Comfort foods- Recipes that are prepared easily

Good idea on the Ghee Graham must try it . See how you go with that other ingredient and let me know .

2 Likes

Mushroom and Bean Burgers

Ingredients :

• 400g can red kidney beans

• 1 red onion quartered

• 200g of cup mushrooms

• 2 tablespoons of olive oil

• 1 clove of garlic crushed

• 1 tablespoon of garam masala

• 2 tablespoons of wholemeal flower.

• 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint or 1 of dried .

• salt and fresh ground black pepper .

• Hamburger buns , thick sliced toaster loaf or pitas (my choice ) to serve .

• Relish of your choice to drizzle on the burgers .

Preparation :

• Rinse red kidney beans and spread on a clean tea towel to dry .

• Finely chop the mushrooms and onions up

• Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and add onion and mushroom mix . Cook for 5 minutes or so until golden and dry . Medium to high heat works for me . Next stir in the garlic , garam masala and flour . Cook for about a minute. Remove from heat and stir in mint and season well with salt and pepper .

• Dry the kidney beans thoroughly and tip into a deep plate . Get as much moisture out of the beans as you can if not the burgers will be mushy . Mash the beans well with a potato masher then stir in the cooled mushroom mixture .

• Lightly flour your hands and form the mixture into 4 patties

• Add 1 tablespoon of oil to your fry pan and cook the patties for 5 minutes or so over a medium high heat . Flip them once .

• While they are cooking warm your pitas , burger buns etc . I usually put a good dollop of relish on my burgers and some lettuce . Put on your favourite condiments .

ENJOY

2 Likes

Stir-fried Cabbage and Cashew nuts

• Ingredients :

• 2 table spoons sesame oil

• 1/4 cup unsalted cashew nuts

• 2 cloves of garlic , chopped

• 2 cm fresh ginger , grated

• 2 celery sticks , sliced

• 5 spring onions , sliced

• 350 gms white cabbage , shredded

• 350 gms green cabbage , shredded

• soy sauce , to serve

Preparation :

• Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan and fry the cashew nuts for arround 30 seconds ,until they are just beginning to turn brown .

• Add ginger , celery , spring onions and garlic , watch the heat you donā€™t want to burn the garlic . Cook for around 30 secs .

• Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for 3 - 5 minutes . Cook cabbage until softened .

• Serve with a sprinkling of Soy sauce .

• On this one watch the heat when you add the cabbage . You donā€™t want it to wilt . Always be mindful that if you burn the garlic it will be bitter . This is a bare boned version of this recipe . I often add a dash of turmeric or a good 5 spice to liven it up .

Enjoy .

4 Likes

Pasta with Rustic Sauce

Ingredients ;

• 1 tablespoon of olive oil

• 350 g of penne pasta ( I use Vetta brand but would work with others )

• Medium onion roughly chopped

• 1 clove of garlic crushed

• 500 g of pork sausage . Get a meaty course cut type to use . I buy mine at the local Deli

• 410 g can of chopped tomatoes . I use what is on hand . This time Coles own brand .

• 2 tablespoons of chicken stock

• 1 cup of frozen peas

• salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 small bunch of chives to garnish

• grated parmesan to serve

Preparation :

• Heat oil in a large frying pan . Over a medium heat add the garlic and onion and cook for about 4 minutes or until onions soften stirring occasionally

• Coarsely chop the sausages or remove the skins and break up the meat with a fork . Add sausages to the frying pan and stir over high heat for about 5 mins or till browned all over.

• Add chicken stock and tomatoes and season to taste with your salt and pepper . Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 mins . Stir occasionally .

• Add your pasta to boiling water in another pan . After 5-7 minutes add the peas . Follow the cooking time on the brand of pasta pasta you are using . It varies between brands .

• Drain the pasta and peas and toss over the tomato sauce in fry pan . Season if required . Add chives and serve with the parmesan

Enjoy

4 Likes

OK thats on the list !! Including the fact you used the term Deli!

2 Likes

Hush Puppies

My paternal grand mother was born in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States . I was 13 years old when she died . One thing that I always remember about her was her cooking . She often made us kids a traditional Southern States dish called Hush Puppies .

They are a type of donut with capsicum , onions , chilli peppers added . I will put a link to a recipe on the YouTube Channel of Cowboy Kent Rollins as the recipe he uses is simpler than mine .

Just some clarifacation on ingredients . They say add sweet Bell peppers . Read Capsicums for us .

They say yellow cornmeal flower . Read Polenta for us . I buy mine at Coles New world but the other S/Markets should have it .

