Car Battery Retailing

The second thing to ask is what is your minimum charge?

IME those devices are hit or miss, vehicle dependent. So hit and miss that I learnt the pros often don’t even bother messing with them. I tried one myself on the last battery swap and everything got lost. The 9V batteries they often use are not enough; if you have one that uses 12V and know how to connect it, you can ‘win’. The consumer ones going into the old school lighter socket with a 9V battery are often double useless as the lighter circuit gets disconnected when the accessories circuit is off. Again, vehicle dependent.

6 Likes

Agree, second thing to ask “is there a minimum charge?” Some battery chargers (e.g. Bosch C7 https://ao.bosch-automotive.com/en/c7-battery-charger) have a function that can power the vehicle’s electrical system during battery replacement. I used a cheap “Projecta Battery Memory” devise (https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/projecta-ips130?gclid=Cj0KCQjwzN71BRCOARIsAF8pjfh1R7YTK7OtSnnX0HE2c1iH0p9wD0HE9nBOy2W4PiNGVQsS3C3AukMaAiK4EALw_wcB) to provide sufficient (9v) power, when replacing my last battery, without any issues. All my radio presets and SatNav history were retained. When using these devices, it is important to make sure that there are no open circuits, e.g. air-conditioning, fan, interior lights (door or boot left open) and it helps if a fresh 9v battery is used.

5 Likes

The RACQ website also has some good information, answering common questions or addressing myths about car batteries…

https://www.racq.com.au/cars-and-driving/products-and-services/batteries/battery-myths

4 Likes

Im puzzled why some try to excuse Battery World, esp as I thought I explained above ( but now paraphrase):

1. When we called we asked for a battery to buy only. told $49 I know how to fit, but its a nuisance job so “how much to fit?” was a follow up question. and no memory error as I listened to the recording of the call. Its crystal clear - no room for error.
    2 When I stood in front of the priced shelf, battery and note in one hand, and store owner next to me an asked him to explain the price diference he offered no words - just a sheepish shrug.
2 Likes

But Mark you forget that as an RACQ member, I have already paid for the roadside assistance - the service call. So while a B&M store has overheads, and so does a mobile battery retailer - the correct accounting for the RACQ battery sales should have none … as i already paid for that in my membership.

2 Likes

Have we?
Do we get a credit each year when not making any call outs?
Are we paying for the availability of the service, more than the ‘true’ cost?
And
Isn’t the RACQ and it’s interstate cousins a not for profit organisation?
We do have voting rights, if I remember the last AGM reliably.

Whether it pays to belong, might be a different discussion.
There are other options.

4 Likes

The ‘auto’ clubs have developed a diverse range of businesses beyond road services. Each is its own P/L centre. batteries, alternators, starters, insurance, solar, alarm systems and monitoring, resorts, emergency home maintenance plans, property inspections, loans (!), property management, travel services, ticketing, … just scanning what RACV offers. I probably missed some there are so many.

‘You’ paid the auto club for ‘roadside assist service’ for a breakdown on the road, flat tyre, or flat battery. Their promise is to get you going again although most plans include ‘minor repairs’. Can it be more minor than a battery swap? Possibly not.

But if you look deeply enough you may find the battery business may not [always] be the auto club itself, but may be a business unit or (location dependent) a licensed use of the logo and referrals from a central number.

As with Jim’s [everything services] the auto clubs are brands with products and services often being supplied by ‘partners’ (franchisees?) who pay to play and use the logo. They receive fees for servicing the ‘plan’.

All that being written, I agree that an auto club battery sale should not have $add-ons for delivery and installation. They cynically know the market and set their price and service to compete with the marketplace, eg what it will bear; not what provides the best value to its membership in all cases. For every roadside plan I venture to think a small number need it, so it is probably a very profitable business unit; for the rest, PAYG?

5 Likes

Just replaced my Hyundae OEM battery after 10 years of hard service, since I bought the 2.5 litre diesel ILoad,
I shopped arround, independent garage, Repco, Sprint and an Auto Electrical business. Prices for a 720 CCA, 12v battery ranged from $230- 250, the Auto Electrical business offered an Exide, 810

CCA, 95 amp/hr, 3 year warranty for $198, cash, with a printed receipt/warranty, fully charged, I took it home and self installed. After I cleaned and repainted the battery platform. My advice, shop arround, I’m quite happy. I must add I have no personal interest/friends in the auto electrical business or the brand.

9 Likes

This kind of behaviour is common everywhere where people do not understand or have time to make better decisions & or are based on emotional blackmail i.e. Funeral expenses in some instances can be extraordinary, Such is life !

6 Likes

My issue is that my car battery went flat because I left the light on. The NRMA “tested” It and said it was critically low and I would need a new one despite the old battery only been 2-3 years old. I asked him to jumpstart it and he used a portable machine and couldn’t manage to jumpstart it and said again I needed a new battery. He told me batteries only last three years.
I Resisted and asked a neighbour to help me who jumpstarted it with no problems at all and it has been fine ever since (six months or so). I have two main issues. The NRMA should have mechanics who know how to jumpstart cars. And they shouldn’t try and sell batteries when they’re not needed (terrible for the environment and our pockets). I wonder how many other people had bought batteries because the NRMA couldn’t start their perfectly fine but flat battery. I have cancelled my membership.

