Coffee bags

Stayed at a motel where coffe was in coffe bags. Really enjoyed it. Robert Tims.
Wondered if there were reviews of this sort of product. Choice only covered the instant powders unfortunately.
Does anyone else use these or other coffeee bags?

1 Like

Not objective per se because our individual tastes are rarely objective. We have used the Robert Timms from time to time and found them much better than instants but more difficult/less reliable to source as well as more expensive per cup, and reference the linked review(s) from ‘a hiker’ regarding the variations.

Do a web search of ‘coffee bag reviews’ and you will find mostly particular product reviews from various organisations such as this one from 'a hiker’, as well as from some (obviously biased) vendor/manufacturer web sites.

2 Likes

Thanks Phil. Done that. got some info but not enough. Read the hiker’s comments. I guess I’ll have to by some and try them. Baulking at getting a machine and I really liked the expresso mix from Robert Tims.

3 Likes

They are available online for under $30 for 72 bags. It is unlikely that a coffee machine would be a better financial proposition in the longer run.

Many hot drinks are a personal choice, so reviews can have little value unless the tasters have the same preference to one’s own. If you like the Robert Timms, reviews aren’t really needed.

3 Likes

We used to take Robert Timms ones with us whenever we went on holiday. They don’t make great coffee, but it was far better than instant, especially the brands of instant provided in motels etc.

At home, we’ve had espresso machines for years, and use a coffee plunger when larger volumes of coffee than the espresso machine can produce quickly are needed.

Like ‘hiker’ and friend, we preferred Robert Timms Espresso over the other RT bags.

That opinion’s about 15 years out of date, though. We haven’t used coffee bags for at least that long. Whenever we’re away from home these days, we’ll be visiting friends or family, who either have good espresso machines or a favourite coffee shop nearby. :slightly_smiling_face:

@grizzlyowl - have you considered using a coffee plunger rather than coffee bags? The coffee will be better (if you buy good beans / pre-ground), and it’ll work out cheaper.

3 Likes

We have used these when away (Japan). Various brands.
One example:

An Aussie example of a similar product.
https://caffebianchi.com.au/product/single-use-disposable-drip-filter-coffee-bag/

More a one use drip filter coffee than the RT dunk in the cup bags. By my taste the both the RT and the drip style kits produce a more satisfying cup than any instant. Not an espresso but a more pleasing cup (less bitter) than the American style drip filtered coffee.

Personal choice I’d choose a cup style plunger coffee as the better option rather than a coffee bag or one use filter kit. Less waste and more control over the coffee flavour/intensity etc.

4 Likes

There is also the option to make your own coffee bags (dunking types). Empty/fillable bags are inexpensive when bought online and one can fill them with their favourite ground coffee. This is an example.

DIY would take some experimenting to get the amount of ground coffee right for one’s own taste. I also suspect commercially made bags might be a mix of instant and ground coffee, like that used in some coffee pods.

3 Likes

They are, or at least the ones we’ve had have been. Both were listed in the ingredients.

3 Likes

I was disappointed by the coffee bags I have tried. Possibly because of expectations after the great wrap some friends gave. But certainly better than cheap motel type instant coffee. I gave up on a machine as the coffee varied so much due to bean quality. But it is great when the beans are. My day to day drink is Coles organic fair trade which either did on near won the Choice guide. I noticed one of Bushels instant coffee’s was top dog recently.

2 Likes

Yes, I use Robert Timms and Vittoria coffee bags…both excellent and I purchase when they are on special as they can be pricey

2 Likes

My local coffee roaster sells these bags and they are delicious.

1 Like

You tried it. You liked it. What else do you need
?

2 Likes

Always looking for improvements

1 Like

I like the Robert Timms ones but prefer the Vittoria so give them a try the next time they are on special

1 Like

Thanks–I’ll look out for them

I have the DIY bags but buy them from Amazon at $16 or so for 100. Yes, more waste, but over a long period, it takes me half a year to get through the 100 (I also still use Moccona classic instant, and tea/teabags) https://www.amazon.com.au/Portable-Hanging-Disposable-Perfect-Camping/dp/B08TBN1FBQ

I also have a kind of pour over dripper. Its the best thing when you only want one cup of coffee. And no, Pod machines are not for me. I do have a couple of one cup drip machines.

Lavazza for me. Not fond of Robert Timms or Vittoria.

3 Likes

I use the Robert Timms coffee bags but only when I’m in a hurry. As other have said, they’re better than instant coffee (eurckh).
However, I used to use the Harris coffee bags and in my opinion they not only worked better than the Robert Timms, but they tasted better as well.

However the Harris bags disappeared off the Woolworths shelves many years ago, and I can’t get them anymore so I’m using the Robert Timms bags as second best.

BB

1 Like

I have 2 types of Robert Timms coffee bags. The espresso is good but the mocha Kenya I don’t like at all.

Also ordered some diy coffee bags for experimentation

1 Like