Davek Umbrella

Davek Umbrella fails for the third time ,not worth the money , cost of sending back under guarantee . not worth the trouble , breaks again after a few uses.

4 Likes

The guarantee looks pretty good

but if each replacement keeps breaking why not ask for a refund under Australian Consumer Law? Does it always fail the same way? If so is it possible it is related to how you open-close it? The worst they can do is refuse citing the clause ā€˜with proper useā€™ and getting into a discussion about that.

2 Likes

Gawd, they are expensive. For me, its a golf umbrella sold at the local pharmacy and a compact one I got from Aldi. I lose themā€¦

3 Likes

I have been considering buying one for travel - think I will have a go at waterproofing a hat instead!

4 Likes

and you shouldnā€™t need to send it back. Proof of purchase and a photo should be enough to obtain a refund.

2 Likes

If sent back under ACL rights the cost of postage/courier as long as it is the reasonable cost of doing so is claimable from the seller as long as proof of cost is kept eg the receipt for postage. Further on their site for the 12 months after purchase for their " OUR FOREVER GUARANTEE" they state ā€œBased on Australian Consumer Law (ACL), Davek will cover the shipping costs for the retrieval and replacement of damaged umbrellas for up to the first 12 months from date of purchase. After this period, you will need to cover all shipping costs for repair/replacement.ā€

If the umbrella failed due to a failure under what our ACL rights cover it could be argued that even longer could be covered than 12 months, this would not apply after the 12 months for misuse claims.

3 Likes

I just noticed that their 'Our Forever Guarantee" states:

Redemptions are limited to one replacement per original purchase and the number automatically deactivates after first use. Click here to redeem your replacement.

If the damage was caused by say driving over it, the dog ate it, it blew out in gale force winds, a cab door can accidentally slam on the shaft or your cat decides to use it for a scratching post. ā€¦and other events covered by the Davek Unconditional Lifetime Guarantee, it wonā€™t be covered for another replacement and will possibly be deemed as misuse under the ACL.

3 Likes

Again ACL would override that 1 replacement if the Umbrellas failed due to ACL covered faults. From what the original poster stated, is that they are failing during use (from what I interpret their post to mean) and that may indicate faulty products and so covered by ACL rights regardless of the extended guarantees offered by Davek.

Reading the 1 replacement it actually only refers the situation that the Umbrella is lost, so you can lose it once and that replacement isnā€™t free it has a ā€œup to 50% off the regular retail priceā€ cost.

4 Likes

Choice hasnā€™t tested hand held umbrellas as such because i purchased a hand held one recently wasnt cheap to buy bit tje manufacturer sats they have tested them in wind tunnel. I did use it when walking in tbe rain and some wind was around seems to handle compared to cheaper umbrellas that blow back and end up with it in pieces. I cam only say my own proof backs up thqt it still works. Another query is the warranty saus limited for 2 years providing i donā€™t thrash it about. I will see how it goes over time if it lasts in windy weather.