Comfort foods- Recipes that are prepared easily

POTATO CASSEROLE

A recipe my grandmother taught me . Fairly simple and very tasty .

INGREDIENTS

• 6-8 potatoes . I used Dutch creaming .

• 2 bunches of spring onions

• 2 tomatoes

• Cheese , slices , off the block, your choice there.

• 2 Small round Gherkins (optional )

• Dried oregano and marjoram .

• Salt and pepper to taste .

PREPARATION

• Peel the potatoes and cube so they cook quicker

• Place them in a suitable vessel to boil .I used a 6lt stock pot .

• When cooked to a good mashing consistency empty them in a colander to drain .

• Once drained place them back in the stock pot for mashing .

• Mash to an even consistency .

• Prepare casserole dish . I wiped the inside with olive oil .

• Spoon 25-35mm of potato mash into the casserole .

• Smooth it over then place a layer of cheese and some chopped spring onions on the mash .

• Spoon another 25-35mm of mash into casserole . Repeat with cheese and spring onion .

• Spoon in another 25-35mm of mash . Add cheese , spring onions , and thinly sliced tomato

• Cut the Gherkins into thin rounds and add . Sprinkle oregano and marjoram over the top .

• Salt and ground black pepper to taste .

• Put lid on casserole and put in pre heated oven . 175C.

• When potatoes brown near the edges it is cooked . Take out and serve

This is a bare bones version of the recipe . I could see some sauteed onion being added next time along with some capsicum and thin apple slices .

Cheers

ENJOY

4 Likes

A vegetarian starter to a summer meal with a Mediterranean flavour.

• Eggplant rolls

Ingredients:
2 eggplants
1 tin of whole peeled tomatoes
200g ricotta
200g mozzarella
50g grated cheese

Cut off the green end of 2 eggplants, wash, and cut in thin long slices.
Fry or grill lightly and place on a paper covered plate.

In a non stick fry pan heat a little oil and infuse with a clove of garlic. Add the peeled tomatoes and cook until reduced to sauce consistency.

In a bowl mix the ricotta, mozzarella, and grated cheese, or any cheeses you
prefer. Add salt and pepper.

Spread the cheese mixture on each
aubergine slice, roll and place in an oven proof baking dish. Pour tomato sauce on top, add more grated cheese, and a few leaves of basil.

Place on a pre-heated oven at 180 for 10 minutes ( oven temperature and length of cooking will vary according to your individual cooker).

Serve hot.

3 Likes

Came back to find that the recipes here are getting more complex!

I cook just for myself and anything that takes longer than 10 minutes prep and 30 minutes cooking is just not for me. Quelle dommage!

1. Brussels sprouts either pan fried with bacon and onion, or steamed and butter added later, takes just a few minutes either way. I sometimes have that for breakfast.

2. Tuna treat… think I might have mentioned it further back in this thread, cant remember… cook up a potato, mash it, add some chopped onion (raw) and some frozen peas which have been steamed aready, mix in a small can of tuna, dump all in a microwave safe dish (I use glass bowls) and top with cheese. 4 minutes in the microwave oven to melt the cheese. total time probably 30 minutes.

3. vegies, bacon and rice: quickly fry up some frozen green beans (yes, they do fry up quite nicely) some chopped onion, mushrooms and bacon. In the meantime you’ve done a 40 second microwaveable pot of brown rice, throw it all in a bowl with some butter, and mix it. Another fast feed :slight_smile:)

Well, those are my favourite quick and easy.

6 Likes

Here is a rice recipe quick and easy for a special lady:

•Cold rice with lemon zucchini and tuna:

I won’t give the quantities because when we are alone we know how much to cook for ourselves.
This dish can be prepared even a few days ahead and kept in the fridge, it’s a cold dish suitable for hot days, and to have something at hand when we don’t have the time nor the inclination to cook.

Method:
•Cook the rice any way you like it.

•Wash and cut into cubes the zucchini,
cook in a little oil or butter for 2 m.
Add the juice of a small lemon, cook a minute more.

•When cooled down, mix with the cold rice, the tuna, add thyme and oregano and the grated zest of the lemon.
You can add cherry tomatoes and olives if those are suitable for you.

Hope you like it :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Ooooh yummy, might give that a whirl tomorrow!

4 Likes

EASY SLIDERS

An easy recipe for rissole sliders

INGREDIENTS

• Packet of Coles everyday priced $5.00 Rissoles

• Dijon mustard

• 12 Dinner bread roles

• Lettuce , Tomato

• Pipped olives and some cocktail pickled onions

• Mayonnaise

• 10cm Bamboo skewers

• I used a 28cm Cast Iron Skillet . Purchased at Aldis . Crofton brand .

