Cleaning top loader and front loader washing machines

Being a subscriber to their newsletter and user of Bosisto’s products I thought I would post this link . Might be helpful to some forum followers .

https://www.bosistos.com.au/blog/essential-oil/how-clean-your-washing-machine

4 Likes

useful thank you @vax2000 .

1 Like

Thanks, useful, although my Bosch front loader does not mention a filter in the instruction manual. I’ve never cleaned it apart from the trays in 5 years, so it’s well overdue! Despite always leaving the door open, mould always seems to build up around the rubber seal inside the fold though.

1 Like

Thank you so much for this helpful advice!
My Front Loader Washing Machine has never washed so clean, and smells lovely…
No more mould either…
Blessings to you!

1 Like

We have an article on how to clean your washing machine, as well as tips on keeping it in best condition.

2 Likes

@njfking Thank you . Was my pleasure posting it . Glad you found it useful .

Thank you Vax2000 - I have a LG front loader and that greasy gunk has come off on my white sheets. I had to clean the rubber around the door and was amazed at the orange stuff. Yuk. My next machine will be a top loader - as I can clean that thoroughly around the top of the bowl every week. My daughter’s front loader has a filter in the bowl that pops out and easy clean. Front Loader Filter? Where is it? Not that little door right down on the front of the machine that when you open water runs out all over the floor? No surely not. I am able to tie an old stocking over the outlet hose that runs into the tub beside my machine and it quickly fills with lint. I have also bought some wire filters to tie on the outlet hose from the dollar shop and they have been great. Otherwise this stuff goes down the drains. Thank you again for your advice on cleaning.
Marisue

1 Like

@msanderson08 My pleasure Marisue

Hi Marisue,
have you checked your machine’s user manual ? When you mention that “little door”, what’s behind it ?
Our machine has a pull-out hose with a plug in the end, that you use to drain the last bit of water from the machine - I find a shallow takeaway container is good for this task; there should be less than a cupful if your drain hose is correctly set up. Once that water has been drained, you un-do the screw cap alongside, and that has the filter behind it.
If the washing machine’s drain hose is not set up as per the manual, you might find that the machine is not able to pump out as much water as it should. If too much water remains, it is more conducive to mould and gunk build-up.
Regards,
Scott

2 Likes

@msanderson08

As you and @ScottOKeefe have noted LG’s have an access door on the front to allow you to clear out any debris around the pump impeller and it should also have a little tube behind that door that allows you to insert it in a pipe to drain the machine in event of a failure or before you open the pump access.

The LG Front Loaders generally have a Tub Clean cycle (Samsung also has this function and I am sure many others would as well) (the display will normally show tcl when in this mode) which is normally accessed by pressing the two buttons that involve child lock? and the one above it? for about 3 - 5 seconds. LG recommend using the Tub Clean Cycle regularly to improve the results of your normal washing and to extend the life of your washing machine. The Tub Clean overfills the tub and ensures the water gets to all parts of the tub when it runs to get rid of any residues from lint, powder and so on. I should add that no powder/liquid detergent or softener should be added for this cycle but if you want to add Eucky Oil or similar I am sure it will leave a nice smelling machine at the end.

Hope that helps

PS You should also leave the Tub door open/ajar when you have finished washing for the day. It allows the Tub interior to air and inhibits mould growth which prefers moist environments.

1 Like