Car Battery Retailing

RACQ has a roughly 48 hour policy of no questions asked refund after you install and buy for RACQ members. I rang to get a refund after doing a price comparison after. RACQ instead offered a partial refund of which the first offer I knocked back but the second offer I accepted.

I trust RACQ in this instance.

48-hour Battery Satisfaction Guarantee

If you’re an RACQ member with an RACQ Roadside Assistance product, you get a 48-hour Battery Satisfaction Guarantee when you buy an RACQ Automotive Battery during a roadside assistance event.

Call us on 1300 764 478 within 48 hours of purchase to enquire about your refund.

Please note:

The original battery removed from your vehicle will not be returned
The returned RACQ Battery must be accompanied by the original proof of purchase and be in new or near new condition with no damage
You can only claim one refund per calendar year
The new battery must be returned to an RACQ authorised stockist within three business days
It is your responsibility to remove the returned battery and return it to a stockist
Applies to Roadside Assistance sales to RACQ members with an RACQ Roadside Assistance product only
Refund will be made by EFT within seven business days
Does not apply to Battery Chargers
Does not apply if the battery product has been modified in any way or is subject to after sales damage
3 Likes

With the continuing cold weather in Sydney, the battery in my grey import was showing its age ( around 5 years ). I called NRMA and requested a visit by the battery van. Van showed up with two guys. One of whom then spent a few minutes directing the other to reverse-park the van at the kerb. To all appearances, the person at the wheel had no experience, and backed up onto the kerb more than once.
Eventually, one of them walked over to where I was standing with my car’s hood open. He played around with his phone for a bit and then announced, “I don’t have a battery for this model. I only have one for the 2008 model.”
I told him that my car model wasn’t produced in 2008. I also pointed out that NRMA knows which make and model of car I own, and asked why he was despatched if he didn’t have a suitable battery.
He shrugged, said “Try Battery World”, and departed.
Next time, I’ll save myself a wasted hour, and just visit Battery World in the first place.

6 Likes

You might check the previously linked reviews of B.W. It might work well noting every franchise can provide a differing experience, but given the price differentials my take away is they are a marketing franchise with ambit priced batteries and lots of arm waving. An alarm battery? $55 at BW (Drypower), $30 at Bunnings (Century). Different brands but same rating and warranties.

I have had good experiences with the Supercharge range, usually priced well at my local Autobarn, YMMV.

A decade ago the battery was dead flat in the cold AM so I bought a delivered and installed battery from RACV Batteries. Calling RACV Batteries today results in ringing the roadside service number and waiting on hold (it was 20 minutes and all they could do was take an order/job), or I could blindly buy it and schedule installation from their web site, no answers to questions forthcoming either way. Went to Autobarn…

6 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Thankfully, the local BW is run by a husband/wife team who offer exemplary service. The price on my Yuasa battery was comparable to other retailers.

6 Likes

My previous car (a Ford) needed a battery replacement every 2 years,
I would call the RACV and they’d install the biggest one available, but it still wasn’t of any use a couple of years later!

My new Toyota was dead to the world only a few days after taking it home.
‘It looks like the battery’ they said ‘call your road side assistance’.
I replied that it was a new car and therefore it was their responsibility.
So a mechanic came and confirmed that the battery was flat. I don’t know what they did but that battery lasted for 8 years and was replaced during a scheduled service. The current one is still going.
I’m not up to date with costs, but I do value convenience, so if during a next service they’ll suggest a new battery I’ll go for it :laughing:

3 Likes

Did NRMA follow-up with a customer survey?

Or did you feedback to NRMA hq? Contact us | NRMA Roadside Assistance | The NRMA

There’s an option for battery and complaints.

4 Likes

This is the key to provision of any service.

It is worth noting that many of the AA service vehicles are also contracted out. Our own local one is to the town’s tow truck/smash repair company. If those you deal with provide good service, are accommodating and empathetic to your needs, it makes a world of difference.

4 Likes

No. I suspect because no actual service was provided. I sent feedback via the site, but only thanks received, nothing more.

4 Likes