Daylight Saving. Friend or foe?

It varies.

FWA directs that a standard shift is paid with employees working to the clock. Hence at the start of DLS those rostered work one hour less but are paid for for a full length normal shift, (EG, work 7hrs and paid for 8hrs).

The opposite applies according to FWA when DLS ends. (Work 9hrs and paid for 8hrs).

Individual awards and employers do differ, from this. The obvious reason being that with roster changes and rotating rosters etc, the employees on N/S at the change to DLS may not be the same employees on N/S when DLS ends!
https://www.fairwork.gov.au/about-us/news-and-media-releases/website-news/daylight-saving-starts-this-weekend
A more comprehensive reply might need to ask the same question workplace by workplace. Casuals are most likely only paid for actual hours worked, irrespective of the shift length.

Notes:
Historically at least one workplace I was familiar with politely paid for the standard full shift at the start and an extra hour to those working at the end. No employee lost out on pay, however the company wore the cost of the extra hour.

Historically another business chose to calculate the time differences in the pay for shift workers taking leave when DLS changes occurred. The same business also chose to only pay for the actual hours worked at each change. IE No disadvantage to the business, luck of the draw for the employees.

2 Likes

And they titled it ‘fair’?

1 Like

Actually the days are longer further south (brighter sunshine at dinner time!), and the heat can be more intense in summer (what is your max temp vs say Melbourne or Adelaide?).

I’d rather not have to endure DST due to the week or so of jetlag-like sleep disruption twice a year and the messing up of my various data loggings (I’ve overcome some of it by not using DST on one computer) and timers, and overwritten or 1 hour gaps in data is a PITA.
Other than that I can mostly ignore it, as I tend to work by the sun rather than the clock, apart from the evening ABCTV news being on earlier than convenient

4 Likes

When I was working at Siding Spring Observatory looking for asteroids and comets that might collide with Earth, I worked very long shifts in winter, not quite so long in summer. They started a bit after sunset and continued to sunrise- purely work by the movement of the sun and DS was completely irrelevant!

5 Likes

Likely the same for most who have their daily routine set through working outdoors and needing to fit in with the natural world. That none of the major TV News services in Day Light Saving States put their schedule back one hour also answers one question here too.

I’ve often wondered if the moving of the clock is just a game played by politicians (all brands)? The sole point being to reaffirm how easy it is to distract and assert control over a relatively minor aspect of our lives. After all deregulated shopping hours, relative freedom of business to set their hours of work and extensive online options are now common. The recent attempt by the Tasmanian Liberal Party to support taking Tasmania a further 30 minutes ahead for DST may be further evidence!

5 Likes

Further proof of Einstein’s theory of Relativity, at least in a simplistic way. It depends on your point of observation. While Einstein can explain how time might stand still, it has taken pure genius to extend it to making wages appear to stop for an hour every time Day Light Saving ends. NOT! (Is this economic evidence worm holes really do exist?)

The good news is Australia did not convert to metric (edit, I should have said decimal, oops and apology) time. Working for 100 minutes every hour and for 8 hours out of a ten hour day might be a stretch too far. Fortunately the same genius has yet to gather support to complete metrification of Australia? :rofl:

1 Like

Or we could go the other way:

2 Likes

I propose that we move to binary time - much easier. All these 60s and 12s and what have you just complicated matters, while decimal is entirely based upon those with a full complement of fingers and thumbs. The Simpsons have a nightmare of a time trying to count!

3 Likes

The current system is metric time. I don’t think there has ever been a serious attempt to have the metric system go into decimal time, you would need to disconnect from astronomical cycles like days and years, or alter the length of the second, or both. But I am too serious.

Apparently napoleon tried it. He also wanted to reform the calendar. The calendar lasted a while, today would have been about the 15th of Vendemiaire.

3 Likes

Yes, I should have said ‘decimal time’ and not ‘metric time’. I was aware of the precedent In Napoleons France.

Wikipedia clarified it somewhat, pointing out minutes, hours, days etc are not part of the SI system. But…!

