Credit card application

Unfortunately for many who would like ING cards, ING has the discretion to set their own credit standards; agree with them or not, that is not ‘discrimination’ under Australian law.

Generally ING is known to give credit cards to their customers who have or are given ING Orange transaction accounts and that have PAYG slips for wages. If they do take super statements that is AFAIK relatively recent, and the self employed are essentially ‘not their business’. For self employed some banks require statements of income for the previous 3 years by an accountant, not usually without cost to the applicant.

FWIW ING credit cards have to be auto-paid from the ING Orange transaction account. My partner has a credit card but I have not bothered because we pay cards 100% each month so using my debit card, if I need to, only requires a transfer from the savings maximiser to the transaction account. As we have other credit cards we are not dependent on ING.

While not obvious this older topic and the topics it links apply equally to the self employed as well as to the retired, more often than not.

1 Like