Companion animals allowed anywhere?

Companion animals are those animals we consider family, they share our home and our life. Increasingly people are expecting to be able to take their dog with them anywhere and rules are being relaxed to allow them in shops, restaurants, hotels. Where I live the dog population has increased manifold since Covid19 when most people worked from home and walking the dog was exempt from the restrictions of time and also pets provided companionship during those strict rules of isolation.
With the exception of assistance-dogs, I havenā€™t yet noticed any allowed in shops, libraries, public transport, indoor eating places, but to my amazement Iā€™m seeing dogs brought in at church!
Although I love dogs it doesnā€™t seem proper to me to bring in one in the Sanctuary which is not our living room to be drinking coffee and being distracted and having pets around you while the service is happening?

I wonder what others think, even if not church goers, but just commenting on the concept of being able to bring pets anywhere including churches, and if dogs are allowed why not other pets as well?

(I know thereā€™s a traditional Catholic/Anglican blessing of the animals once a year service but I think thatā€™s different)

7 Likes

By default many buildings do not allow pets. In the case of those that serve food the rules are fairly strict so you will not see that too often - at least not legally.

As for church as it isnā€™t a health risk I think it should be up to the members. Situations vary and some are likely to consult and others the priest will just say no. It isnā€™t an issue for me as my dogs are heathens.

9 Likes

I agree. I would like to take my companion goat, Butthead, to church. He gets bored on Sunday mornings as there is nothing on TV. We can share a big bag of chips together.

7 Likes

When you two are out walking together does he wear a sign saying ā€œButtheadā€ or is it left to interpretation?

2 Likes

Bunnings allows dogs, but must be well controlled.

4 Likes

Everything will all be fine until two animals get in a fight and one (or their owner or someone else) is badly injured. Those which allow pets to go to stores, churches, schools etc will know of this possibility and therefore may be subject to legal action.

Pets are animals and not children. Unfortunately some think they are no different to children and should have the same rights.

One only exception is registered assistance animals.

11 Likes

There are varying view points in the community as to what is a companion animal, and what authority (state/territory and councils) would say and regulate. The keeping of native animals is also subject to Commonwealth regulation/protection. Best to review and consult as required before making a decision on any pet or animal.

For @Gregr and companion Butthead, assume it is a Nubian, and the breeders concerns of whether to dehorn have been resolved. Worth looking first to your local council regulations. Butthead is livestock. Itā€™s likely there are regulations to adhere to. Given a suitable place of residence goats are accepted by some councils on urban lots. When out and about regulations would apply, with due consideration the same as if I chose to drove 1,000 head of scrubbers through downtown Sydney.

For those with less interesting pets than a mottled Nubian, IE dogs and cats, Local council and Govt regulations are my go to. I suspect there are some pet owners who are testing the willingness of authorities to enforce regulation, and others the friendship of others. Generally our local council will not take any action unless there are formal complaints. The community rules?

P.S.
I have numerous happy neighbours. Some with dogs that bark or cats that stray, roosters that crow, chooks that cackle, horses that do horsey stuff down the road, and even sone with goats. In return I have a collection of more native species. Some like the Yellow tailed black cockatoos or Eastern brown snakes are free to come and go. Community minded I donā€™t take either with me in the trolley at Bunnings. You can never know when children might want to hold out the hand of friendship to a new pet. Iā€™ve yet to encounter any of the neighbours with their pets at the local pub or Woolies.

The Aussie TV series ā€œDogs Behaving (very) Badlyā€ says it all for me. Not all pet owners understand how best to meet the needs of their pets in ways the rest of us might find acceptable.

8 Likes

It seems the issue goes far back.

4 Likes

There are registered assistance animals which have a legal status and canā€™t be refused entry to a premises:

Owners of registered assistance animals have proof of registration (or licensing) which can be presented when asked to demonstrate the important/significance of the animal.

Any other animal is a pet.

7 Likes

More than one in 20 Aussies have a fear of dogs.

As a society and politically Australianā€™s recognise the needs of minorities, especially in response to physical and health conditions. These include, often at great added expense providing accessibility options in public areas, retail/business and other spaces.

How does one balance the needs of those with a real fear of dogs and not cause them to be pushed aside? We all need access to the same places without fear to meet our everyday needs, essential and social.

4 Likes

Neglected to mention taking pets to work :laughing:

4 Likes

What about pet rats, guinea pigs, mice, parrots, budgies, snakes, lizards, cats, goannasā€¦

I guess some could be well hidden as they may be small enough to shove in a pocket or in a shirt/blouse, some would stand out though and could not be disguised or hidden :smile:

4 Likes

The Companion Animals Act 1998 makes a very interesting reading.
A small excerpt below:

companion animal means each of the followingā€”
(a) a dog,
(b) a cat,
(c) any other animal that is prescribed by the regulations as a companion animal.

Noteā€”
The fact that an animal is not strictly a ā€œcompanionā€ does not prevent it being a companion animal for the purposes of this Act. All dogs are treated as companion animals, even working dogs on rural properties, guard dogs, police dogs and corrective services dogs.
corrective services dog means a dog that is being used on official duty by a correctional officer (within the meaning of the Crimes (Administration of Sentences) Act 1999).

