Choosing the best value energy retailer for feed in tarrifs

Hi
We have been researching the best value feed in tarrif for our solar energy, and are finding that there are many pitfalls in the very fine print, such as having to purchase a new a new meter. We would like to know if others have found it confusing also, and what is the best deal in NSW.
Edwina, Sydney

5 Likes

I’m sure you’re not alone in your confusion @edwinab, these things are notoriously difficult to navigate. CHOICE is doing some work in this area, but in the meantime I’ll tag our @Energy-Campaigner group in case anyone can help out with a recommendation.

4 Likes

It’s not clear to my how an energy retailer can get away with telling their customer that a unit of energy is worth one value if they are buying it, but another if they are selling it? I know its a market (in most places anyway), but isn’t that the point? At some point in time the viability of energy storage will send ‘big energy’ to the same place film processing companies went … surely? hopefully? :slight_smile:
Where I live, the power company credits my generated power at the same price I buy their power - it’s hard to imagine solar being viable in some places - yet my 5kw system has a break even of a fraction over 2 years given the current pricing …

3 Likes

For looking at different rates, the NSW Government has a energy comparison tool, like many other state governments. It is located here…Your Energy NSW Government Website.

I am not based in NSW, but has the NSW government introduced a policy to have older meters replaced when customer’s churn to another provider…such as to smart meters? If this is the case, it may be difficult to avoid meter replacement. It may be worth contacting the NSW Planning and Environment, Resources and Energy to see that the policy is on this one.

5 Likes

I think part of the problem for Energy resellers and their use of Solar power or any domestic renewable resource from domestic suppliers (households) is the lack of control over that supply unless they buy into the provision of that supply chain eg Origins Solar Panel scheme.

When they put the panels in place and get a contract they somewhat tie that household to their requirements until at least the panels are paid for. This gives them some control over the FIT they pay. The panel supply almost always comes with the connection to the grid rather than an off grid solution even where a battery (or more than one) is installed. Then there is usually an extra payment by the household for the privilege of that solar feed in even if it is just an increased cost, beyond what a non producing household can get, of external supply when the household has needs over the amount they generate.

If a household can supply more than their needs but chooses to not add it to the external grid, that household is in control and the power reseller is at their mercy. So I think that for the security of their profits most resellers are not in favour of off grid solutions. As Governments benefit from the selling of power by these resellers and most likely their political donations they are also unlikely to promote off grid or even the reasonable payment of a FIT that actually reflects the real benefit of the household supply to the grid.

2 Likes