PREPARATION

• The rissoles are about 18mm thick . Carefully cut them to 9mm *

• I had 6 rissoles which now became 12

• Add some cooking oil to the skillet , use a medium heat and add 6 of the rissoles .

• They cook very quickly so have a plate ready to put them on whilst the remaining 6 cook .

• Cut your dinner rolls hamburger style and give a quick heat up under the griller (optional )

• Place the cooked patties on the rolls and top with tomato and lettuce .

• Add some dijon mustard

• Place the top of the roll on the bottom half . Skewer a pickled onion and olive .

• Skewer the slider vertically so the olive and pickled onion are on top .

This is just a simple recipe . Add condiments etc to your own taste .

Cheers

ENJOY

5 Likes

I hesitate to add this as it will scare some people. But it is simple, few ingredients, cheap and very tasty. Mainly a finger-food snack or aperitif for a party but could be a lunch with other stuff. I think it is easy but YMMV. Prep time about 20 minutes, total time 2 to 3 hours.

Asian Caramel Wings

• A kilo chicken wings, cut off the third joint (that is the tips) and use for stock, keep the two larger joints together, dry them on kitchen paper and return to the fridge.
  • Half a cup sugar
  • Half a cup fish sauce, measured out into a cup
  • 3cm knob of fresh ginger peeled and grated
  • Fresh ground black pepper to taste
  • Chilli powder to taste
  • Finely chopped spring onions.

Prepare and measure all ingredients.

In a small heavy saucepan, heat the sugar on medium heat stirring with a wooden spoon. You are making dark caramel, open the windows and put on the exhaust fan. The sugar will melt and go through several stages and I am not going to describe them all.

When it is all melted and runny scrape down the sides so there are no bits on the side or lumps. Watch carefully the colour and appearance. As it darkens it will start to bubble and froth. Stir quickly and pay attention, once it is dark brown (not black!) take off the heat, lean back, take a breath and pour in the fish sauce and stir quickly. It will bubble and spit but subside. Add the other ingredients except the onions, keep stirring and return to low heat. The caramel should dissolve and leave you with a sticky sauce like thin honey. Cool it.

Poor the sauce over the wings, in a bowl perhaps, and coat thoroughly. Refrigerate for an hour (or more) turning a few times.

Pre-heat the oven to 180C fan-forced, put the wings on an oiled slide or shallow metal pan and cook until well browned and caramel on the edges about 10-12 minutes each side . Pour any extra sauce over as you turn them.

Allow to cool a bit and serve sprinkled with spring onions. Provide finger bowls, paper napkins etc.

6 Likes

It’s a beautiful recipe. But to anyone who is going to try it, may I say: Please,
be very careful, because caramel is the last stage of sugar cooking, and its temperature is the highest, even a droplet on your skin will stick and burn savagely. The most dangerous part is when adding liquids, stand back and protect your hand: maybe an oven glove?

And, please, no tasting until well cooled down!

7 Likes

Buffalo wings.

Buffalo wings are meant to be spicy hot, eaten with celery and a cooling dip, often in a pub. The real deal should make one sweat.

My Far Southern style is just a main that goes well with slaw and hot chips or grilled zucchini. Not exactly quick but easy.

[X] Drumettes and wingettes - don’t buy by weight, buy by the piece. It is easier to manage the quantity.

Arrange single layer on a lightly oiled grill/cooling rack on a baking tray.
Bake 40 minutes at 190FF
Remove and toss with your fav BBQ sauce in a bowl.
Return to rack and bake another ~15 minutes, then baste the tops.
Bake another 5~10 minutes.

Watch them at the 55 minute mark because different BBQ sauces will remain gooey, some will caramelise, and some will burn, so ‘name your poison’ as your preference.

American style BBQ sauces have worked better for us than the typical Aussie variants.

Enjoy.

6 Likes

A item regarding buffalo wings I posted under another topic.

4 Likes

A good quality Blue Cheese dipping sauce also goes great with them. We prefer our home made BC Sauce but there are some commercially sold that are decent.

3 Likes

Some may see this as silly or showing off, just let it cool you say. Nah. It is done because you need to stop the reaction quickly before it burns. There is a lot of chemistry going on and parts of it are exothermic (heat producing) so it can run away even if taken off the heat. It also concentrates the fish sauce.

