CHOICE membership

Cost of Generics vs Name Branded Meds

There are generic alternatives to Telfast. Ask at your local pharmacy :wink: .

Packaging Airspace

While going OT here, it remains an interesting topic so I will split it off. Generics are usually a ‘win’ and I normally buy them, but are not always.

My web survey (re)confirms generic fexofenadine hcl (in the largest boxes) can be 54% MORE expensive to 10% LESS expensive than the brand once the annually offered rebate is taken into account (not counting postage when applicable). In small packets the generic can be half the cost but when you use a med why ever buy a small packet because of the absurd unit cost for either brand or generic, in comparison to the large box?

The equation shifts a bit depending on where you buy each and whether you walk by the chemist regularly, need to make a special trip (petrol), or need to have it posted, and whether there is a rebate on :wink:

My local pharmacy offers both, and the generics are pretty much always cheaper - regardless of any rebate offers.

One thing that does worry me regarding generics is in the supermarket. Increasingly, the local Coles has their branded products pushing out other brands - and once established, they raise the price. A lot. I am surprised that the ACCC has not stepped in to stop supermarkets from controlling the entire grocery supply chain.

While that is pushing the scope of the topic I have noticed that also. A nice topic for its own thread.

Alternatively, perhaps the title and categorisation of this thread could be broadened to cover more generic vs. name branded costs/benefits?

I started a new one in Food to keep this one in health and body.

https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00950

Why a Canadian website? https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/medicines/medicinal-product/aht,21379/fexofenadine

To make life interesting. Most generics and branded medications are sold worldwide.

Maybe, but shipping will generally take care of any savings - unless you’re buying your medicines from China or India, which I would not recommend.

I went through this exercise but found that MOST tablets/caplets use LACTOSE as a binder. For a “lactose intollerant” person you need to check the label (but more importantly the manufacturer’s website). Telfast seemed to be the only OTC hayfever remedy without lactose in it available at my pharmacy. Even the pharmacists were unaware of the lactose use in these remedies, until I pointed it out to them.

I agree. I tend to buy 30 pack Telfast in Chemist Warehouse as it is cheaper but only if I am travelling to the town that had that chemist.