CHOICE membership

Comfort foods- Recipes that are prepared easily

easzi-peazi

Good idea on the Ghee Graham must try it . See how you go with that other ingredient and let me know .

Mushroom and Bean Burgers

Ingredients :

400g can red kidney beans

1 red onion quartered

200g of cup mushrooms

2 tablespoons of olive oil

1 clove of garlic crushed

1 tablespoon of garam masala

2 tablespoons of wholemeal flower.

2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint or 1 of dried .

salt and fresh ground black pepper .

Hamburger buns , thick sliced toaster loaf or pitas (my choice ) to serve .

Relish of your choice to drizzle on the burgers .

Preparation :

Rinse red kidney beans and spread on a clean tea towel to dry .

Finely chop the mushrooms and onions up

Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan and add onion and mushroom mix . Cook for 5 minutes or so until golden and dry . Medium to high heat works for me . Next stir in the garlic , garam masala and flour . Cook for about a minute. Remove from heat and stir in mint and season well with salt and pepper .

Dry the kidney beans thoroughly and tip into a deep plate . Get as much moisture out of the beans as you can if not the burgers will be mushy . Mash the beans well with a potato masher then stir in the cooled mushroom mixture .

Lightly flour your hands and form the mixture into 4 patties

Add 1 tablespoon of oil to your fry pan and cook the patties for 5 minutes or so over a medium high heat . Flip them once .

While they are cooking warm your pitas , burger buns etc . I usually put a good dollop of relish on my burgers and some lettuce . Put on your favourite condiments .

ENJOY

Stir-fried Cabbage and Cashew nuts

Ingredients :

2 table spoons sesame oil

1/4 cup unsalted cashew nuts

2 cloves of garlic , chopped

2 cm fresh ginger , grated

2 celery sticks , sliced

5 spring onions , sliced

350 gms white cabbage , shredded

350 gms green cabbage , shredded

soy sauce , to serve

Preparation :

Heat the sesame oil in a large frying pan and fry the cashew nuts for arround 30 seconds ,until they are just beginning to turn brown .

Add ginger , celery , spring onions and garlic , watch the heat you don’t want to burn the garlic . Cook for around 30 secs .

Add shredded cabbage and stir fry for 3 - 5 minutes . Cook cabbage until softened .

Serve with a sprinkling of Soy sauce .

On this one watch the heat when you add the cabbage . You don’t want it to wilt . Always be mindful that if you burn the garlic it will be bitter . This is a bare boned version of this recipe . I often add a dash of turmeric or a good 5 spice to liven it up .

Enjoy .

Pasta with Rustic Sauce

Ingredients ;

1 tablespoon of olive oil

350 g of penne pasta ( I use Vetta brand but would work with others )

Medium onion roughly chopped

1 clove of garlic crushed

500 g of pork sausage . Get a meaty course cut type to use . I buy mine at the local Deli

410 g can of chopped tomatoes . I use what is on hand . This time Coles own brand .

2 tablespoons of chicken stock

1 cup of frozen peas

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 small bunch of chives to garnish

grated parmesan to serve

Preparation :

Heat oil in a large frying pan . Over a medium heat add the garlic and onion and cook for about 4 minutes or until onions soften stirring occasionally

Coarsely chop the sausages or remove the skins and break up the meat with a fork . Add sausages to the frying pan and stir over high heat for about 5 mins or till browned all over.

Add chicken stock and tomatoes and season to taste with your salt and pepper . Bring to a boil and then simmer for about 10 mins . Stir occasionally .

Add your pasta to boiling water in another pan . After 5-7 minutes add the peas . Follow the cooking time on the brand of pasta pasta you are using . It varies between brands .

Drain the pasta and peas and toss over the tomato sauce in fry pan . Season if required . Add chives and serve with the parmesan

Enjoy

OK thats on the list !! Including the fact you used the term Deli!

Hush Puppies

My paternal grand mother was born in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States . I was 13 years old when she died . One thing that I always remember about her was her cooking . She often made us kids a traditional Southern States dish called Hush Puppies .

They are a type of donut with capsicum , onions , chilli peppers added . I will put a link to a recipe on the YouTube Channel of Cowboy Kent Rollins as the recipe he uses is simpler than mine .

Just some clarifacation on ingredients . They say add sweet Bell peppers . Read Capsicums for us .

They say yellow cornmeal flower . Read Polenta for us . I buy mine at Coles New world but the other S/Markets should have it .

They say jalepeno peppers . I think that would be chilli peppers for us .

For frying I use Canola oil but any high heat oil would do .

They say fry at 350 F . That’s roughly 170 C Using a frying probe thermometer if you have one .

I use a 28cm high sided raw cast iron skillet for frying . It is a Smith & Nobel brand and costs around $27.50 form Harris Scarfe . Quality varies so buy in shop rather than online so you can pick a good one .

Enjoy