COVID-19 Poor business behaviour

Kogan/ Dick Smith. I purchased a phone sanitiser (UV light for $99 - standard price - about 4 weeks ago) I was notified 2 weeks ago it was on sale for $69. I’ve now looked at it today they have put it up to $199

I would like to officially complain about this blatant price gouging, how can I do this?

5 Likes

Nominate them for a Shonky as I did today for gadget City.

Post a review on Procuct Review.

1 Like

Welcome to the .community @jboudes

Problem 1 is Price gouging on essential items during the coronavirus or any crisis should be against the law – but so far it’s not

as revealed by Choice

Peter Dutton thumped his chest a bit and suggested gougers be reported to Crime Stoppers but why, when they have not committed a crime, per se.

The closest related law is about pricing. You can read about that at the ACCC site.

Bottom line is @Fred123’s advice to name and shame is about all there is in Australia.

3 Likes

Actually, it is believed that Iran talked down news of the virus because it had elections coming up in February and wanted a good turn-out. That looks to have been an unwise decision in 20/20 hindsight.

They are using the US spelling of litre and sanitiser. Sure it isn’t a photoshop? (Actually, it would be a tough one to achieve, especially when the bottles appear to spell sanitiser correctly. Probably just someone who can’t spell or read.)

Welcome to Capitalism.

It comes in your milk, which is why milk is pasteurised before drinking (and why those who like ‘raw’ milk so often die).

I suggest that Choice prepare a list of all the price gouging examples from this thread, including any shops associated with Ebay shopfronts, and issue a press release detailing them as well as providing those details to the ACCC. The press release will keep the public informed, while mentioning in it that the ACCC has been notified puts all businesses on notice.

5 Likes

I knew an old bushman (now deceased) who grew up on mum 'n dad dairy farm during the depression. He had to get up at first light to milk the cows, rain, hail or frost. He had no shoes. He told me with a wry grin that there were times on cold winter mornings when his feet hurt so much he put them in the warm milk to warm up.

2 Likes

Just a note that it’s not uncommon for some ebay sellers to list items at prices of $1000 or more for items that are normally much lower priced some will also state that these products are out of stock and not to be ordered I queried one many years ago and was told it’s a way to keep the listing open so rather than assume all these people are trying to profiteer I think some have probably done this without thinking

2 Likes

That theroy doesn’t actually hold up when eBay completed listings show that they have shafted buyers.

1 Like

As things evolve,

4 Likes

After looking for days at various outlets for hand sanitizer and face masks finally came across some at Pharmacy Nutrition Warehouse (Rosebery NSW).
I was paying for my flu vaccination and thought while there was some available I’d grab some because I didn’t know if we will be able to find any anywhere else. There was no pricing advertised and the items were right on the counter. I was shocked that my total bill was $198. I asked how much are the sanitizers and the pharmacy assistant said the Scotts 450ml was $45 each and Care Touch 50ml was $10.95 each. Face masks (Honeywell Safety Dust) were repackaged in zip lock bags and $8 for 2.
I was worried that we won’t be able to get these items in days to come so went ahead and purchased them but going to take them back as I cannot condone their actions. I’m not going to give them my hard earned cash and what concerns me more is letting them sell at these inflated prices to elderly and vulnerable in our community.

4 Likes

I spoke with my local pharmacist this evening, as I had heard she was selling small 2-serve hand sanitisers for $6.50. She said that she cannot get these things from her normal supplier as the Commonwealth is effectively grabbing it all - and so a truck driver went interstate in order that she could have something on the shelves. It is all sold out.

My wife and I have a long term, trusting relationship with this pharmacy, and from what she was saying it sounds like the suppliers are the ones marking up prices. I did mention this forum to her, and said that if she wanted to name any particular suppliers I would make sure they got a mention. We shall see.

4 Likes

3 Likes

A colleague took this photo at Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn, 3122, Boost Juice yesterday.

He stuck hidhead in and asked the smiling teen at the counter if it really gave immunity against COVID19 and she said “yeah it does”.

But the ingredients DO NOT boost immunity!

6 Likes

Some of those ingredients MAY help in immune boosting. But to infer it can protect you from Corvid-19 is both utterly unsupported and a disgusting marketing strategy. If they haven’t already send it to Boost and complain. They can discipline the franchise.

Also welcome to the forum!

4 Likes

Corporate marketing strategy or an enthusiastic teen who has not been sufficiently educated? Juices are marketed as good for us; they boost general immunity, that is all the sign shows. I don’t see anything about false marketing.

A friendly note to to the franchisee, manager, or corporate is warranted though.

2 Likes

A good article regarding the immune system and foods.

1 Like

My understanding is that a deficiency in some vitamins and minerals will lower your resistance but if you have a good balanced diet without deficiencies then taking extra will not make an appreciable difference.

The fallacy of if some is good then more is better is common in the wellness industry.

5 Likes

Agreed: ‘balanced diet, regular exercise and sleep’, all good advice!

You get many more micro-nutrients from a balanced diet than by taking individual supplements.

5 Likes

Here’s a product I’ve never seen before today!

5 Likes

Significant price inflation on hand sanitiser is occurring at Xconvenience petrol stations in Adelaide. They are selling 450ml bottles for $39.95. This equates to $88/L. I spoke to an employee about it who was not interested. Can choice please call this business out for price gouging.

4 Likes

Especially the sugar in a couple of the mixes! I’m not sure that “spinich” is much good either :wink:

2 Likes