They say jalepeno peppers . I think that would be chilli peppers for us .

For frying I use Canola oil but any high heat oil would do .

They say fry at 350 F . Thatā€™s roughly 170 C Using a frying probe thermometer if you have one .

I use a 28cm high sided raw cast iron skillet for frying . It is a Smith & Nobel brand and costs around $27.50 form Harris Scarfe . Quality varies so buy in shop rather than online so you can pick a good one .

Enjoy

4 Likes

Blue Cheese Beefburgers

• *1 onion finely chopped

• 2 teaspoons of dijon mustard

• 2 teaspoons of dried thyme

• salt and freshly ground black pepper

• 1 tablespoon of crumbled roquefort or stilton cheese ( Purchased at the local Deli but supermarkets should have it )

• 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

• 4 hamburger buns

• 500 g of minced ground lean beef

Preparation

• Combine beef , onion , thyme , mustard in a bowl and salt and pepper to taste .

• Divide the mixture into eight equal portions . Shape to round then flatten slightly .

• Top four of the rounds with the roquefort or stilton cheese then put the four remaining rounds of beef on top .Press firmly around the edges to seal in the cheese .

• Brush the burgers with some oil and cook in a hot frying pan or under a hot grill ( Broiler to our Yank friends ) I cooked under the grill . Cook for 10 -12 minutes turning once or until golden brown . Serve on the hamburger buns .

I added some sliced tomato and some lettuce .

ENJOY

I was a vegetarian for 18 years . This dish broke the meat drought for me recently. Will be posting more meat based recipes in the future .

3 Likes

LEMON ZUCCHINI

Ingredients :

• 1 tablespoon of olive oil

• 500 g of small zucchinis sliced diagonally

• Grated zest of 1 lemon

• sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preparation :

• Heat oil in a large frying pan . I used a Crofton 28cm cast iron skillet from Aldiā€™s . At $12.75 you canā€™t go wrong.

• Add zucchini and stir frequently until tender .A medium heat works best for me .

• Sprinkle with the lemon zest and season well with the salt and pepper . Serve immediately .

Enjoy

3 Likes

I slice them lengthwise into quarters and once they start to soften a little on the flesh sides I liberally dust them with Cajun seasoning and when finished cooking a little lemon juice to give a bit of acid. A bit of caramelisation of the flesh adds a good flavour.

Zuccs are a great source of Magnesium and help with cramping and similar.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Graham . Will give it a try.

2 Likes

SWEET POTATOES WITH CASHEW NUT TOPPING

Was looking in the vegie compartment of the fridge recently and noticed I had a bag of Coles sweet potatoes . There were 5 left in the bag so I decided to try a recipe that a friends wife had served to me .

She had used 1 cup of brown sugar in her recipe with 2 eggs . I decided on no sugar and I would use White Wings Powdered egg mix .

Ingredients

• 4 or 5 small sweet potatoes peeled

• Cashew nuts , roasted or not roasted . I gave them a bit of a pounding in the mortar and pestle to so they would give a better coverage over the sweet pots.

• Bread crumbs

• Milk to aid in mashing sweet pots.

• Medium size onion , red or normal makes no difference finely diced

• Fresh ground pepper and Sea salt to taste

• Your favorite herbs and spices to add to the topping . I used a dash of oregano and some marjoram . Use what suits your taste .

Preparation .

• Add the sweet potatoes to a large pot and boil till mashing consistency

• Drain them off and add to another bowl and mash them adding milk and some warm water to get a creamy texture . Add 1 tablespoon of powdered egg to help the mixture bind when cooking .

• Pour the sweet pot mix into a large pot , preferably with a lid , for cooking .

• Add your bread crumbs to another bowl along with the diced onion and mix well together .

• Pour the bread crumb mixture over the sweet potato mix .

• Sprinkle your cashews over the top .

• Use your spices and fresh ground pepper and sea salt on the topping to taste . Other vegies could be used as well in the topping . Next time I might add some capsicums .

• Preheat oven to around 150-170 C and place pot in with lid on

• Cook for roughly 35-40 minutes .

• I used a Le Creusset 5 litre stock pot to boil the sweet pots and used a 26cm Raw cast iron Smith and Noble Dutch oven to cook the recipe .

