Bunnings Website Advertised Price lower than actual buy price on some items

When looking up an Item on Google, Bunnings pops up in the searches with the item and price. However when you investigate further and enter store location the price increases(Usually). Bunnings has very questionable marketing tactics, that in my opinion is in breach of Australian Consumer Law [Competition and Consumer Act 2010](Misleading and Deceptive Conduct) The algorithm on their website post the cheapest Australian price from their product database. This should be corrected to only post a price once your geographic location has been identified(Like the Repco Website) or post the highest price or set the same price Australia wide. Their reasoning from management was increased transportation cost add to the total cost of the product by location.
To demonstrate lookup the item Exide Extreme XDIN88MF in incognito made, then select your store. Bet its more expensive. This in my opinion is misleading-deceptive and needs to be corrected.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Community @sick_of_being_ripped

That is a function of Google, not Bunnings. Google’s bots troll web sites for data and return it on search. Location services are far from exact. For about 2 years ‘the internet’ located me in Perth, not Melbourne. I’ll admit I visited Perth a few decades back, but not since :wink:

Not only doesn’t Google know where you are, but neither does ‘the internet’ itself, nor necessarily Bunnings. Consider the alternative where you got nothing about an Exide battery excepting the sellers web name, and you had to go to each one to ascertain their price, some being ridiculously high, others looking reasonable even though not their final delivered prices to or for your location.

That being written, users having precise location services on a mobile can be precisely located. Those on NBN are located at their point of presence where their service ‘meets’ with the NBN, or where the RSP servers are located that could be 100s or 1000s of kms from where one sits.

I’ll have to disagree. Your issue is with Google, not Bunnings.

2 Likes

Assume mode there. However, you are deliberately trying to stop a Web site from customising what it may remember about you as a customer. And display to you.

I think your issue is self-inflicted really by using incognito mode.

Hi PhilT,
thank you for your very correct observation.
I don’t think I’ve explained my self clearly enough.
If I’m a business with a website I have control over how Google(The Search Engine) delivers my marketing content(Thorough favourable SEO{Search Engine Optimisation} content) to your browers(Chrome) and I’m going to do it in way that’s favourable to ranking(get my product and website ranked above competitors either first or higher). Google uses a $ amount metric in its algorithm to assist in website/page ranking.
In my opinion and with reference to Australian Consumer Law(Section 18) when a website has been purposefully engineered to present the cheapest national price that only exists in one or a few locations when your location isn’t determined then you assume that said price is the offer. However, when you then enter your location the price increases. This, I believe to be misleading and falls into ACL Section 18. This could be easily corrected by not displaying a price until your location has been determined, either by your Search Engine looking up your public IP Address or local device Browser Cache or even your browser setting cookies.
Typical consumers are unaware of the tricks big business do to improve - increase their SEO - rankings for marketing.
Surprisingly, an up and coming Investigative Journalist reached out and is investigating this further and this is actually not uncommon in advertising and marketing, especially from large national or multinational companies.

I did a few product searches and despite what google displayed, when I went to the bunnings site it showed me the store it thought was ‘my store’ as well as the price and inventory there, with the ability to change the store and thus the pricing and inventory information. (Lets not get into the accuracy or often lack thereof for the inventory information.)

An honest question is what do you want? Assuming neither the internet nor google can authoritatively locate a person, often within even hundreds of km, or other times within a few metres, device dependent, would you describe what you want to see when searching on a product? All possible prices? The highest price anywhere nationally? The price wherever the net or google thinks one is rightly or wrongly located? No price?

Similarly, if you were in a shopping area and saw one of the irritating signs ‘Up to 80% off’ displayed but that was for only for a pink and purple garden flamingo ornament and everything else was from RRP to 5% off is that ‘up to’ false advertising, a come on to get one into the shop, or something else? How does that differ from a google return?

I wish that up and coming journalist well i making a case for [what do you or that journalist want to see].

Success, but unsure how Bunnings have changed their algorithm. Hopefully for the better.
All locations appear to publish the same price(Quick Fix). This will reduce confusion and present the same consideration to all parties.
Well done Bunnings.
This could be easily rectified to increase the customer experience whilst optimising SE(Search Engine) ranking and overall organic SEO.