meal Replacement industry had a hand in several trials, the initial results showed better outcomes with patients using total meal replacement Vs Nurse led diets and calorie restricted food. The numbers were small in these studies and it left me with a lot of questions. Longer term, the Replacements worked while participants were on them, but had the largest drop out rate, and then relapse when transitioning to a food diet.

The DiRECT study in the ABC article - Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial - was sponsored by Total Diet and Meal Replacements Europe (the body that represents total dietary replacement companies).

While I doubt I would last the distance on shakes, in remote communities where there is less food retail, it might work. The Replacements provide complete low calorie nutrition. The problem will be transitioning to ā€œrealā€ food, which the studies showed. The most successful study followed up with One on One supervision of diet, which would be an expensive treatment.
All these studies are based on the hypothesis that excess fat in the pancreas was impacting on the development and progression of Type 2 diabetes, and losing weight would reduce the amount of fat stored in the liver and pancreas and return it to normal function.

Getting T2 patients into remission would save the Health System and them a lot of time and money. The course notes that not all T2 can be reversed.

3 Likes

Iā€™m glad they said this. I went full low carb a couple of years ago, and lost no weight at all. It simply redistributed GAHHHH. Iā€™m not a reversal of T2 possibility. Thereā€™s also the issue of the medications they give you. Metformin is good, most of the others are not. I was put on several which kept me well within range, but which overworked my beta cells, and reduced my capacity to produce my own insulin.

However, keeping control is fairly easy for me with dietary restrictions and insulin. When I pay attention to my diet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The other thing I noticed with the Trials and Studies were that most candidates were newly diagnosed, non insulin dependent, obese. A study where a third drop out and half of the remainder relapse, isnā€™t a stellar result. But that doesnā€™t stop them calling it a revolution in treatment.
I would like to learn more about the diabeticā€™s diet, as I donā€™t know much about managing T2 through diet. The Future Learn course covered the likely causes of T2, the role of weight reduction in pancreas and liver rehabilitation and T2 remission.

4 Likes

I became disillusioned with the Australia medically accepted ā€œdiabetes dietā€, because I could never (and still cannot) understand why youā€™d be encouraged to eat foods which raise blood sugar. When I am not being an idiot about diet, I follow the advice on https://www.dietdoctor.com. Thereā€™s enough info at the free level to set you straight. Low carb and healthy fats (LCHF) is the go. Sadly, its also a very expensive way to eat :frowning:

[edit] It looks like they have removed access to much of the free stuff and now you have to join to see it. Oh wellā€¦

3 Likes
1 Like

Saw this on Ten News last night. Brilliant if it doesnā€™t cost too much or Iā€™ll just stick with lancets and test sticks in my machine.

1 Like

I saw it on the UoN site found via facebook. I find it fascinating! Hope its affordable!

[edit] Decided to email to see if they need people for clinical trials. I imagine those are already done and dusted but no harm in asking, eh?

2 Likes

Further to this, I did get a reply from the principal researcherā€¦ he passed my details on to the commercial partners so I am keeping fingers crossed that its not too late (though I confess that I am not very confident!)

1 Like