COVID-19 Poor business behaviour

Went to three pharmacies this morning for a box of disposable gloves.
Pharmacy 1: sold out
Pharmacy 2: $80 for a box of 50
Pharmacy 3: $12.95 for a box of 100
Can I name pharmacy 2 and 3?

6 Likes

Please do.

4 Likes

And post it on Facebook…!

3 Likes

In Pharmacy4less in Hurstville on 31st March they were selling Care Touch 50ml hand sanitiser for $7.99. Total price gouging. I have looked on pharmacy web sites and the price for 1 litre of hand sanitiser was between $14.99 and $17.99, unfortunately no stock.

In Woolworths on 1st April I purchased a 200ml bottle of Care Touch hand sanitiser for $8.00, a fair price. Pharmacy4less in Hurstville on 2nd April was selling a 400ml bottle of Hand Sanitiser for $30.00.

I refuse to purchase from these price gouging retailers and I will not shop in these shops when we come out of the COVID-19 pandemic. We should all boycott these price gouging businesses. If we do not take a stand we are condoning this bad business behaviour.

I was under the impression that Pharmacies were supposed to have people’s health as their 1st priority. I guess not.

Pharmacy4less should change their business name.

1 Like

Pharmacy4lessvalue?

Pharmacy4lesshonesty?

Pharmacy4lesscustomer care?

I’m beginning to suspect that the pharmacies have increased their prices so they don’t get bought out for the product to be resold. At least I hope that is 5e case.

An ad for Koala mattress with an offer of a $200 Deliveroo deal.

Gotta love the images of all the junk food to survive the pandemic.

To control sales put a limit of 1 item per customer/couple. By increasing the prices by between 100% and 400% only disadvantages those who can least afford to purchase the COVID-19 safety products (pensioners and especially elderly pensioners who are the most vulnerable and the unemployed).

4 Likes

I like Pharmacy4lessvalue

1 Like

No argument from me. I like the idea where you may buy one at the normal price and two are an exorbitant price. That has been working in Denmark and other places.

1 Like

They have lost me as a customer for this pathetic effort. Talk about shonky. How benevolent of them, only $149.95 for 50 masks.

$3.75 or so in the local Coles normally, and pretty much the same everywhere else. I don’t believe there’s a shortage of cream so the price jump in Woolworths online is not defensible, IMO. I’ll be going to Coles and IGA later to see if they have done the same thing. Aldi now has a pure cream too, but it tastes “wrong” so I’m not even considering that. Its the DF or nothing.

2 Likes

Woolies shelf price for DF Pure Cream was raised to $4.50 (600ml), no stock today as often the case. When queried they look in their computer and always reply ‘coming tonight’. It gets old.

Coles has 300ml at $2.95 and rarely out of stock. They never had a larger one at any local store. Same price a month ago. Had long expiration dates so paid the per ml premium to not have to go back to Woolies for one item in coming days.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve decided to give it all a miss until I really have to go out. I’m feeling quite fragile, and have no wish to take the risk, after all. My fruit and veg shop has gone online so thats good. I will be forced to go to Aldi for cat biscuits because thats what he loves. And I just got an emaiil about the basics box but I dont think its for me

2 Likes

A number of posts are criticising the prices for sanitiser as being nothing more than price gouging. May it is, but some background - the price of alcohol has skyrocketed and manufacturing capacity was limited in the first place.

3 Likes

It might be a good idea to cease E10 fuel production and redirect the ethanol to manufacture hand sanitizer instead.

All the consumers using E10 can simply use U91 instead for a few cents a litre more and get better fuel economy.

3 Likes

I’m just dropping in to say I’ve not responded much but I’ve been reading everyone’s contributions and really appreciate the engagement on this topic. We’re receiving so much insight from this thread, from email and other sources it’s really helpful in forming a picture of what’s going on in the broader community. Thanks all who’ve shared and for the interesting discussion.

4 Likes

Ebay shows the record of sale, so a dinkum item

2 Likes

Hand sanitiser requires food grade ethanol. The ethanol used in E10 typically requires a further process to remove impurities and meet the standard.

The effort may be worthwhile?
Whether purification is necessary in the current crisis may depend on the source of the ethanol?

The WHO formulation specifically mentions food grade ethanol. Perhaps caution against unknown or contaminated high risk product?

Some science re ethanol production.

2 Likes

Didn’t quite know where to put this. I tried to apply for Coles priority service. I’m excluded even though I am in a very high risk group. Immunity is down, heart failure, COPD and diabetes, plus I am over 70. But, because I dont have a MYAgedCare package (or NDIS or Redkite), I cannot get any help from them. I’ve sent them a savage note on facebook and will be seeking different insurance within the week.

REally, they don’t actually want to do it, I guess.

4 Likes