You will see many caramel recipes add water at then start and then boil it off as the heat rises. This is not pointless as it slows down the reactions and allows you to produce a lighter milder caramel useful for desserts. In this case I want a dark caramel and a little bitterness will not go astray so we start with dry sugar. And it’s quicker.

I wanted to keep it simple and not do a treatise on sugar chemistry. Most people don’t want or need to know why. Yes you can burn yourself if you are clumsy but it won’t be life threatening. The spitting will be the boiling fish sauce (100 C) not the caramel which will stay in the pot. Too many shy away from these old methods because they sound hard. Not so, what is going on in the pan is very complex, what is going on in the cook’s head is not. You can’t buy this kind of caramel. My soapbox is sagging.

1 Like

ROAST BEEF STUFFED MEAT BALLS

Was shopping at my Coles last week and I noticed the Deli had cooked roast beef slices . Hunting around the internet awhile ago so I thought I would give a recipe I saw there a go .

INGREDIENTS

• 6 slices of cooked roast beef . I purchased it at the Coles Deli .

• 1 packet of Coles seasoned stuffing mix .Contains Sage , Marjoram , Thyme and Rosemary.

• Beef Stock . I used Campbell’s . You will need 1-2 cups .

• Stick of celery

• Medium sized onion

• 1 carrot

• 2 tablespoons of butter .

PREPARATION

• Finely dice the celery and onion . Grate half of the carrot .

• Put a skillet or fry pan on the stove at a low medium heat and add the butter .

• I use a Crofton 28cm cast Iron ( Aldis) Skillet . When butter melts add celery, onion and carrot.

• Cook till starts to become translucent ( big word ) and add packet of stuffing mix .

• Add a cup of Beef stock and stir it in . You might need 1 1/2 cups .

• Cook till the stuffing absorbs the stock and thickens . Take off stove and set aside to cool .

• Lay the roast beef out on a chopping board .

• Use a spoon to shape the stuffing mix into balls and wrap in roast beef .

• Bit fiddly at start but practice makes perfect . Use a skewer to hold together if need be .

• Place the balls on a baking tray and heat through for about 10 mins in 175c oven .

Cheers

ENJOY

5 Likes

Recipe for making your own stock cubes free of preservatives and msg, and using veggies and herbs you prefer.

•500 g mix veggies
• 1 tablespoon oil

( the veggies could be:
1 zucchini
1 small potato
1/2 onion
2 carrots
1 celery stalk
Any herbs of your choice.)

• After washing the veggies weigh them to know how much salt you need to add, it needs to be 1/3 of the weight to act as a natural preservative.

• Prepare and cut the veggies in small cubes.

• In a frying pan heat the oil and cook the veggies until soft, add the salt and cook for about another 10m.

• Blend the mix in a Blender, return to the frying pan and let all of the liquid dry out.

• Spoon into an ice cube tray and freeze.

• Use as needed.

3 Likes

POTATO AND BACON PATTIES

An easy to prepare tasty recipe .

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Kg of potatoes peeled and cubed . I used Dutch Creaming . Makes about 8 patties

• 6 rashes of bacon finely diced

• 1 medium red onion coarsely chopped up

• 1 egg lightly beaten

• 1 cup dried bread crumbs

• 1/2 Cup of grated tasty cheese

• Olive oil

• Seasoning . I used garam masala and SPG ( Salt , pepper and garlic )

PREPARATION

• Place cubed potatoes in a large sauce pan and bring to the boil .

• Cook for 10 -15 minutes and drain and roughly mash .

• Take a skillet or large fry pan and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil . Bring to medium heat .

• Add the onion and bacon to the skillet and cook till onions soften .

• Add the bacon , onion , cheese and egg to the mashed potato and lightly stir to combine .

• Place bread crumbs on a plate .

• Using a cup fill to 1/2 with potato mix and form patties .

• When that is done coat with bread crumbs by laying in plate and flipping them over .

• Do one at a time .

• When coated add patties to a skillet or fry pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil .

• Cook for 3-5 minutes a side or until golden brown on a medium heat .

• I served them with a dob of mayo on top but each to his/her own .

Cheers

ENJOY

6 Likes

Pasta pizza:

This is one of the many ways leftover pasta can be made into a new, tasty dish.

Ingredients:

• Leftover pasta.

• As much Mozzarella and grated Parmesan as you like.

• Handful of cherry tomatoes.

• Handful of pitted olives.

• 4-5 anchovies fillets.

• 1/2 cup Basil, or any herb you prefer.
Black pepper to taste. (Optional).

