Choice Magazine hard copy member

I have issues with finding the relevant articles on such as a step ladder. There is no mention of the version online and the index was put together in a rather haphazard manner. So now I wish to get a new ladder and some advice I am stuck so flick back through 15 years of mags does not help.

What can I do? I am annoyed by the Choice attitude to assisting members…

3 Likes

Hi @Spot1, welcome to the forum.

Choice online has articles/buying guides which can be read without being an online member, such as this one on ladders…

Looking online, it doesn’t appear that Choice has done a speciifc test on individual ladder models available for sale at retailers such as hardware stores. This is either in the magazine or online.

There are many products which I expect that Choice would like to test each product on the market regularly, but due to its limited budget, it has to set priorities for the range of products it tests.

Maybe when Choice staff read your post, they may consider testing individual ladders available for sale in a future addition of the Choice magazine.

6 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

The hardcopies have indexes of tests from the past 12 months. Most products change often enough so the products tested are sometimes already off the market by the time the copy gets into print and into subscribers hands, so publishing an index that goes further back would be of questionable value as well as be quite long.

Even products such as ladders can be prone to change re what is on the market and availability at particular shops, so the buyer guide that Choice publishes seems a reasonable approach.

BTW, anytime one has a problem related to reviews, information or your consumer rights, regardless of your subscription type, you can always contact Choice directly by phone or email, or as you have done ask on the .community.

Choice member helpline - phone 02 9577 3399
ausconsumer@choice.com.au
community@choice.com.au

3 Likes

@Spot1 Sorry that you’ve found it hard to find info on ladders. You’ll have to go back to May 2008 for the last review of stepladders. I doubt any of those models are still around!

As @phb said, you can always browse the website to see the free buying guides and see whether there are any new reviews of a product, which should help you find the review in the magazine. Not all online content gets into the magazine for reasons of space, though most product reviews do.

Unfortunately we have to be pretty cost-conscious these days and there has to be a good business case for any product test. The test has to address a consumer need - for example, the importance of value for money on a major appliance like a fridge, or a safety concern such as with cots and strollers, or simply a strong demand from CHOICE members. Likewise the test has to be cost-effective, i.e. not too difficult or expensive to undertake.

On those grounds there isn’t a strong case for CHOICE to test ladders. Basic domestic ladders aren’t terribly expensive; most manufacturers aim to comply with the Australian standard AS/NZS 1892; there’s no particular evidence of a systemic problem in the ladder market, though there have been a few recalls over the years, as with many products. (The main safety hazard with ladders is people’s unsafe use of them rather the ladders themselves.) And finally we don’t get a lot of demand for ladder reviews. But your interest in a ladder review is noted!

5 Likes

One other consideration for anyone concerned about the ladders they might be purchasing. ( 2 steps through to tall extension ladders)

Ladders in the market are intended as light duty occasional use, or heavier duty trade/professional use.

The ladders sold for trade use tend to have greater load ratings and a more robust design to suit every day use. They also cost more. Some of us may feel more secure on a heavier duty design ladder.

There are also robust fibre composite ladders intended for professional electrical work. These are robust but light in weight, and cost even more.

3 Likes

Some of us need(ed) the weight rating of the professional ladders :wink: Not any more, but I understand the problem from times past …

5 Likes

When Masters opened in Cairns, I made the mistake of buying a Werner Dual Purpose Extension Ladder which was unbelievably heavy, and we sold it and replaced it with an Australian made Bailey ladder of the same height specifications and load rating…

I feel a lot safer and less stressed on the Bailey ladder.

2 Likes