Christmas Pudding or Fruit Mince pies for Yuletide Poll

• Christmas Pudding
  • Fruit Mince pies

0 voters

With Christmas rapidly approaching what is your favourite . The Pudding or the Pie ?

I’m a Pudding fan .

6 Likes

I am too…but with one caveat, only good home made ones. None of the commercially made ones ever stack up to the same level and are a disappointment. My late grandmother’s recipe was one of the world’s best, and done the traditional way…boiled in cloth.

I prefer a plain warm custard to complement the pudding (the skin is something we fight for)…personally don’t like the brandy ones.

6 Likes

I have to agree @phb .My grandmother also added threepences and sixpences for us kids to find .

4 Likes

Awwww… Only allowed one vote.
I enjoy both tremendously. :blush:

5 Likes

I never understood how my Dad always got the slice with the (only) 2 bob in the pudding… but if we got a sixpence we were very, very happy!
Decimal currency stopped the coins being added to the mix: something to do with their composition not being stable enough?? I loved seeing the two cloth covered puddings (one for Christmas, the other for New Year’s Day lunch) hanging from the old copper’s washing stick - for months before Xmas…

3 Likes

Could not vote because I love both, and have neither. Both are seriously awful for my blood sugars.

3 Likes

Voted for only one due to the poll only allowing one choice but the reality is that both get top place in our house. Last year over 15 dozen fruit mince pies made and 15 plum puddings and around 20 boiled fruit cakes. They make excellent presents and are much sought after by our children, friends and rellies.

In prep for this year we already have over 3 litres of fruit mince prepared, plus about 20 kg of dried fruit, there will be more needed and our large freezer will get full quickly but will empty almost as fast as it fills. We buy throughout the year particularly when we see specials. ALDI sultanas are a great buy generally. Currants are generally sourced from Coles or Woolies. Raisins, almonds, pecans, walnuts can be from any of them just whomever has a good price on them. The remaining spices, glacé cherries, suet, flour, sugars, stevia are bought mostly from Coles/Woolies when on special. Rum tends to be our preferred spirit and it is normally spiced rum, though we will use brandy or whiskey as a replacement and is bought again when on special from one of the larger liquor chain stores.

4 Likes

Christmas Pudding with Custard Sauce.

I remember hearing that the threepences were made of silver, and some were kept to be used for the Christmas pudding only?

4 Likes

I love a good Christmas pudding. I used to work in the city and I would get a pudding from David Jones. The price began to escalate and when it hit $100 for a pudding I dug out my grandmother’s recipe that she had from her mother. It took a bit of research on the web to sort out the method and much delving to refine the pudding into the work of art that it is today. I make them as presents but keep one for myself and I have not spent nearly as much on them.

Do I have any tips for those who like to make their own puddings? Yes. Try to source un-oiled raisins for your pudding. The oil is supposed to prevent the raisins from sticking together but it often goes rancid and will spoil the taste of your puddings.

4 Likes

My mum retained her threepences, (though way back our puddings also had sixpences and one or two larger coins) and I inherited those, but sent them to live with an ex-partner when I did not expect to be making puddings. Threepences were traded for 5c pieces.

3 Likes