Covid-19 Shopping: physical separation and safety issues

I have not seen any mention of no rainchecks at either Coles or Woollies.

Cystic Fibrosis WA said the panic buying phenomenon meant it had been unable to source any hand sanitiser to provide to the families it supports in Perth and beyond.

Woolies: “In addition, rainchecks won’t be offered on any advertised products on promotion. Faulty products will continue to be refunded in full, exchanged or repaired as normal.”

Coles: I could not find any relevant text but believe they are marching in lock-step with each other. Mea culpa if they are not.

1 Like

I suspect some of the panic buying is because nobody understands what a potential lock-down is or how it would work. Not for us to presume, but it would not so nice for our wonderful leadership (gag, cough) to come clean.

5 Likes

You must have been watching The Fed Minister for Health Greg Hunt and the CMO on ABC’s The Insiders this morning?

My take only. Apparently they have a staged plan and are carrying it out one step at a time. No need to worry about the next stage. They will let us all know what it is “after” we get there, oops “when” it is necessary. Obviously on a “Need to know” basis. :wink:

Casually indicating at some stage in the future they might decide to lock down whole cities, even Sydney, may not have reassured too many. The messaging on buying up to sit out isolation at home was still uncertain. On one hand no need to do so yet, and wait until advised to do so. On the other …?

1 Like

So is everyone who buys toilet paper a ‘grub’ ? or only those who beat you to it ? :rofl:

3 Likes

Even the wildlife is in on the act.

As I stated in my post, I went yo buy wipes, not toilet paper.

And yes, every selfish bottom-feeding parasite whose priority is to to simply to look after themselves at the expense of the needy in these times is a grub, if not a maggot or other such low-life.

Your eloquence with that one even exceeds your norm.

5 Likes

Some supermarkets are introducing an exclusive shopping time window for persons with seniors and disability cards from 7:00 AM to 8:00 AM this week.

Whilst it will be inconvenient or impossible for some older consumers to shop so early in the day, it is still better than doing nothing.

I will make a point of going tomorrow morning so I can look at the grubs crowded on the other side of the locked doors whilst I wave packs of toilet rolls in front of them.

PS. No point in our local Supa IGA following suit. They already open at 5:00 AM 364 days a year.

An article regarding the fiasco in Melbourne supermarkets.

Whist there was still no white basmati rice at Coles yesterday, there was still plenty of brown basmati rice.

I guess the panic merchants would not want to be eating anything too healthy.

I wonder if all the people who have bought all the flour and rice actually know how to cook with it, or wheher they simply think popping the pack into the microwave will somehow magically turn it into junk food.

Grubs? What grubs?

Went for a walk after lunch yesterday taking me past the local IGA. On a Sunday afternoon I would expect statistically it would be 0-5 cars in the car park, but there would have been 50+, it must have been like a locust plague inside. I wonder when the preppers will have filled their houses and we can go do a weekly shop. It’s going to get boring living on capsicum, spinach and strawberries from the garden.

1 Like

Meanwhile, back in the good old USA.

2 Likes

Where ever I look on line, the news on TV and radio, there is but one topic.

I wonder if simply repeating all of what is now being repeated many times in the media adds any value to the discussion here?

Perhaps a voluntary 14 day quarantine on repeating what is readily available in the public arena might help.

1 Like

No real surprise as it is the greatest threat to humanity in the century since the Spanish Flu pandemic killed between 50 and 100 million people, more than WWI and possibly more than WWII.

Hopefully this will be nowhere near as bad.

1 Like

The fights and Americans lined up for guns and with their guns is a prelude to their worry that this is the entry to ‘Beyond the Thunderdome’, or their Rapture, or the end of time.

It seems a fitting description when people are depleting supplies and some are prepared to fight for themselves and theirs to ‘get some’, even when the panic and depletion is a mindless self fulfilling prophesy. Their response is that is true, so far and they are not about to take a chance in being left out.

3 Likes

A wag in one of the other forums I go to, suggested that they had nailed it with the toilet paper, because the virus turns people into big a$$holes.

3 Likes

One from Facebook:

and another:

On a lighter note:

1 Like

They were all canned and shipped last year. Long before the outbreak

2 Likes