Comfort foods- Recipes that are prepared easily

@Gaby I used a low heat . Add the capsicum towards the end of the cook if need be . I usually roast it till black and place in a bowl with Glad wrap over it and when it cools peel the skin off

4 Likes

Yes, thatā€™s the best way for capsicums,
itā€™s so annoying to have the skin on them!
My grandmother used to make a similar
dish, but sheā€™d cook the potatoes and the capsicums and also the eggplants,
separately, so each had their own best cooking time, and then sautƩ the onion and add some tomato purƩe, and only
then bring the potatoes etc., together for a few minutes of blending all of the flavours, and serving the dish hot.
Your recipe reminded me of that.
I donā€™t have the patience she had, and would rather follow your suggestion of adding the capsicum at a later stage. Thank youšŸ™‚

4 Likes

Thanks for the input Gaby @Gaby . The eggplant sounds like something I might add next time .:smiley:

4 Likes

Bangers , Capsicum and Onion Subs

Tried this recipe out recently . Very tasty . Adapted from a web site recipe I watched.

Ingredients

• 3 Capicums . I used Yellow and Red

• 2 onions

• 1 French loaf of bread . Long enough to make two 20-25cm subs

• 6 sausages . I got low fat thin ones from the butcher

• Cooking oil

• Seasoning to taste

• Cooking salt

• Fresh ground pepper

• Cooking oil

Preparation

• Roughly cut up the 2 onions . Add 1 tablespoon of oil to a skillet and add onions .

• Cook onions on a very low heat to maintain some crispiness in them .

• I used the griller under my wall mounted oven to cook the sausages . Low heat .

• Prep the capsicums . Donā€™t slice them up but lay them on a griddle or similar to get some char
    on them . Use a fry pan if you have not got a griddle grill.

• Keep an eye on the onions and add your seasonings now . I crushed a clove of garlic and

• added it.

• When you sausages are cooked lift them to your chopping board and halve them length ways .

• Add them to the pan with the onions .

• Check your capsicums and if done to your satisfaction cut them into 40mm squares and add

• them to the skillet with the sausages and onions . Increase heat and cook for 5 minutes .

• Add salt and pepper to taste .

• Cut up your French loaf into the lengths you require .

• Spoon the ingredients of the skillet into your sub roll .

• I coated the first roll with some mayo and the second with BBQ sauce

Cheers

ENJOY

3 Likes

Chip Buttie

In my younger years I lived near a hostel for British migrants . I would often go to the local chippie with them and was surprised to see them making sandwiches , or butties as they called them , with the Chips .

Came in late , 2.00 am in the morning from fishing last week and needed a quick snack . Below is my take on the humble "Chip Buttie ".

Ingredients

• Frozen chips . I prefer straight cut but crinkle will do . Purchased at Coles.

• 4 Slices of bread . I used Helgas Wholemeal . Itā€™s what I had available .

• Gherkins .I had a jar of Spring Gully Gherkin Rounds on hand . Coles again . Low salt

• 2 slices of Bega Vintage cheese .

Preparation

• Measure out the amount of chips you will need . I cook them in an Easy Cook cooker . Pre * dates the Air Fryers .

• The chips usually take 15 minutes from frozen in the EasyCook

• Donā€™t over cook the chips . .

• When the chips are nearly done put the slices of cheese on the bread and cover it with the
    Gherkin Rounds to suit . I put them under the griller on the stove until the cheese softens.

• When the chips are done lay them on the sandwich base and put the top slice on and butter it

• You can add some salt and pepper or other seasoning . Your choice

Cheers

ENJOY

4 Likes

My wife and her siblings loved chip sandwiches when they were young and used fresh cooked homenade chips on buttered bread.

When our son was attending uni and living in a sharehouse in Brisbane, when they were short of money, they would buy a couple of loaves of bread and $10 chips and survive to the next day on chip sandwiches.

4 Likes

This is one of our current favourites made with boneless pork hocks and quail eggs.

We specially bought another rice cooker (Kmart $14) especially to cook meat ā€¦ and so that we could do both the pork and rice at the same time.

4 Likes

@phb Just subscribed to that YouTube channel . Great looking recipes .

