COVID-19 Poor business behaviour

It appears that Kogan iare up to their old tricks once again with this “fantastic offer” on Manuka honey.

Was $199.99. Now only $49.99. Save $150.00.

The Nutrivance name appears to be exclusive to Kogan & Dick Smith.

I have not been able to find any listings for 500g of UMF 10+ Manuka honey for anywhere around $200 but plenty for around $50 or less including leading NZ brands.

Seems very reminiscent of their fridge/freezer deal.

One more to wonder about. This time that great Australian a brand Bonds, (now made somewhere else).

The wise one was having difficulty sourcing a particular underwater item from the near local outlets (30km drive each way). Phone calls failed as well as some detours on the fortnightly trip into the regional shopping centre.

Online found bonds.com.au. The items were located, and ordered including standard postage (7 days nominal). Yes, all at risk of AP not misplacing said delivery, although our score so far this year has been a 100% success.

What is no so great?

30 minutes after the order and payment had been accepted on line an email arrived as confirmation. An added noted advised that due to Covid affecting the business and the order shipping from Melbourne delivery cannot be guaranteed and may take longer than anticipated. We will be ready with the anti-viral treatment, although with the length of time AP might have possession, no virus could survive the long wait. :rofl:

2 Likes

Westfield locks 129 Mosaic Brands stores over rent dispute.

Solomon Lew’s grubby group gets a taste of their own medicine.

…at the expense of employees. Solomon Lew won’t miss any of it in his day to day life. His employees? It is not as if the Scentre Group (Lowy family and now UBS) ever had high ground as landlords.

A few years back in a Westfield Mall in the US there were virtually zero chairs to have a rest on. Asking why not the reply was (to paraphrase) they wanted active shoppers on their feet shopping.

1 Like

Bonds has stores, there is one in Westfields Hurstville and no doubt there are lots more Bonds stores

1 Like

Solomon Lew is a greedy money hungry person, it has always been his way or no way. I am not saying Westfields are any better. They should be able to reach a comprimise. Maybe they should evict all his shops from all Westfields centres.

1 Like

Priceline are expensive except for the specials. I no longer shop at Priceline.

2 Likes

Yes, that sounds like another big business using its power to manipulate consumers. This is why we need Consumers Affairs, ASIC etc to help protect the poorly informed consumer.

2 Likes

True, thanks. Westfield North Lakes might be a bit closer for us. Still 40+ mins down the M1 traffic gods willing plus return, you would need to make it a day out. Not something with Covid-19 still lurking that is appealing, assuming Bonds have store stock.

While a phone call can sort the stock concern, it’s not a carbon guilt free excursion.

What would be interesting to know is if Mosaic Brands have had an increase in sales like on average, the rest of the retail industry (if one accepts the claims in the article of an increase of 3.3%). I wonder if the Mosaic Brands have been struggling financially and using COVID-19 to try and get a better retail rent…but Westfield is not accepting these reasons for sagging sales.

Their hand sanitiser and facemask “pay now/get later” schemes should have assisted both rheir sales and their cash flows.

An article regarding the disgraceful treatment of a US tenent by a real estate agency.

https://honey.nine.com.au/latest/coronavirus-texas-single-mother-evicted-with-harsh-notice-gets-job/573d48e5-3604-4734-bcbc-a2b2b65a3231

A Canberra fashion store is ordered to pay a supplier after refusing to do so.

The owner claims to be concerned about illegal behaviour despite requesting the supplier to copy another brand’s designs.

You have to love hypocrisy.

1 Like

I had a good scoff reading that story over my coffee the other day too. That shop owner is grasping and at least the hearing didn’t accept any of her garbage. Little does she realise that her behaviour doesn’t hurt just her store but that of many boutiques in the area.

4 Likes

Wow. If you missed out on that fantastic offer, then here is their even better one.

How low than they go, either price wise or truth wise?

Perhaps hang out for a while and they may actually pay you to have the system installed.

1 Like

I wonder about the truthfulness of this blurb:

Coronavirus has changed the way we live – literally overnight. Avoid touching your face, wash your hands frequently, clean, sanitise, disinfect – this is now the new normal. Even your laundry needs to adapt. In this current pandemic and the sudden need to kill all germs, including in the laundry is front of mind and more important than ever. So Euca have developed a new blend – the 1.5lt Euca Laundry Sanitiser Antibacterial Liquid.

Why should we use Laundry Sanitiser Liquid in our washing?

Did you know that your laundry could make you sick too? Since viruses can live for hours on porous surfaces like clothing, it poses the risk of spreading the virus to other laundry items. In addition, most microorganisms present in soiled laundry survive the normal wash cycle; hence sanitising can go a long way towards totally eliminating those germs and viruses.

I really like the products from this mob. They don’t need to come up with false fears. Does this blurb go too far?
https://www.eucaonline.com.au/product/euca-laundry-sanitiser-liquid-antibacterial-1-5lt

4 Likes

The blurb is very vague and tries to hint that because of COVID you need this sanitiser now more than ever. However it says it is antibacterial not antiviral, the advert does not address the question of whether it kills viruses and in particular if it kills COVID.

hence sanitising can go a long way towards totally eliminating those germs and viruses.

How far is a long way? Would killing common bacteria during your wash cycle be a long way?

If they had evidence that it kills COVID I would expect them to say so therefore I assume that they do not.

5 Likes

The blurb goes way way too far!
Far enough to not like the product because the looseness with the facts leads one to wonder at the motives of the supplier/manufacturer.

It’s also spreading a misconception that to survive we need to live in a germ (bacteria) free environment. Reality is we live in a world surrounded by virus and bacteria. Nearly all bacteria are essential to our existence. That includes the ones that live in our grey water absorption trench and septic tank.

Assuming Euca are being 100% reliable with their blurb, the goal of eliminating bacteria could also lead to the end of their customer base.

Truth in advertising and marketing starts and ends with the name on the product label. And even that may be fake? :thinking:

P.S.
Leveraging marketing based on fear, irrational, FOMO, etc should be banned.

4 Likes

If one looks at the product on face value, it is Euca Laundry Sanitiser Antibacterial Liquid. Covid-19 (coronavirus) is a virus and not bacteria, so any antibacterial properties may have no effect on a virus.

It is also worth noting that detergents/soaps strip the lipids from the surface if the virus in effect killing them (which is why hand washing with soap is the most effective way to clean ones hands). I suspect that the strong detergents in clothes powder/liquids will have the same efffect…so why use an antibacterial product when it possibly won’t work (as Covid is a virus) and standard clothes washing detergents possibly have some effect on Covid.

When washing clothes the standard measures for Covid:

Launder items as appropriate in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If possible, launder items using the warmest appropriate water setting for the items and dry items completely.

Choice has also covered it as well…

Highest possible temperature is also recommended as a secondary control measure and to enhance the effectiveness of the detergents used.

There is also a suggestion to use a weak sodium hypochloride solution, but this wouldn’t be suggested for any clothes or linen which could be bleached.

There are no published recommendations from recognised agencies which recommend the use in antibacterial agents when washing clothes for Covid control.

It appears to be a poor attempt to push their product into a market where effectiveness may not have any benefits to the consumer.

5 Likes

This really does seem to be at least bordering on misleading. Thanks for the tip, @jen, I’m going to following this one up.

8 Likes