Car insurance review

Marketing, the Australia tax and the lazy tax may all be in play. As mentioned in a few topics it is often best to buy a new policy every year rather than take up the ‘loyalty’ renewal, even if with the same company.

Last year AAMI were the sharpest quote and included roadside cover as a no cost sweetener for $590.

Just received the renewal for $710 including a $15 ‘discount’. The renewal includes an additional $2K in market value so a bit of change might be expected from that, and an extension of the ‘free’ roadside assistance package.

Proceeded to get an online quote for the exact same policy from AAMI but without the ‘free’ roadside cover. It came in at $520.

Whether AAMI will still be the sharpest for my needs remains a work in progress as I’ll be shopping around. A given is I’ll not be renewing that policy but might buy a new AAMI policy and save $190; I don’t need their roadside assistance package in any case.

This is not intended to highlight AAMI since they all play similar games, just illustrative that it is an annual project to get quotes, or pay the lazy tax.

3 Likes