Noteā€”
This Act contains special exemptions for corrective services dogs. Because this definition requires that the dog is being used on official duty by a correctional officer, the exemptions apply only when the dog is ā€œon dutyā€.

6 Likes

Agreed, it does. More importantly for those subject to the laws of the state of NSW where the act applies. A shortcut to a summary for NSW - https://www.lawsociety.com.au/sites/default/files/2018-04/Companion%20animals.pdf

I found no similarly named legislation for Queensland. The following does offer some direction including enforceable undertakings.

And

In respect of legislation in general, a word of caution. Legislation that is an Act often mentions regulation. In which instance there is usually another document/s. A Regulation with a title and referenced according to an Act. Regulations can be amended to suit circumstance and or the government of the day. What one reads in an Act and assumes possible may be somewhat different in outcome according to Regulation. The schedules attached to the Regulation can exclude or specifically regulate by exception.

Noted the RSPCA and many other community animal/pet orientated organisations offer their own versions of advice on what a companion animal is and requirements of the person responsible.

The Commonwealth biosecurity, native animals and State/Territory agriculture/livestock/health etc legislation contains requirements that are also important, and will have an order of precedence. Hence what might seem possible according to legislation referring to companion animals may be prohibited by other legislation.

Whether any of us can object to a companion animal in certain spaces? If the law does not restrict or prevent it, is it at the discretion of the owner/authorised person in charge of the property? Legally ā€œRegistered assistance and support dogsā€being the most likely exception.

The Guide Dogā€™s specifically trained as assistance animals set the standard IMO.

2 Likes

Goodness, here we go again getting bogged down by the meaning of a word! :laughing:
Shall we call them Pets? Dogs are the most likely to be taken anywhere by their owners because of the special bond they develop with humans who feel guilty seeing how much they suffer when they are left alone.
Butthead, on the other hand would be happy to be left in peace to munch on fresh lettuce leaves and not be dragged to church and be forced to feed on unhealthy potato chips by his owner.:wink:

BTW the Companion Animal Act, if we look closely, states rules and regulations, such as registration, permits, penalties etc which are similar to those accepted all over Australia, if I read it right.

3 Likes

Without comment and only adding the point, there are ā€˜companion animalsā€™ (usually referenced as ā€˜service/assistance animalsā€™) as mentioned in already linked legislation and more recently a category usually called ā€˜emotional support animalsā€™. The two are not congruent although some expect they are or should be and others are less empathetic to having one of the latter around, place dependent.

5 Likes

Companion animals describe the domestic animals which we may refer to as ā€˜petsā€™ including dogs, cats, horses, ornamental fish, caged birds.

In reference to dogs in particular thereā€™s a difference between Assistance Dogs and Emotional Support (or Therapy Dogs) and a simply ā€˜Companionā€™ Dog, which we usually call ā€˜Petā€™.

The following might be of interest?

RSPCA
Queensland
Home
> What we do ā€ŗ Animal welfare awareness ā€ŗ Companion animals
Companion animals are those animals we bring into our homes, lives and hearts
With 62% of Australian households incorporating a pet in to the family, companion animals are more prevalent than ever before. From farms to inner city apartments, companion animals are a part of Australian life.

From Faunalytics Fundamental:
COMPANION ANIMAL
FUNDAMENTALS
By most estimates, weā€™ve been living in close proximity to companion animals for tens of thousands of years. Cats, dogs, and other companion animals share our homes, and often our broader environments, and exist in a very special category: unlike farmed animals, whom we breed simply to consume, and research animals, whom we ā€œsacrifice" to solve human problems, companion animals are part of our families. This exclusive Faunalytics Fundamental examines our relationship with dogs, cats, and other companion animals, exploring the various issues that arise from our special relationship, based on the best available and current data. We hope you find the information useful in your advocacy, and in your day-to-day lives with your own companions.

Assistance Dogs such as Guide Dogs would have no problem entering public areas where other animals might not be allowed?

3 Likes

I guess Poeā€™s law really does apply. Some religions have a thing about goats and their strange looking eyes. And horns. So a goat in church. Geddit readers?
:wink: :wink:

I am a 100% fan of dogs, cats and all animals and have owned many over my lifetime. However I have noticed ā€œassistanceā€ dogs in my local supermarkets and local shopping centre since, as you stated, lockdown (wearing assistance animal harnesses that you can buy on many websites).
I think this privilege should only be for people with the type of disability, that requires a fully trained dog, that is trained by a recognised facility. These dogs take up to two years to train at a cost of up to $60,000.
Whilst I fully believe in the benefits an animal can bring someone with companionship, love and ā€œa reason to get out of bedā€, I donā€™t believe those animals should be allowed to have access anywhere. The more lax the rules become, with any breed of dog, not professionally trained, then I think the waters can be muddied. Sadly there are still stories being told of people with seeing eye dogs who are discriminated against and muddied waters would not
help thier cause at all. Thatā€™s just my opinion.

11 Likes

When I lived in England, it was very common for there to be ā€˜pub dogsā€™. Invariably they would wander around looking for a pat or some crisps, or just lie down next to the owner.

Some were full-on drunks. Always looking for a spilt drink on the the floor, or stealing coasters off the table and licking the beer off them.

It was great. Considered totally normal.