Clayton's cheesecake

Reference to accc taking business to court. Those comparison sites have been fined previously for misleading consumers. I certainly dont trust compare tbe market due to the pressure they pose when one rings them. So glad i never pursued the products on offer. I may have gone off track in relation to the original story here but as ypu mentioned about misleading advertising. It can be done in many ways to confuse people.

1 Like

Not entirely OT. When a highly intelligent poster like @gregcarman questions himself for taking a product at its face value and not ‘probing’ the small print etc it’s an indication of how how much of a victim the customer is being made to feel.
What a customer/consumer has to watch-out for is increasingly difficult and it’s easy to make judgements, but I believe that it is a moral principle that tricksters and scammers and misleading advertisers are the real culprits and the victims should never be blamed.
A consumer information like Choice can give us the power of knowledge but we often comment about the lack of ‘power’ of the ACCC commission.
In the case of the misleading Moo ad (100% ocean plastic) it has had a win, although the rewording ‘100% ocean bound plastic’ still attracts attention for its oddity IMO.

3 Likes

I have noticed labels on plastic containers stating made with recycled plastics drink bottles or spray bottles purchased eg spray and wipe being a brand. Surely they cannot mislead all of us. It is only what i read

1 Like

No they won’t be misleading. The bottle material is made using recycled plastic.

And could mean anything. In reality any plastic has the potential to be ocean bound if not managed correctly/appropriately. I don’t particularly like the agreed new wording as it gives an impression which may be different to fact.

1 Like

Are you saying i am, not wording it right

1 Like

Just using the words that it is made from “recycled plastic” or even the “made with 100% recycled plastic” does not mean it is necessarily 100% content of recycled plastic. If some of the product was recycled product it can and is claimed that the recycled plastic was used to make the bottle/container and even that 100% claim can be just to mean the recycled plastic is made up of 100% recycled plastic
none of it really means that the container is 100% recycled material with no virgin component. The curses of puffery and clever wording. If it used terms like “made of only recycled plastic” or “made entirely of recycled plastic” would give great certainty to the actual content of recycled material or if they made a claim such as “made from at least 50% recycled material”.

3 Likes

Aww, shucks, spare my blushes! :wink:

2 Likes

ACCC concern was about environmental/sustainability claims, as the
Ocean plastic claim gave the impression they were made from plastic waste collected directly from the ocean when that was not the case

Agree @phb The change to ‘ocean bound plastic’ is really a bit unsatisfactory. As you say if not responsibly disposed of, all plastic and other waste too, would eventually end up in the ocean. Doesn’t make Moo any special :wink:

3 Likes

This is a prime example of what i mean. I totally understand what you mean. Clearly saying 100 percent recyclable

1 Like

Both of those 100% recycled plastic could just mean the recycled plastic in the bottles is 100% recycled, unlikely to mean that, but can depend on any explanation on the bottle. It can be a devious path when terms are used. On the Franklin bottle notice the little star after the 100% claim, means there is some definition of what that actually means.

Another is when they say things like tested for effectiveness or similar
just means it was tested but it doesn’t mean it is effective or similar claim. But most people would interpret that to mean it was effective.

A bit off topic so I will stop here, if you want to know more about the use of puffery there is the topic I linked a post from before, another can be found at CHOICE Callout - Eco and ethical product labelling, or search online about the marketing method of puffery.

3 Likes

Franklin water is 100% recycled plastic bottle only using recycled content. I have checked the other one.

Trying to make an unnecessary single use plastic water bottle greener. The greener option is not to buy any water in single use bottles, but use a refillable bottle.

3 Likes

As I noted the recycled content was unlikely to mean only some recycled component of the bottle. But their website does note that the caps and any plastic labels are not recycled material.

“All our ‘Mount Franklin’ bottles 1L and less are proudly made from 100% recycled plastic (rPET) (excludes caps and labels)” (their bolding not mine)

3 Likes

Sorry to be going against other readers’ opinions, but I would not expect to find cheesecake in the dairy section of the supermarket, but in the frozen desert section.

This is from a travel diary in Estonia. The google translation says that
Muraka Juustukook means: Blackberry Cheesecake
’
As can been seen yoghurt is foremost unlike the MOO tub where cheesecake is the bigger description.

Actually the OP was only shopping for milk when the cheesecake tub caught is eye. I would have been intrigued too and then disappointed by the bland crumbs and yoghurt offering inside.

BTW cheesecakes can also be found in the Bakery and in the Chilled Desserts sections of a store and not only in the Frozen section.

5 Likes

The image seems to fit into the misleading bin, and I can’t see any ‘Serving suggestion’ excuse. And there’s a gap, surely’ between what a cheesecake is and what a pot of yogurt with a bit of crumble on top is. For one thing, when I make a cheesecake the biscuit crumble goes underneath. As in the picture.

1 Like

Perhaps it’s a product with a youngish demographic that sees food differently? In this instance a slightly different packaging and printed label to the one shown in the OP, but very much the same contents. Click on the link and not the screen shot.

‘https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxzVS3CFVN8

Apologies if anyone choosing to follow the link finds the mis-wearing of caps off putting. Leighton Hewitt has been doing it since 

2 Likes

I make a delicious no-bake cheesecake using Philly cream cheese, home made yogurt (so, so easy), maple syrup and lemon juice with some vanilla flavour. Use digestives and butter for the base. So pleased to have discovered a healthier, lower cost and lower sugar result than buying instore (with so many more ingredients that I don’t even know what they are!)