Enjoy

4 Likes

This reminds me of a dish my mother used to make: Frittata di patate (Potato omelette). It was a stiff mashed potatoes, no milk or butter added,
spooned into a frying pan where olive oil was being heated, patted down to evenly fill the size of the pan, salt and pepper added, and when nicely browned around the edges, slid onto a serving dish :yum:

3 Likes

That sounds really tasty @Gaby . Would be good if you could add some recipes to the post . Hopefully I will post some more recipes soon . Please feel free to add any of your recipes to the post as itā€™s that time of the year for comfort foods .

2 Likes

I remember a mid-afternoon snack my mother would make for me in the Autumn:
Boiled fresh chestnuts.
It made a welcome change from the thick slice of bread and jam I had been given most of the summer.
The chestnuts were small, round, and very sweet.
Also easy and quick to make:
Choose small, ā€˜Fatā€™ ones, with a shiny dark brown shell.
Make a very small cut in each one and place in a large saucepan, cover with cold salted water, bring to the boil and then let simmer for at least 30 m.
Take one out to test: if soft and creamy (a bit like a small boiled potato in texture) then itā€™s done, otherwise let it all cook a bit more.
Drain, serve while still warm as itā€™s easier to remove the shell. If a bit over cooked: use a teaspoon to spoon the pulp out and eat it from the shell.

Ah, excuse me while I go shopping for somešŸ™‚

3 Likes

I have never heard of such a thing! I need to source some and try that method after I finally make some Cullen Skink, which is next on my list, for no specific reason ā€¦

3 Likes

Sounds tasty: would you care to share the recipe?:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

A five star rated recipe for Cullen Skink on the BBC Good Food website.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/899633/cullen-skink.

2 Likes

BANGERS AND MASH

A favourite comfort food amongst the English and Irish . This recipe was given to me by a neighbour who migrated from Britain . Was easy to prepare . Had some unexpected guests drop in . Prepared it for them . Must have liked it as 2 of them asked for the recipe .

INGREDIENTS

• 2 kg potatoes (peeled, roughly chopped)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 50 g butter
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 8 beef sausage
  • 70 g butter
  • 4 red onions
  • 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 2 beef stock cube
  • 3 cups water

METHOD of PREPARATION

1. In a saucepan, place the potatoes and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, add salt and simmer until tender.
  2. Drain and leave for a few minutes. Add butter and mash with a potato masher. Gradually add milk until you have a nice creamy consistency.
  3. While the potatoes are simmering you can start to cook the sausages.
  4. In a frying pan, place the sausages and cook on all sides until brown and cooked through. Set aside in a warm place.
  5. In the same frying pan, heat the butter and gently fry the onions until they collapse and are golden brown.
  6. Add the balsamic vinegar and stock cubes.
  7. Stir in 2-3 cups of water. Bring to the boil and simmer to reduce until you have a nice gravy consistency.
  8. Pile the mashed potatoes on the plate with the sausages on top and pour over the onion gravy.
4 Likes

Beautiful recipe @vax2000!
Was just thinking how the southern part of Europe uses bread to mop up sauce in a dish, but in the northern part usually a lovely mashed potatoes serves the purpose of soaking up gravy. Love it!

2 Likes

Bubble and Squeak

A traditional English recipe using the left overs of the Sunday roast . Also called a fry up or nosh up . The recipe I was given is a from scratch version but I imagine Sundays left over vegies and meats could be added in .

INGREDIENTS

• 500g of potatoes . I used baby Charismas from Coles

• 300g of shredded cabbage . I used a Savoy cabbage .

• Butter to help cream the mash potatoes . I used Olive Grove marg instead .

• Salt and Pepper . I used an SPG (Salt, pepper and Garlic mix ) I prepare myself .

• 2 to 3 tablespoons of Canola or Vegetable oil

• Your favourite cheese grated . I added this to original recipe

• 1 tablespoon of mustard . Again an optional ingredient .

• PREPARATION

• Take a saucepan of cold water . Bring to the boil and add peeled potatoes . Cook till soft .

• Add your butter or marg to the potatoes and mash till creamy smooth .

• Bring another saucepan of water to the boil and add the cabbage . Cook well till tender . Then drain .

• Mix the potato and cabbage together along with the mustard . Season lightly .

• Heat oil in a frying pan , I used a Crofton 28cm Cast iron from Aldis , and add the potato mix . Flatten them down into "patties " with the back of a spoon . Cook till brown and flip them over . At this point I use the back of the table spoon to to press down on the pattie to create shallow indentation to allow me to add the cheese either grated or sliced .

• I take the patties out of the skillet and place them under the griller for a couple of minutes to melt the cheese and finish the cook .

Enjoy

5 Likes