5 Likes
  • Brussels sprouts Au vin*

Hoping this recipe might help with liking and eating these unpopular veggies.
I didnā€™t like the way my mum would over cook them, and this is the way I cook mine:

Take 12 Brussels, remove the tougher outer leaves (if outer leaves are yellow do not buy them) wash and drain well.
Cut in half or in quarters depending to their size.
Place in a nonstick frying pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, a few garlic cloves, salt and pepper, and enough white wine to cover 1/4 ā€œ of pan. Cover. Cook at med. heat for
10-15 minutes.
If still too liquid, uncover and turn heat on high for a couple of minutes.
I like mine slightly undercooked.
The wine takes away any taste or smell
which might be unpleasant to some.

4 Likes

Or slice them into 1/2s or 1/4s and roast in the oven, after dressing with a little salt and balsamic vinegar, until just nicely done.

4 Likes

Brussel sprouts we split the crown into four, insert some garlic and Parmesan, we steam and then drizzle with balsamic vinegar.

The other half also fries them in a pan with pine nunts/almond pieces, garlic and balsamic and these also are geat.

The secret is not to overcook them (like possibly our parents did).

4 Likes

Meat Loaf

500g mince
2 slices of bread, crust removed, ā€˜mushed upā€™
1/2 diced medium onion
1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 egg
salt & pepper
optional - diced cheese (Colby or cheddar per preference)

combine the above in a baking pan

cover the mixture with ketchup / sauce as if icing on a cake. A spicy sauce (eg Heinz) is best. Straight tomato flavour sauces make a bland main but this can obviously be adjusted with oneā€™s own choice of spices mixed in the sauce.

bake at 180C FF for 45-60 minutes until it is carmelising

goes well with parsley potatoes and peas

5 Likes

I love Brussels sprouts steamed in the microwave in a bowl with a small amount of water for 5 minutes, then drained and butter added.

My wife will only eat them pan fried with chopped bacon.

4 Likes

So they are cut small and cooked 15 minutes on medium heat and that leaves them undercooked? I think we have learned from different cook books.

1 Like

Would you allow me 2 questions, please, @syncretic?

How did the painting job you were involved in recently go?

How do you like your Brussels sprouts
cooked ?
(Assuming you eat them at all) :thinking:

2 Likes

@Gaby, painting and laying new floating floor in two rooms, all done. The usual petty problems of ā€œoh it didnā€™t look like that on the colour patchā€¦ā€ Returning the skirting boards did not go smoothly as the extra height meant it was very hard for the screws to pick up the bottom plate of the frame but I got it done.
And a new one to me, dogā€™s claws on hard timber floor sounds like a regiment of rats line dancing under the floor. Booties are on trial.

I donā€™t eat sprouts very much but I tend to eat all the brassicas underdone, in stir fry about 2-3 minutes. For sprouts cut small and fried (not at stir fry heat) that would be 5-7 minutes in the pan.

Odd that these turn up under comfort food. I would assume, starchy things like pasta or rice or taters for main course and puddings for dessert, not sprouts. Stuff that is easy to cook, easy to eat with a spoon or fork (no bones or rinds) solid and filling, popular with kids. We all take comfort in different things.

2 Likes

My fault for filing Brussels under comfort food recipes, it was just that so many had said they didnā€™t like them in another thread, and I just wanted to give that recipe because the wine takes away any unpalatable taste.
You see, @syncretic, just sitting a little bit in the wine, with the lid on itā€™s a sort of steam cooking, not boiling which would make it mushy.
But, in the end, we must all eat food the way we like it, and be flexible in following any recipe. :slightly_smiling_face:

You sound like a very accomplished painter/handyman, my congratulations :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Another trick I use when cooking Brussel sprouts . If you are boiling them to cook add 1-1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar to the sauce pan you are boiling them in . Greatly reduces any bitterness they may have.

3 Likes

Iā€™d have to confess that Iā€™ve used copious quantities of wine when cooking on many occasions - even as an ingredient sometimes ā€¦ but unpalatable taste? sprouts?

I canā€™t say Iā€™ve ever noticed a bitter taste? Sprouts are surely one of the treasures of the vegetable world? surely ā€¦

What wouldnā€™t I eat if it was pan fried with chopped bacon, I ask myself ā€¦ :wink:

For the record, I love Brussels Sprouts :wink:

4 Likes

Great tip @vax2000,
thatā€™s probably one of the reasons wine helps: it contains sugar in more or less quantity according to the type of wine.

4 Likes