COVID-19 (Novel Coronavirus, 2019-nCoV) News

I have been the only passenger on a regional flight…I recall a Ansett Brasilla and a Qantas/Sunstate regional flight.

These flights occurred due to logistics…they needed to still have the flights as there were passengers on the rerurn leg.

This often happens with larger aircraft as well if a plane issue takes a particular plane out of service. A spare needs to be relocated to continue routes for the out of service plane.

In addition, often with a crisis (natural disaster, political unrest, disease etc), it can take some time for the impacts to flow through to passenger numbers. There can be an immediate impact, as well as long term impacts as things settle down. I imagine airlines won’t start rescheduling until impacts settle down and they know what the short to medium term picturevlooks likel

I suspect that an airline could cancel previously fully booked flights, but if the cancelled flight isn’t near empty, it could have major flow on effects (think of sort of impacts when Thomas Cook went under).

As was the case with the Townsville floods, the drought and the bushfires, the coronavirus pandemic has highlighted both the very best and the very worst of humanity.

The Townsville floods saw persons doing all they could to assist those worse off whilst grubs looted and scammed.

The drought showed the generosity of Aussies donating and transporting stockfeed whilst grubs resorted to stockfeed scams and false charities.

The bushfires saw persons from all over Australia and overseas volunteer to assist those affected whilst grubs looted and scammed.

And the same pattern is happening with the coronavirus.

Kids buying toilet rolls to donate to pensioners.

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/coronavirus-panic-selfless-queensland-girls-buy-toilet-paper-to-give-to-pensioners/89018962-3785-43be-9c0d-d3919d577fa1

A cystic fibrosis sufferer pleads to get some tissues and offers to swap toilet rolls for them.

A person in Hobart who refused to self quarantine and went to work regardless potentially placing others at risk.

An idiot in Japan who deliberately attempted to infect others.

I am totally disgusted.

1 Like

i heard some countries are searching for such idiots and they are putting them into jail. scary to go to a bar and eat a breakfast nowadays. hopefully it would all end by summer.

1 Like

Might our governments be about to join the club?

It’s noted many are now seeking legal clarification. A great headline in the making, “not to be taken lying down”.

The PM has promised to announce the Commonwealth response, hopefully calming the situation with some practical support for those in the community most affected economically. :thinking:

Scott Morrison will reveal some details of his closely-guarded support package in Sydney today, when he delivers a keynote speech at the Australian Financial Review Business Summit.

scott-morrison-economic-impacts-coronavirus-australia

1 Like

Even scammers are trying to cash in on the virus. This just landed in my email box from Norton…

Scam Alert

Cybercriminals are using concerns about the coronavirus to launch phishing attacks

Learn to identify and protect yourself against such attacks

What is Happening?

While COVID-19, or the novel coronavirus, is capturing attention around the world, cybercriminals are capitalizing on the public’s desire to learn more about the outbreak. There are reports of phishing scams that attempt to steal personal information or to infect your devices with malware, and ads that peddle false information or scam products.

In one example, a phishing email that used the logo of the CDC Health Alert Network claimed to provide a list of local active infections. Recipients were instructed to click on a link in the email to access the list. Next, recipients were asked to enter their email login credentials, which were then stolen.

4 Likes

An article exposing myths regarding the coronavirus.

1 Like

Alan Joyce and other Qantas executives give up part of their salaries.

I had considered posting the question as to whether he would but he beat me to it.

1 Like

An article advising of 10 reasons not to panic over the coronavirus.

And Bill Gates stumps up with some more money to help fight the outbreak.

2 Likes

As we know, the Coronavirus has hit Italy badly. A contributing factor could be that it is going through a worse than usual flu season this year: at January 2020 there were 2,768,000 reported cases of influenza, and 240 deaths.

3 Likes

The NSW Government has a (currently rather short on details) web page of Coronavirus updates

https://preview.nsw.gov.au/novel-coronavirus-covid-19

1 Like

The probable explanation includes implicit questions going back a few months.

3 Likes

A few years ago, I developed an infection on my fingernails which made them somewhat unsightly and the dermatologist told me it was caused by my excessive washing of my hands which I do at least 20 times a day.

He prescribed an ointment and also said to use Canesten drops on them which I do every night and they are now almost perfect.

However, in view of the coronavirus pandemic, I seriously doubt that anyone else will be told that they are washing there hands too often anytime soon.

Another article warning consumers regarding myths about preventing or curing coronavirus including idiots recommending drinking bleach and snorting cocaine.

Uber and Uber Eats say that they will compensate their drivers who are quarantined due to the coronavirus.

What a refreshing change in comparison to the usual Uber news.

The timing of washing and possibly not frequency is important. Hand washing before eating and before one puts hands to one’s face.

Coronavirus can’t get through skin, but can enter through facial openings.

1 Like

300,000 fans; international and interstate and local visitors to the Australian F1 GP last year.

The safest place to be might be in pit lane. At least the competing crews have an interest to ensure any likely cases have been managed by their teams. Outside the massed crowds of international visitors who will spend the best part of this week and perhaps more travelling around Victoria. It’s common to catch a cold when travelling. How many might report in or self isolate for two weeks on a sniffle while on a short visit to Melbourne & Victoria. Fingers crossed.

Ground zero or a dodged bullet, guess we will all find out in 7-14days time. :thinking:

1 Like

News about the news:

The story so far:

The sad history of handwashing:

[edit]
Wisdom from Greta Thunberg on Facebook. Have you noticed that it isn’t the young who are hoarding toilet paper?

1 Like

The Federal Government coronavirus relief packege includes $750 for pensioners and Newstart recipients, and is due to be paid on 31.03.2020.

Bad news for persons over 60 who get infected with the coronavirus in Italy.

You simply get thrown under the bus.

An article advising what can and what shouldn’t be flushed down the toilet.

Going by all the shoppers who I have seen recently with multipile packs of paper towel rolls in their shopping trolleys, Xmas might be coming early for some plumbers.