Car GPS Navigation and traffic

Most Smartphones do have Bluetooth and as an example Google Maps (and I assume many others) use Wifi and Bluetooth signals to improve location data. These Bluetooth devices use that function to give “accurate” positioning while travelling in the tunnels. My GPS has Bluetooth linkage so I can use my phone handsfree while out and about so it may use that as well, but I’m uncertain if it does.

2 Likes

Yes, I noticed in a recent trip to Sydney that Apple Maps was well aware of our location while driving through the Lane Cove tunnel and others along the main motorways.

Apple appears to be as reliable as Google at tracking traffic. Perhaps for Australia they now all use the same source.

I’ve noticed similar with the mapping. Our digital street maps tend to follow the Qld State Govt online road maps, street names and access/open sections details. Local councils can however change street names and permanently close or not maintain sections of streets and roads. The two levels of government may not be effective in how these differences are communicated. It does confuse traffic when impossible routes are advised. Apple and Google in our area seem to return similar reliable routes, despite some more direct ones evident from the mapping. Perhaps user direct reporting has addressed this for some. We still note numerous vehicles going down local roads to get around traffic issues, only for the drivers to learn the dirt on the ground ends well short of that on the map. Often in a mud hole or creek bed with no bridge!

1 Like

AGPS means the device uses other communications in addition to satellite signal.
Therefore look for AGPS when considering a navigation device or a mobile phone.

4 Likes

For some not so young Aussie drivers, the perception of uncertainty and difficulty of interfacing a small screen mobile to a dumb in car screen is mortifying. In response the car sales person has all the advantage, including a promise of updates. Few seem to ask for details on how often, reliability or future cost.

Back to topic and the currency type displayed.
Having been bitten at least twice in the past (Accor Plus and Agoda, with Jetstar Japan a possible third) by the unclear display in US dollar illusion, I now look very very intently at every detail on the web page and payment options links. The penultimate step is when the screen is asking for your CC details after displaying the total cost.

I no longer proceed if the currency used is not clearly identifiable by more than just a dollar symbol.

2 Likes

Or Google Maps. I removed the GPS from my vehicle and now only use google maps on phone. Update instantly

2 Likes

I’me 72. :grin:

Many thanks for the advice regarding smart phone maps. I have an iPhone but my phone plan provides for only one GB of data per month (Pennytel $10.99 per month). I’m assuming the smart phone maps would be data hungry?

An update on a response from Subaru Australia…none as at 2.29 pm yesterday. I have sent a further email to Subaru Australia as follows

" I note there has been no response to my email below.
Please note that I have now been charged by my bank an international transaction fee of $9.60

A reply to my concerns would be appreciated.

Is there any option to update my Subaru’s maps through Subaru Australia?"

1 Like

This is getting OT about currency, but yes they are in their default states. However many can download maps once and then be set to ‘use offline’. One such app I use is ‘Here We Go’. It is not the most popular and not as pretty as many, but is a good example and easy to learn.

Connect your phone to Wifi, install the app, download your state map, and then set it to ‘offline mode’.

3 Likes

Thanks PhilT, I’ll try the app.

2 Likes

For Android (and iOS) we use the free version of…

Which uses the OpenStreetMaps as its base which is download onto the device. Tom Tom maps are available. No wifi or mobile coverage needed for it to work. Wifi/mobile data only needed to download the mapping for later (offline) use.

It has maps of other countries as well that can be useful when travelling.

2 Likes

The Subaru GPS is Tom Tom???

1 Like

Most inbuilt GPS are custom versions of the Tomtom Carminat

2 Likes