Ceramic coated & non-stick cookware

From the article, it appears not old Teflon, but a teflon coated pan, pot or tray that has had a significant overheating event in its life. Overheating which causes disintegration of the Teflon occurs at 360 degrees Celsius. For context: a Teflon-coated pan can reach 750 F (399 C) if left for eight minutes at high heat on a stovetop. If one has looked after their pans and they have never overheated, then old non-stick cookware should still be safe to use.

2 Likes

The Anolon Advanced frypan we bought around 20 yeras ago which has been used on gas cooktops more than 1,000 times.

It has never been overheated and is only washed using a Dishmatic sponge.

As I have previously posted undre another topic, a quality product properly looked after.

Hi, are there any reviews on the different ceramic cookware on the market?
There’s a lot of claims that these are the healthiest cookware to use these days.
Health food stores are selling them.
Thanks

Hi @agats, welcome to the community.

Health food stores are notorious for selling products which make claims that are often dubious…because a health food shop sells them, doesn’t mean they are the healthiest cookware.

If you do a Internet search of ceramic cookware health risks, it appears they are not without risks.

Possibly the healthiest cookware would be cast iron, aluminium or steel…or any pots and pans available for sale in Australia. Do you think cookware which is ‘unhealthy’ would be allowed to be sold?

For cooking, irrespective of the type of cookware used, it is what is being cooked which will impact on the healthiness of the cooked foods. Claiming cookware produces healthier foods is a falacy and marketing spin (if not misleading).

Hi @agats ,

There have been a few comments on ceramic coated cookware so I merged your query. FWIW I have had ceramic coated cookware I returned because it was most unimpressive. Fads are what they are and the market is crowded so manufacturers look for something to catch the customers’ eye.

I did not find a credible test of ceramic coated cookware but there are many from those who sell or support selling them.

I purchased a average cheaper non stick fry pan which has already been Scratches on the surface but i am not overly concerned because i didn’t spend much on it for the reason mentioned. The label quite clearly stated hamd wash recommend and ot says to let the pan cool off before putting under the water. Some cookware brands, are pretty poorly made. Im pretty careful about brands unless coat is irrelevant or quality. Stainless steel pots have gone up in price.

Thank you @phb and @PhilT for your replies.
I was hoping that Choice had done the research on ceramic cookware, so that I wouldn’t have to!
I will do further research on their health risks.
My understanding is if the ceramic coating gets damaged to reveal the metal alloy beneath, that’s when there is a health risk.

As to whether I think cookware which is ‘unhealthy’ would be allowed to be sold?
Yes!.. Teflon was sold for many years only to be found to be very toxic to the human body. I’ve read that you cannot detox the Teflon out of your body contributing to heavy metal toxicity triggering related health issues. I believe there’s a documentary movie about the law suit against the manufacturers, and hence why you now see cookware without PFOA.

From my understanding, it’s the leaching of the metals and their chemical coatings that contributes to toxicity in the body. Some also claiming the metals react with the acidity levels in foods. Where as ceramics which are largely made of silica, an ingredient that has a higher affinity to the human body.

Thank you both again for your time.

The underlying metal won’t be a health risk, unless the manufacturer of the ceramic cookware has decided to use metals not approved or suitable for use for food preparation. If this is the case, I would be avoiding any ceramic cookware. Health issues can arise if the ceramic coating breaks away from the underlying base. These pieces can be very sharp and cause damage to one’s digestive system as it passes.

I suggest that you read scientific articles from reliable sources. There are many internet myths being perpetuated with those who sell a particular product, to try and make their product better than their competitors. There are also pseudoscience blogs which purport opinions, which aren’t based on science. An example is aluminium cookware. There are numerous blogs which report that there is an association between Alzheimer’s and aluminium cookware. This has been debunked by medical and scientific experts, but the myth continues.

Likewise with microwaves, there are pseudoscience theories on microwave ovens, These have also been debunked and scientists/expert food nutrition have proven that microwave ovens can cook food which are higher in nutrients and vitamins…as other forms of cooking can result in leaching of these nutrients or denaturing during the cooking process. Again, one has to read reliable scientific information rather than relying on the unproven opinions of others.

That can be the case for some highly acidic foods, but foods naturally also have many of these metal irons, such as copper, aluminium, iron etc. Again, there is misuse of information about metals in cooked foods…with those stating their opinions overstating the ‘risks’ and ignoring the presence of these metals naturally in foods.

There are also scientific papers about release of metals from some cookware, such as stainless steel. These are used by bloggers as proof that metal cookware is unsafe. When one reads such papers (such as the example I have given), often the release of metals occurs in extreme conditions (such as being for extended duration not often used a home kitchen) or may qualify the risks (such as the metals oxidise after several uses preventing any further release of metal ions).

This is why reading reliable, scientific information is critical to form one’s own views.

There are stories around the web that certain ceramics used in cookware are toxic due to the use of heavy metals in the glaze such as lead or cadmium.

If you believe everything you read it will make no sense at all as the rumours are contradictory.

The best way out of this dilemma is to use wooden or leather bowls and drop heated stones into them. You can also do this if there is a convenient bowl-shaped rock near your fire. It’s all natural, our distant ancestors did it before they learned ceramics and metalwork.

2 Likes

Another rumour?
There are those who advocate a totally natural and raw diet. Raw carrots, raw lettuce, raw fish, raw oysters, raw garlic, etc. I think the fruit and Veg are optional.

The last foodie trend of raw garlic is supposedly the most powerful, having many valued benefits. It supposedly also works great when one needs to keep 1.5m distant from those who are not raw garlic friends.

It resolves the cooking issue and reduces GHG. Being fresh and obviously local supply in season one can also turn the fridge off. Only buy what is fresh and required for the day. It also reduces carbon miles.

If there is a small surplus, air drying or my favourite heavy salting can be highly effective preservation techniques.

Handy hints welcome on what type of plate, cutting boards and cutting utensils to use to keep safe. Eating with ones fingers is optional to reduce the risk of cutlery contaminating the meal further.

A serious side to all this is there are several billion of us who do not have refrigeration at home. Many don’t even have electricity. Cooking utensils pots and pans are what ever can be found or had locally.

P.S.
Ceramics, earthen ware and just about every type of raw material on earth can contain toxic substances and heavy metals. Rather than split hairs over which modern products might be ‘safer’’. All modern cookware products are produced and intended to be safe for household use. Some individual manufacturers/importers may fail standards, but that does not condemn all of the same.

Apologies in advance to any consumers who have chosen to drive a Volvo. It’s not just about the product. It’s also about how it is used that makes it safer.

1 Like

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: 5G claims re cancer, dangers

I really appreciate what you wrote @phb … thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Microwave review