7 Likes

We have one of the battery jump starters powered by a small (maybe AA size, have not opened it up to see) Lithium batteries, which easily starts our old 2.8l diesel. Once an engine is running, all loads can be met by the alternator, and you can even recharge the jump starter for next time. Handy for helping others with flat batteries too, we think it was a good investment. If your car battery is on the way out, it gives you some time to shop around for a good deal, rather than being held hostage to whomever arrives to get you going.
Most people probably do not realise that a single 2.5AH rechargeable AA battery stores enough energy to start a car. However, it wont be able to deliver the power at a suitable voltage and current. High discharge current capacity Lithium batteries can deliver the current, and are put in series to deliver ~12V for the starter motor.

6 Likes

My experience with the RACV was likewise.

7 Likes

Apparently we did have the battery replaced some 18 months ago.

When I turned into our street a few days ago, warning messages suddenly appeared on the instrument panel showing “Check VSA”, “Check Hill Start Assist” and “Check Power Steering”

I suspected that the main combined fuse had blown as pressing the VSA switch did nothing so I called the local Honda dealer’s spare parts department.

A mere $38 and not in stock. Has to come from Melbourne. Too bad if one had a fuse failure whilst travelling.

I Googled the symptons and received this response on a forum.

"Question about 2013 Acura RDX

Open Question

All are on: Check power steering system/check hill start assist system/ check vsa system/ check awd system."

“Replace your battery…I just went through that same scenario and it freaked me out to begin with. They were just false readings though due to the battery being all but dead.”

I could not get the fuse out so I asked a neighbour who spends his time tinkering with vehicles who managed to get the fuse out, and I checked it with my meter. All OK so $38 not wasted.

He plugged his tester into the OBD port and it was displaying some 58 fault codes. He said that he believed that the battery must be on the way out, and in his experience with BMW’s, such faults are always caused by a faulty battery.

I drove to Fast Fit Batteries who checked the battery and confirmed that it was faulty so they replaced it under warranty.

Total cost was around $2 for fuel.

I hate to think what could happen to an owner who had a rip-off merchant look at their vehicle.

The neighbour’s latest project is a Holden Astra which had several problems when he bought it including a retractable roof that would not operate.

He was told the problem would be the hydraulic pump which costs around $5,000 new or around $1,000 second hand.

He managed to accesss the pump and found that one “o” ring was incorrect so he bought two “o” rings for 47 cents, fitted them and the roof now works fine.

He also told me of his experience with a shonky mechanical workshop when he wanted a roadworthy done and the owner told him the vehicle had a bad oil leak that would require the transmission to be dropped so as to replace the rear main seal in the engine and would cost around $1,000.

He drove home and checked the vehicle and found no oil leaks so he returned to the business and confronted the owner who immediately issued the roadworthy certificate.

One has to wonder just how much money these grubs fleece consumers for when they have no idea if they are being lied to.

2 Likes

Just wanted to share about my daughter’s experience. She’s a nurse and after a long shift returned to her car and it wouldn’t start. The RACQ patrol arrived, clearly with processes in place for dealing with the hospital’s multi-storey restricted access car park and ended up supplying and installing a new battery. At home that night she mentioned how the now replaced battery was barely two years old. Upon checking the RACQ website, different batteries have differing warranty lengths and it was not clear what type the one replaced was. So a quick email to RACQ. asking for consideration of a warranty claim because, if anything, at the most it was one month out of warranty. They replied saying they would have to confirm details about battery condition, advice given etc with the patrol man. They came back offering a full refund as a goodwill gesture for a battery one month out of cover. Kudos to RACQ as I have a very happy daughter. All our house insurances and 5 cars are insured with them so they collect a decent amount annually from us but this was good service.

9 Likes

Great to see RACQ provided a refund.

We got a RACQ replacement battery in 2012… and it is still in the car going strong (touch wood). The OEM battery lasted 9 years, and maybe the RACQ will last longer.

Edit: just checked the battery and it was installed on 30/03/2012. Would have no problems using another battery provided by an AA club…its life far more than than one could expect.

Edit 2: The first frosty morning of the year resulted in the battery collapsing. The battery was replaced on the 22 April 2022, after 10 years and 22 days fault-free service. We have replaced it with the current version of the calcium lead acid battery from the RACT. Will be interesting to see if we get similar performance from the new battery.

6 Likes

Great to hear about a good experience. Thanks for sharing. I have moved your post to an existing thread to do with car batteries.

I have been using RACQ to replace our vehicle batteries for over a decade now, and all our experiences with them have been very good.

6 Likes

Marshall battery seem pretty good i look around to check prices my car is a diesel totally getting ripped off only last no more than 3 years on average or less. Nrma i always stay clear of. I was told by another marshall installer that the batteries installed are less lasting and most cannot be repaired. Manufacturers want us, all to buy more surely it would make sense to have it repaired rather than a new battery. Choice should test different car batteries for quality and longevity.

2 Likes

Unfortunately installers/retailers will say anything to try and persuade a customer to buy their products…and remain loyal to them.

NRMA supply the same batteries as other automobile associations (it gives them purchasing power). Our last battery supplied by our AA lasted just over 10 years. See the above post. It is far from the claims made by Marshall.

Most modern batteries are also sealed, so they can’t be repaired.

6 Likes

I have looked at prices any way doesn’t really seem to make much difference

1 Like

I would say the dentist who charged more when in pain is unethical.

However the shop who charges more (double seems unreasonable) is just charging according to supply and demand. When it rains there’s more demand for umbrellas and by charging accordingly he makes sure there’s enough umbrellas around otherwise umbrellas may run out leaving none and there is value left on the table.

It’s foreseeable that it will rain, there is free publicly available climate information and if you’re poorer you can buy in advance and cheaper and those without foresight subsidize your cheaper purchase.

1 Like