COVID-19 Contact Tracing - Australians Doing the Right Thing

This is a possible work around for iPhones…

The government is getting serious about Aussies downloading the app…

Looks like update may influence control relaxations.

Another reason to install…

What kind of phone do you have Kim?
I have my hearing aids and my apple watch connected via bluetooth to my iphone at the same time constantly :slight_smile:
I can also be connected to multiple bluetooth audio devices (HAs, and two separate bluetooth speakers) but can only send the audio signal to one device at a tome

2 Likes

The app store fakes is an issue, and one that Google and Apple should really stand up and take ownership of solving.

Re hearing aids etc, at least on Android, I believe if your phone is new enough to be using bluebooth BLE it should be fine, as the bluetooth isn’t actually connecting to nearly devices with the COVID safe app - it’s merely observing and recording that they are there.

2 Likes

It’s a curly one. For many people being able to install it isn’t (or shouldn’t be) an issue, but what level of installs are they expecting - as a great many people probably have devices too old or low spec to run the app.

I doubt the government will ever state their target. They’d just prefer to leave it hanging and let our worst imaginings fill in the blanks.

1 Like

Bugs & Work Arounds

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2020-05-01/covidsafe-contact-tracing-app-rollout-issues-iphone-wifi-bugs/12202876

1 Like

I made sure I knew the name and input that into the search box. Then double checked.

1 Like

For others still looking you can find it here:

https://www.health.gov.au/resources/apps-and-tools/covidsafe-app

My partner and I also have older Samsung phones and the app says they are not compatible. We both want to install it but are not buying new phones to do so. How many thousands of people are in the same situation I wonder?

6 Likes

Scotty from Marketing may be on The Winning argument for downloading!

2 Likes

I wonder if anyone has encountered this problem after installing and activating COVIDSafe. My Samsung A8 phone appears to suffer diminution/loss/delay of signal since I installed the app.

Can’t say I have though I’m either on wifi or Telstra 4G. Perhaps your Telco’s local towers are having issues?

1 Like

Hi @nelste,
Welcome to the community and thank you for your interest and input.

It’s unfortunate that not everyone who would like to join in can. The more who can the more effective the outcome including for those who can’t, for what ever reason. Our mum at nearly 92 is one of those who cannot handle new technology.

Re individual phone models. Depending on brand the issue can be simply a reluctance of the phone manufacturers to update older phones. Although my older Sony Xperia (spare) from 2015 has an update for Android 6.0. That may be an exception.

The App relies on some features of Bluetooth not available on early model Android and iPhone versions.
The developers and government advice is clear on needing at least Android version 6.

2 Likes

I’ve been reading the same thing, but I would like someone who really understands the code to verify if it is true. I have an iPhone and have installed the app. I get a reminder every day to be sure to turn in the app and run my phone in low power mode. Low power mode automatically returns the phone to the lock screen after 30 seconds without use. Whenever I get a reminder alert, if I tap on it, it tells me I already have the app open and running as needed. Those messages would cause me to think the app does run in the background if you have it open. Can anyone verify this?

Every day at 9am? Me too, and most others on iOS. Mine has gone to the background. I refuse to use it foregrounded and active and watch my battery life kark it. Starting to believe the tin hat mob who think its all about Morrison getting everyone back to work, and nothing to do with keeping us safe. IN its current incarnation, it wont. It will do SFA.

2 Likes

Android phone we have gives the same message. I wonder if this is a reminder to keep the app open rather than an issue. I haven’t closed down by the app to see if the same message is given.

BTW…spoke to some of my family today (video call rather than in person) and they have removed the app because they read online the government could easiky change data privacy legislation and sell the data to another party to allow them to mine for profit (maybe they had read the COVIDSAFE thread on this forum?). Even though they really don’t have much data unless there is a major oitbreak as data is stored on phones and not automically shared

I said this was a load of garbage, otherwise the government would have/will be selling off every database they have such as ATO, Human Services, DFAT etc. I said there are individuals and some media organisations who want the app to fail for political reasons…rather than support it and ensure its success in minimising potential spread of infection. While the app may not he perfect, it has the potential to benefit most those at high risk to the virus infection. It seems some think political point scoring by some is better than ensuring health of the broader community and protecting life.

After our call, they said they would do the right thing and reinstall the app. They couldn’t believe how ignorant they had been.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: COVIDSafe app privacy concerns

Hi @phb, perhaps they were more scared than ignorant. Both the extreme right and extreme left have been exploiting the current pandemic via social media to further their own agendas.

1 Like

Indeed some things like Robodebt were very poorly done. And I’m sure Dutton and his ilk would gleefully misuse personal data for their own benefit.

Source code, while not intended to be available that way, can be decompiled from the app itself - it makes no attempt to obfuscate the code in the app.

Suspect that like no source code yet, lacking legislation on the issue is pollies’ presently undermanned departments scrambling to figure this tech thing out and how to produce such legislation.

Indeed I suspect the most egregious of your worries about government misuse would fail to materialise for a simple reason - incompetence/lack of tech nous, rather than for any innate altruism. Heh, can you imagine the skills that would be required for them to actually use the data in any meaningfully nefarious way?

Fair that those who interact with no-one (for 15 mins or more) would be doing naught more than opting to drain their batteries faster.

2 Likes

Sadly all too true. We can only hope that once again, they wouldn’t have the technical imagination let alone comprehension to recognise what they could attempt for force companies to do for them.