Cast-iron casserole dishes: cheap vs expensive brands

In your opinion when comparing prices i have no idea how aldi can charge such a low price and well known brands are several hundreds. I guess it is silly asking because the expensive ones are charging more because they can or costs more to make

2 Likes

They are charging more because they have a “name”, those names are usually synonymous with quality. However, cast iron is a well known product insofar as what it takes to manufacture it. Enamelling is quite the same in regards to what it takes to produce products, China has done it for centuries. Cheaper brands or no name brands may or may not have been made with the same quality control as the named quality ones, it is the risk a purchaser bears. If the reputation of a quality brand appears to be about to be tarnished, I am sure to protect the name and associated income stream that positive outcomes for the complainant are more often the result. A cheaply may just be refunded no fuss eg Aldi’s return policy or it may just be ignored.

We use some of the Aldi cheaper cast iron wear (enamelled and raw) and have had no problems over a few years. The raw ones have seasoned well and retained a good seasoning. The enamelled ones have some faint staining in some, others are fairly pristine. In all cases cleaning has not been an arduous task, soak the enamelled ones if something has decided to become burnt on and after that soak, a sponge or cloth is all that is needed. Seasoned ones require little more than a wipe out with paper or cloth towels.

In 25 years the result may be much different in regards to how they compare, in 25 years I would just buy another Aldi one based on our current experience and bear the small cost compared to a more notable brand.

8 Likes

A good mid ranged priced brand is Victoria . I picked up one of their 33cm open chef’s pans for $71 . If I had purchased the French Brand Staub , which are excellent , I would be looking at $600 plus .

5 Likes

For those who have come across a long forgotten, or well loved bare cast iron pot, fry pan etc well rusted, is it a lucky find worth cooking with, or one more ornament for the cottage garden?

I’m familiar with using vinegar to lift light rusting or steel wool and soapy water to scrub back to fresh grey metal. The first is also very useful when restoring older tools. There are many useful tips on caring for CI cookware in the prior discussion. Someone else has put into words and pics better than I could what is and isn’t possible.

2 Likes