Call me paranoid -. Data mining?

Was thinking of purchasing a Chinese brand of robot vacuum with wifi ability to map floors. They also update via device. You must register your purchase and now wondering if they are likely to data mine!

Hi @Query, welcome to the community.

Very unlikely. …if you are worried, buy one that works without wifi function operating. Looking online, wifi is there for remote operation and programming. If the wifi connection is not secure, then the risks of access to your network through wifi increases.

3 Likes

Thanks. This was helpful. Am very careful about info i share.

1 Like

Have a look at what data is captured by Instagram … it’s impossible to disable location services for the app yet they (Facebook) have your mobile number, email address any other information provided during sign-up. Deleted my Instagram account today - you can’t do it from the app but need to login to Instagram from a web browser and find the hidden web page to action the deletion. You will need to do a search on “delete account” or similar in your browser.

2 Likes

You are so right. There is so much info out there and Dutton wants even more!
Am thinking of dumping facebook as it is targeting me with certain posts and i am being sucked in.
Would like to keep insta and will just not comment. I just enjoy looking at posts by people who interest me. No doubt will still be captured but hopefully less,so ??
Will buy Chinese robot because is what i want and to hell with consequences! Am 74, so not so interesting!

1 Like

Meant to thank you lots for replies and good info. V

1 Like

I was also thinking if the robot vacuum maps your rooms to avoid obstacles (rather than a random bump and turn around), such data may be stored within the vacuum. Is it useful to others if the data is released into the wrong hands…no, not unless they break in when it is pitch black, crawl around the floor and don’t want to bump into anything in the case a noise is made.

Good luck with your future purchase and you are more than welcome to post information about your new robot vacuum and how you think it performs on the Choice Community. Such information may be useful to others also considering similar purchases.

2 Likes

Still laughing at those floor crawlers!

1 Like

Try using something like Facebook Container or the more expansive Multi-Account Container add ons. While they don’t stop all collection they can help disassociate you from a lot of the tracking that Facebook Inc does via it’s various offerings

Homepages for Mozilla branches:

2 Likes

Such great info. Love this sort of stuff!

3 Likes