Cast-iron casserole dishes: cheap vs expensive brands

Been Considering, very seriously. I’ll need to find out about seasoning if I do get one. Do they make anything else apart from frypans and woks? They currently have a Kickstarter going for a pan.

Just did a search on the Smith and Nobel casseroles, I just don’t feel comfortable about buying one (they look just like any others) without being able to see and hold, in person. There is one they call lightweight, but I’m in Newcastle, and the nearest Harris Scarfe shop is south of Wollongong.

3 Likes

They make a Dutch Oven set and pots, the Dutch oven comes as a set with skillets. We don’t have those but the entire range is on their website and it is also an on-line store. We got our Wok on a store sale near us some time ago.

Seasoning they explain how to do, you need to do it both on the stove top and the oven to get the best seasoning out of them.

5 Likes

Just missed out on the kickstarter for the 21cm pan… I hesitated too long.

1 Like

Hi Sue @SueW . I recently sold a set of three Solidteknics Aus ion Skillets . A 22cm , 26 cm and a 30 cm . A chef friend of mine purchased them from me . They are lighter because they are forged in one piece but not that much lighter than cast or forged iron . They season very easily . Just follow the instructions supplied with them . They are pre seasoned in any case .

If I were you I would look at their Stainless Steel Noni series skillets . Forged in one piece and much lighter than the ones I owned . Hope this helps .

4 Likes

You didn’t get the XHD or the Bigga ones did you? They are much heavier than the normal range as they use 4mm thick iron instead on them. I think their Pro sets are heavier too but not sure about them.

3 Likes

I really like using this skillet @SueW . Follow this link

It is light weight and very reasonably priced .

3 Likes

I had them for a few years @grahroll Graham and was not getting the use out of them . Not sure the series but were forged . I have an old set of cast iron skillets my mother gave me yonks ago . They are Gabriel Gate Cookware brand . 16 cm . 20cm and and 26cm skillets and they get used daily . If need anything bigger I have an Aldi Crofton 28cm that has served me well and at $12.95 can’t complain .

I do like the Harris Scarfe light weight skillet though . I only wish it did not have the ceramic lining .

3 Likes

Your friend probably got you the XHD ones as most chefs like them for their hard work durability and they take professional abuse better :slightly_smiling_face: eg left on the high heat for too long empty. They, the XHD series, are heavy when we tried them in the store, the Wok while heavier than a normal high carbon steel heats really nicely for us on the gas with even heat distribution so we don’t mind that little extra weight. Our’s didn’t come pre-seasoned but it did have the beeswax on it which we used in the seasoning process. @SueW might be able to find one in a store near her to try one for weight to see if they suit her. The website does allow searching for stores that stock them that might be nearby. Our store that has them is only a few kms away so no big trip needed. I do however these days gravitate towards the ALDI Crofton ones when they have them on sale and if we need them for presents etc. Not too many any longer needed at our house as we have enough to suit us now.

3 Likes

Thats the info I needed, thank you! And thanks for your later post with the link which I’ll look at in a moment. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Graham the Solidteknics were certainly great to cook with . Great Australian product . Unfortunately they were not getting that much use . When my Chef friend made an offer on them I let them go . He was rapt in them . Maybe down the road a bit I might pick up another 30cm Solidteknics Aus ion . For the moment the Gabriel Gate’s and the Aldi and Harris Scarfe Skillets are filling the bill so to speak .

4 Likes

I saw enamel cast iron cook ware today at aldi come with a 5 year warranty. They looked solid to me. The prices were much cheaper than Well known brands. I was looking at one but never purchased one unless i go back.

2 Likes

We have two of the Aldi enamel casseroles two years old, and one that is a big name. Given due care the Aldi have been just as durable for a fraction of the cost.

In this instance the assumption is the product comes direct to the consumer with only Aldi in between. For other big international brands there may be two or more skimming profits off along the way. And then there may also be a franchise at the retail end with expensive rentals in a large shopping centre needing to cover costs and make a profit?

3 Likes

I have a chassuer one it doesn’t seem any better than the aldi one i saw. I don’t remember my expensive one having a long warranty. Previously my family had a le cruset it dropped and cracked tbey afe very expensive price wise now. Anyway price maybe doesn’t matter. Im not sure what choice thinks about the aldi one or any other brand. I know they mentioned differences in branding.

3 Likes

Choice and the Community have ‘published’, some of these links previously posted in this topic.

[member content]

and

4 Likes

While visually cheap and expensive ones can look similiar, there can be significant difference in the quality and durability of the enamel finish.

Quality and durability of the finish will only be discovered after many uses. We have found this out from our cheap Kmart dishes, that they lose their colour and coatings over time. This is something we have accepted as a compromise to being about 1/10 cost of expensive brands, where with more expensive brands there are reports the same issues don’t exist to the same extent.

5 Likes

The quality of finish and the fit of the lids on the Chasseur and Le Creuset Dutch ovens from France are much better than the offerings I have seen coming out of China . Also after ten years of use the enamel on the French products I own are as new . On the Chinese Dutch ovens it has worn thin in places . The cast iron under the finish can clearly be seen .

The French product ,in my opinion, are certainly worth the extra money for long term use .

4 Likes

Thanks for all your discussion points around dutch ovens/casserole dishes! Some great advice in here.

We are again updating our content around Cheap vs expensive dutch ovens ahead of Aldi’s Special Buy sale on cast-iron cookware in a few weeks, and we’d love to hear from you again on this topic.

We would love to hear from anyone else who has specifically bought the Aldi cast-iron pot in recent years, or if you are planning to buy any cast-iron items in the upcoming sale and why.

1. When did you buy the Aldi cast-iron cookware?
  2. How often do you use it and what condition is it currently in?
  3. Do you also own any premium cast-iron pots such as Le Creuset, Chasseur or Staub? How do you find the Aldi pot compares?
  4. Are you satisfied with this Aldi purchase?
4 Likes

I have a chasseur. But not an aldi. Cannot compare but sometimes price does make a difference i also have a lodge cast iron it is very good quality i have only seen the ones in store at aldi walked past them. Not to sure how they would go if i see them next time ill look at quality check out

1 Like

I saw some today at aldi a rectangular and round low level casserole with a lid. I had a quick look at the rectangular one as another person had already opened it. I noticed it had 5 year warranty i don’t know if you remember seeing warranty terms on your one you purchased. I have a chasseur which is very good and the aldi ones look quite good and only for a, few cents under 20 dollars. It seems a few members including yourself has purchased. Would be interesting to see difference in quality. If used over time

2 Likes

After at least three years (possibly longer), there is no noticible difference in how they are wearing.

6 Likes