Choice Magazine Option to Opt Out of Post Delivery

Would it be possible to add a choice for Choice members to opt out of having the physical magazines posted and just have the ability to download the online copies only? This could be an attractive option for some members and it could save Choice and the environment a little extra load.
Perhaps the option to have physical delivery enabled or disabled could be done online with a toggle option within our membership details, or even a phone call to Choice.
After speaking with a Choice representative, I learned there is no option to facilitate an online-only choice without multiple subscriptions, which would actually cost me more to achieve.

8 Likes

This already exists. I have only had online access for several years. You get access to all the general articles and the product reviews, it is not formatted as a printable magazine but as web pages. [edit] Apparently it can now be downloaded as a PDF but as I don’t want hard copy I never bother.

13 Likes

Hi @syncretic,
Yes, I understand that there is the option to download the magazines, too. What I want is to only download the magazines, without having the printed copies delivered; however, this option ends up costing me more the way I requested my membership (2 years subscription with Choice & Computer magazines). Thank you for your feedback.

3 Likes

I suspect you mean like a pdf. As Choice relies on subscriptions/membership it is unlikely they would support a downloadable magazine…as these can easily be shared potentially reducing Choice’s revenue to do the great things they currently do with their limited budget.

Notwithstanding this, there may be opportunity to have a online magazine option behind a paywall, similar to some news sites. This may work but will have limitations…such as one having to be connected to see it and not as readable as a printed copy. If Choice gets enough requests, maybe they might look into it further.

4 Likes

Here it is.

6 Likes

What do you know…learn something new every day…have never explored that part of the website…

I wonder if you have to subscribe to the magazine(s) and also Choice online to get the downloadable magazine option?

4 Likes

That would seem the case from

which is the problem posed.

3 Likes

Well I have the magazine subscription (yearly), and also subscribe to Choice online (quarterly), but I don’t get the download option. Something more required?

2 Likes

3 Likes

That is also what I see…

2 Likes

I chose online access only, so I don’t get a magazine in any format.

4 Likes

Have you tried it from your account settings?

1 Like

Likewise…and just saw it for the first time.

2 Likes

Me? Its not in my settings. ONline only doesnt get you a magazine.

2 Likes

What I see is the first four options under Account details. There are no download options.
I am feeling that I would like an answer from Choice subscriptions here.

2 Likes

This is weird. I have “Online access Website access only” but I can download the magazine.

1 Like

@BrendanMays, Choice might best clarify what the various subscription models should provide ( a table would be easiest for members to digest ) and the web folks check that is how it is actually working.

5 Likes

Quite happy to have the option to stop posted hardcopys but still pay the same rate (consider it an on going donation)! This would save postage and printing costs.

Is this option available online?

4 Likes

I think I could possibly be very annoyed if I could have been getting the pdf mag all these years… I went from the paper mag and no online, to online only, in 2012. I would drop in and out of subscription since then but for the past couple of years I have remained subbed. Still no mag. I’ve inspected my profile and settings up and down and its not there :frowning:

2 Likes

Welcome @silvester. As you can see there are others looking at this issue. It appears that some subscribers do indeed have the Choice magazines available online, but others do not.
Why this is, so far, is not explained.

2 Likes