CSIRO Breakthrough In Meat Tenderising

An interesting article about CSIRO research into tenderising meat with shockwaves.

Let’s hope they have it patented before others steal their intellectual property.

An alternative process might be to simply hang the meat in front of the radio during an Alan Jones program.

3 Likes

If you are referring to “He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named”, you might also risk the steak come back to life and taking it out on the radio. :laughing:

3 Likes

But would he apologise to the meat afterwards? (He did with the meat in the sandwich.)

2 Likes

@Fred123, is this likely to make good meat cheaper because there is more of it?
Or is it going to make once not so good meat as expensive as prime steak?
That is, by eliminating cheap cuts that we might use in a casserole we are increasing profits and turning less cashed up consumers away from meat?

2 Likes

It’s been done before …

4 Likes

That must be what they use to try to tenderise the Brahman cross rubbish so as to get them to fit into the mincers.

3 Likes

And now a breakthrough in meat tenderness testing.

1 Like

Wait till you see the size of the cattle prod they use to get them into the trucks and the chopper they need to use to muster those beasts.

3 Likes

Does anyone know why Meat – Beef and Lamb is tough today – all cuts? Why is it so? Meat killed on farm was never this tough. Is it because the farmer killed the beast in a humane manner. When my husband Farmer killed our meat on farm WE NEVER EVER had tough meat. We were able to let our meat hang in the cool room which was definitely contributed to its tenderness. Like in the old days the butcher received his meat whole and it hung in the cool room where he cut it up for his customers. Meat today is not killed humanely and I think that adds to its toughness. Meat packaged and sealed in cryovac bags is not appealing at all. We now very rarely eat meat preferring Pork, Fish and Chicken. My husband relented last week and bought two veal steaks. Guess what? They were both tough. Veal was never tough.

3 Likes

Part of the reason currently is the poor state of the stock due to long term poor rainfall, lack of good food (protein and fat promoting) and down sizing the national herd in response to all of the influences. The premium product many want is difficult to obtain due to the buying of it by many Restaurants, Hotels etc for their guests so that their fare is not criticized unduly.

Coles, Woolworths and other chains and many butchers buy from slaughterhouses or from contracted producers and the quality can be variable depending on where the original supply was from.

3 Likes

My thoughts on the quality of beef are the breed of the animal, the grazing of it, and the processing of it.

In 1965, I went on a trip to Princess Charlotte Bay North of Cooktown to shoot feral pigs and to catch Barramundi.

We camped at the now former cattle station overnight and the manager kindly cooked us breakfast in the morning which was fillet steak and sides.

The fillet steak was freshly killed Brahman cross rubbish which had not been hung and aged.

It was impossible to eat and was the worst beef I have ever experienced in my life.

My old grandad used to say that Braham beef was tick resistant and tooth resistant.

I could have proven that this steak was actually bulletproof if we had not run out of .22 ammo the previous afternoon.