Censored words ! :-)

knob.
hmmm … when I type knob I just get 4 black boxes.

3 Likes

Knob is a censored word? I just tried to describe my dishwasher that does not have buttons, but instead has a knob. Anyway, when I tried to post this topic initially the answer came through:

So if I type knob it replaces with black boxes, and while another 4 letter word beginning with the third letter of the English alphabet also gets replaced by boxes (fair enough), three more that start with the fourth, sixth and nineteenth letters respectively seem to get through unmolested.

Made me chuckle. I used the word ‘dial’ instead of the k word. :laughing:

1 Like

I have had the same experience with the word k****. I had in the past substituted a 0 (zero) for a ‘o’, but still got the same black boxes…see…kn0b.

It must be a US censorship program.

The other funny thing is one can type other words for knob, including its real name or Auatralian colloquialisms and it isn’t censored in the same way. Likewise for other parts of the human anatomy.

1 Like

I’ve removed ‘knob’ from the censored words list. Thanks for reporting it @draughtrider

3 Likes

You think YOU’VE got troubles! I knew a young teacher who was suspended from his job, without explanation for using the word “donger” in it’s normal sense as a means of ringing a bell. Some stupid parents took it to mean a penis and made a complaint. The poor guy was never told what he had done wrong, who complained nor did he have any chance to defend himself. Bureaucracy gone mad!

3 Likes

where I am donga (sounds the same) means a small temporary house, like an atco hut …

2 Likes

My brother was in the military and always referred to the room he slept in as the " donga " .

Noun. donga (plural dongas) (Australia) A transportable building with single rooms, often used on remote work sites or as tourist accommodation

2 Likes

I may be seeing this a bit late, but the comment about US censorship reminded me that a while back, while I was posting on an American board, I wondered what was happening when I kept being returned to the home page each time I tried to type ‘torpedo’. Seems they had the system set to reject ‘pedo’. I opted for a long worded description of what a torpedo was to get around it.

3 Likes

Another slang expression used around the military is " dobie "/

Correct usage :scream_cat: would be ." I’m just going to hit the donga ( room ) and have a quick dobie as I stink like sh. . ." Dobie means wash . Laundry powder is dobie powder . Instant dobie is deodorant .

2 Likes

To understand more about how this may happen and to have a laugh google “Scunthorpe problem”.

3 Likes

Thanks for that @syncretic. Among the hits I found this one the most entertaining.

3 Likes

Some funny ones here - Place names considered unusual - Wikipedia

Do they really have that much fun in Austria ? Apparently the only crime they have is theft of the town sign …