Brain training apps

@RosPage explores brain training apps, including tips to find the best program.

Do you have an experience with these apps? Let us know in the comments below.

1 Like

Thanks for the link.

I must say I object to the concept of having to pay for these.

I believe that if payment is required, it should be covered by Medicare or private health insurance in the same way as physical exercise training can sometimes be claimed. After all, if these work, they would save the Government a lot of money by keeping people out of the health care and nursing home systems for a longer time. Surely that anticipated savings could be invested into these programs.

Let’s get rash, and even dream that the Department of Health(s) could let contracts for the apps and provide one or more of these apps to all Australians (via Medicare number) at no cost.

4 Likes

Great idea @meltam , I’d love to see it become a reality.

1 Like

I signed up to the ABC Active Memory but got bored with it as I was already at the upper end of their scores, and I found it was hand/eye co-ordination and internet speed that were the barriers. I couldn’t click any faster and some activities had a delay with up/down load but the clock kept going, or I clicked where something was, only to have an error as the screen was still re-drawing. Long after I left I was informed that the database had been breached and email & passwords revealed.

I have not tried any other Brain Training on-line, but I am an avid learner and do puzzles (crosswords, cryptics, logic, maths & codes) and jigsaws in my spare time. My ABC experience has put me off doing them (on-line training aps).

1 Like

If you haven’t already have a look here for some online games such as crosswords. https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/fun/games

2 Likes

Been there, done them; now Mr Google thinks I am a decrepit, gullible retiree and keeps peddling adverts accordingly. I take a puzzle book with me for waiting rooms, long trips etc. The print version doesn’t keep dropping out in dead spots or slowing to a crawl. I like the kind of puzzle you can mull over (cryptics are good), or nut out (what if’s in difficult giant suduko). The on-line versions are too clunky, or can be “got around” by trying answers (suduko highlights numbers you got right) rather than working it out logically. The on-line “brain training” seems to be linked more to speed than sustained logic. I play the Windows card games, with 100% on Free Cell after 5,000+ and good scores on Solitaire & others. I used to play while waiting for a page to load, but now we have faster internet I don’t play much, but when I do, I feel bored with it and should be doing something more constructive.

2 Likes

I like using Lumosity - it meets the criteria regarding different levels and challenges although I am not sure about the research behind it. A friend recommended it and it was mentioned in one finance magazines. I started by using the free version via an App on my Android Phone and now subscribe to the full version. I enjoy playing the games which is good enough for me.

1 Like

Alzheimer’s Australia has one called BrainyApp. I downloaded this app when it first came out but like one of the other contributors here I too became bored by the levels of difficulty so deleted it. Recently I decided to give the app another go. I was surprised to find to use the app I would have to sign in via my Facebook account or sign up manually eg give my email address, create a password & agree to terms & conditions. No thanks!

1 Like

Here’s a short video on how to find the best brain training apps:

1 Like

I think my brain falls under the category " You can’t teach an old dog new tricks " :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like