• Preparation:

Place in a bowl the cut up pasta, grated cheese, basil, pepper. Mix well.

Transfer into a baking paper lined oven dish and press down to give it a round
shape.

Top with mozzarella, cherry tomatoes,
olives and anchovies, or any topping you prefer.

Cook in a 200C oven for about 10-15 minutes.

Serve hot.

Bon Appetit!

7 Likes

CABBAGE STIR FRY
A tasty dish that can be prepared in a skillet , large saucepan or wok . I used a wok . The important thing with this recipe is not wash the cabbage . Any moisture will cause the cabbage to steam and burn . The idea of this recipe is to brown the cabbage .

To prep the cabbage for dicing remove about three layers of the outer leaves and then cut the base flat at the root end to give you a stable cutting platform .

INGREDIENTS

• 1 small to medium cabbage . Prepare as described above . Remember do not wash it .

• 1 medium red onion .Roughly diced

• Ghee {clarified butter } 2 tablespoons as a frying agent . I used the" Maharajahs Choice" brand

• Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon

• Turmeric powder 1/2 teaspoon

• Curry powder 1 teaspoon.

• Hoyts Italian herb mix or similar .2 heaped teaspoons .

PREPARATION

• Place wok on stove . Medium heat . Add 2 tablespoons of Ghee .

• After about 1 minute add the mustard seeds .

• Now add the diced red onion and stir till it starts to soften

• Add the cabbage .

• Keep it moving by stirring it around the wok .

• Add the turmeric and curry powder . Stir it through the cabbage thoroughly .

• When the cabbage starts to brown add the Hoyts Italian Herb mix .

• You leave the Herb mix till last as it contains garlic which if burns becomes bitter .

• Keep stirring the cabbage until it browns . Takes 5-10 minutes depending on heat .

• Keep stirring until cabbage browns . If needed add more Ghee

• When the cabbage has browned . Take off heat and serve . .

I heated some garlic bread in the microwave . Topped it with the browned cabbage and a dollop of Dijon Mustard .

Cheers

Enjoy

5 Likes

Frittata made with leftover rice.

Found this quick and easy recipe from the internet: an interesting way to transform leftover rice (and also leftover veggies from a stir fry if you wish) into a tasty new dish.

Ingredients:

200g rice

3 eggs

30g Grated Parmesan or any grated cheese you prefer.

100g cooking cheese, any cheese
which melts, cut into small cubes.

Thyme or your fav herb.

Black pepper optional.

Salt to taste.

Add veggies if you wish.

Preparation:

In a large bowl place all the ingredients and mix very well.

Heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan, add rice mixture.

Cook at med-low heat for about 20 m.
or until a golden skin forms underneath.

Place under grill until golden brown on top.

Bon Appetit !

5 Likes

Zucchini and Cheese bake

A tasty recipe that is easy to prepare.

INGREDIENTS

• 3 medium sized zucchinis cut into rounds about 5 mm thick

• 2 medium red onions thinly sliced

• 1 teaspoon of brown sugar

• 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce

• 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee . I used ghee.

• i/4 to 1/2 cup of beef stock . I used Campbells .

• 1 heaped teaspoon of Hoytts Italian herb mix.

• 1 cup of grated cheese . I used Aldi’s Westacre Tasty .

PREPARATION

• Add the onion to a frypan or skillet which has had ghee or butter added give a good stir .

• Cook on medium heat .When onion softens add 2 teaspoons of Worcestershire sauce

• Add a teaspoon of brown sugar and stir well

• Add a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of beef stock .

• Add the Hoytts Italian herb mix last as it contains garlic and will be bitter if burnt .

• When onions start to brown take skillet of fry pan off the heat

• Place chopped Zucchinis in a large mixing bowl .

• Add the cooked Onions to the bowl and stir in well with the zucchinis .

• Take a baking tray . I used a 20cm x 15cm x5cm Wipe inside with olive oil

• Preheat oven to 200c

• Place the zucchini and onion mix in the baking tray and top with cheese .

• Garnish the cheese with some oregano or thyme . I used dry thyme .

• Place in oven and cook for around 20 minutes or until cheese browns at edges.

Cheers

ENJOY

4 Likes

Cabbage - a side dish

Slice a cabbage.

Put LOTS of butter in a pan, add cabbage. The cabbage should be all but swimming in the butter if you have used enough. Add whatever seasoning you like. Salt and pepper are the basics. Cook gently so as not to burn the butter, until tender.

4 Likes