COVIDSafe app scepticism

More disturbing points of contact between COVID and the surveillance state: Coronavirus lockdowns could end in months if Australians are willing to have their movements monitored - ABC News

So the summary might be: Installing this app on your phone is voluntary but we have the gun to your head that without it all other restrictions will remain in force for longer and the economic pain will remain in force for longer.

the Government believes it would need at least 40 per cent of Australians to voluntarily sign up for it to be effective

From what I’ve seen they can probably get 40%. Too few Australians care about “secrecy, privacy, security, intrusion”, otherwise we wouldn’t already be in the legal cesspit we’re in.

The question that I would ask is: Is the app going to be open source so that anyone can independently review the security and privacy implications of the app? Or is it such rubbish that it would compromise the security of the app (or of the servers) for the source code to be made available?

Has the app been architected for maximum privacy i.e. data is not even available to government unless the data becomes relevant? not available to government at all but instead handled by a trusted third party? Is data destroyed once no longer relevant? Is data shared (e.g. with law enforcement) for completely unrelated purposes? You know, all the same annoying questions that were asked about MyHealthRecord but mostly never satisfactorily answered.

1 Like