Chicken Nuggets

I would not eat them, even if they paid me: Are Chicken Nuggets Really Chicken?. :face_vomiting:

4 Likes

Don’t insult the Big Mac. It is actually very tasty. I can enjoy one provided it is not too frequent, because you can get bored with the taste if you have one regularly.

1 Like

The McDonald’s nuggets are real chicken. They have repeatedly answered the myth that their nuggets are not made of chicken. If you check their ingredients they are mainly chicken and not much else. You would need to check on the salt content.

1 Like

The claim McDonald’s makes is the chicken used in the nuggets is 100% breast chicken. Not the nuggets are 100% chicken. Only 45% of a McDonald’s nugget is processed breast meat of a chicken. Other ingredients are:

Ingredients: White Boneless Chicken, Water, Vegetable Oil (canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil), Enriched Flour (bleached Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Bleached Wheat Flour, Yellow Corn Flour, Vegetable Starch (modified Corn, Wheat, Rice, Pea, 

4 Likes

The presence of non muscle meat in some nuggets will give have some people saying “oh yuck” but the fact is many of us enjoy that tissue in the right situation.

Charcuterie has plenty of delicacies that are not all muscle tissue (or any), haute cuisine features offal and few will turn down pork crackling. Perhaps nuggets are like laws or sausages - you really ought not know what goes into the making of them.

OTOH the high proportion of salt and fat makes this food quite unsuitable for regular consumption but sadly many children are given such fare often. Yet another confirmation that for some people content lists on the packet are a waste of ink.

If you want food to be convenient, cheap and healthy you can have any two but not all three, except if you can cook and will take the time, but for many that is not convenient enough.

4 Likes

Yes, this is a standard ruse, used by many: “made from 100% whatever” is intended to make people think the item itself is 100% whatever.

3 Likes

OK. I’ll accept that 55% are not chicken. However, you could say the same about almost any restaurant or even home made meal. The things listed in the 55% do not really seem dangerous but rather for taste and texture. 45% real chicken seems better to me than a lot of other products that claim to be beef, lamb, pork, fish etc where the listed main product is often little more than a taste or flavour.

1 Like

Do you have any examples of this, of processed protein foods (not whole meals with veges and starches) that have very little protein?

1 Like

You mean chicken waste!

1 Like

Is the not convenient enough a consequence of the time it takes to prepare and cook or is it in the time spent learning, planning and at the supermarket gathering the ingredients?

Diced fresh chicken pieces on skewers with spring onion, zucchini etc done under the grill - with any number of choices of a glaze or sauce might not stretch too many for skill and time? Brown rice (microwave if one must) on the side might take a little longer, but likely the first item to put on.

Admittedly the nugget remains a common party and cheap conference snack.

1 Like

Using terms like 100% breast chicken or the nuggets contain ‘real chicken’ are pure marketing terms and have no relationship to the nutritional value or healthiness of the nuggets.

While the nuggets contain 45% chicken, the nuggets are an ultra processed food. The 45% isn’t overly relevant. It isn’t overly relevant as 10% could be a better product nutritionally than a 70% product.

Marketing terms are often used to make a product seem better or healthier than it is. Here are some equally deceptive claims I made up, but are true:

• soft drink made with 100% real filtered stream water. Contains 90% real water.
  • ham made with 100% real organic, free range pork. Contains 92% real pork.
  • Chocolate pop cereal made with 100% real whole rice. Contains 64% real whole rice.

Like McDonald’s nuggets, none of these products are healthy and are ultra processed foods. Nuggets are even worse than their ingredients list, as they are also fried in oil. Reading marketing spin like the above makes them seem to be healthier than they are. It is deceptive and used to encourage sales of unhealthy products.

4 Likes

Assuming the label is truthful and the only chicken meat in these particular nuggets is breast what part is waste?

2 Likes

I use them as bait but the fish don’t like them much. They do have standards you know.

3 Likes

:joy::joy:
Have you tried fish fingers? Not everyone likes chicken.

1 Like

I love chicken,but never eat Chicken nuggets

4 Likes

I have had good results Bream fishing with chicken nuggets . Murray Cod seem to be cheese connoisseurs and like the odd bit of tasty cheese .

6 Likes

Isn’t the advertising misleading?
Chicken?
Which part?

1 Like

In order of your questions.

No.
Yes.
Chicken whitemeat.

1 Like

yes, the grandkids like the chicken nuggets. I get them frozen from the supermarkets. I normally air-fried the nuggets in my air fryer.

3 Likes

Welcome @tess

Is there a particular brand that you prefer or find best?

1 Like