2 Likes

Yet another article on how unhealthy daylight saving is. Interesting that the EU is doing away with it.

4 Likes

Well, research published shows that DLS is bad for us.

5 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: Councils Approving Building on Flood Plains

Truely off topic, other than daylight saving is a symbol of state autonomy.

Interestingly in other similar democracies such as the UK and NZ there are no states. They have two effective levels of government vs our three. Perhaps the battle for the future is which of the three will dissolve to leave only two. The states appear to be ahead on that score?

In which instance politicians will continue to demonstrate their power over the voter by variously imposing or denying the realities of sunrise and sunset.

Easier to say when you rise with the sun, and not to another ones clock?

I’d like to erase both State & Local govt levels, to be replaced by Regional electorates. If that could be done, we’d erase all the political buck-passing and make decisions for our local region. Think about the huge amounts of revenue saved by having a federal health & education system. We travel to SE Qld for major medical services now anyway.
So then people in far north NSW could join Qld to avoid Daylight Savings. Lots of NSW residents miss out on boarding their flights departing from Coolangatta (Gold Coast) Airport during DST. Or we turn up over an hour early to pick up travellers returning home.

1 Like

4 Likes

Who says dog’s don’t know how to tell the time?
Fill the bowl with food and they will always agree, ‘It’s dinner time’! :wink:

As for the local wildlife, the challenge for most may be avoiding (becoming) dinner all together?

When we lived at our previous residence, our Minature Poodle and our daughter’s Maltese would come down from upstairs each afternoon and sit on the bottom of the steps to the office and garage and stare at me if I was still working in the office at 5:00 PM as if to say “It’s our dinner time”.

No clock or watch needed.

Unbelievable.

1 Like

Daylight saving in Victoria ended this morning :tada::tada::tada:

Sunrise was at 7.34 am yesterday,
you get up at 6 or earlier and need to turn on all the lights in the house. Blinding when you just woke up :laughing:

Now I can go back to normal for the next 6 months :joy:

5 Likes

I think the divide between city and country is somewhat a misrepresentation. It exists mainly because the attitudes of people are different. Rural work depends on the sun. In summer I start very early in the cool and quit when it gets too hot. In winter I start much later as I need the light and prefer not to work in frost. These decisions do not need a clock.

My neighbours start their complaints with ‘…those beggars (or similar) in Sydney …’ but it could be Perth or Brisbane. The subject may be DST or many other matters but the prefix is universal.

I have some sympathy for those in border regions or who are otherwise caught out when their activities are related to both clock and sun. But there has to be compromises there too. The relationship between clock and sun depends on where you are (east or west) in your time zone. We can reduce this discrepancy by making time zones narrower but that means more borders to cross. There is no universal solution to setting time zones that cure all ills.

The Chinese have decided to abolish that problem altogether by going the other way! I can hear the sneezing now along the lines of how we don’t need a Big Brother solution. We have three nominal time zones and China would have five on that scheme but somehow they make do with one. Their government may care little for individual rights and the State gets heavy handed but they are not altogether stupid to insist on a system that costs a great deal when there is an easier way.

I accept that some people suffer from upsets to their circadian rhythm each time the clock changes but I never saw this in myself or family. I accept that in some cases it might reduce energy consumption due to using less power for lighting but with the advent of LED lights the slight impact of this is diminished. My reading is that the main cost of energy is the height of the peak demand for heating and cooking that the system has to handle, and moving that peak a bit one way or the other makes little difference.

Pure speculation but I wonder if many of the complaints are from those who are chronically sleep deprived for other reasons and DS takes the blame.

Personally I don’t really care. Nor did I when I worked a nominal 9-5 job. I think the main problem then was that I didn’t have a yacht that I could sail for another hour after work on those long summer evenings.

It looks to me that this question is a mix of real and imagined problems and will be tossed back and forth accordingly. Changes will depend on who thinks there could be votes in in it. And some people will never be happy no matter what happens. It is just as well we have problem like this to engage our leaders and nothing too difficult to take up their time like climate change.

3 Likes